North Dome and Sherrill - A confession

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halia and flammeus

Reaction score
Portrait of a malinois at play (serious business!)
It all started last night with a trip to Gander Mountain. Blaze orange vests for the dogs – we don’t have any. I chose the cheap kind… I just couldn’t stomach the thought of $40 per dog for clothing. Even protective clothing. Pennywise…:rolleyes:

That meant that we got home late, and chose to get a good night sleep instead of staying up for a while prepping packs etc. We’ll get ready in the morning – we’ll just get up earlier. Mmm hmmm.

We arranged with the owners and caretakers and their army of administrators to hike in from Timber Lake Camp. Making these arrangements involved multiple phone calls and faxes and notes and a peacock (no, I’m not just checking that you are reading this – a peacock was involved – but that’s another story). Permission was granted and we headed up to the camp a tad later than we originally planned. The “early start” turned out to be hitting the trail at 9:40 a.m. :mad: There are pros and cons – I prefer an early start because I need the time to get into and out of trouble during daylight hours. But it was bloody cold early. And then the breeze picked up. Ugh.

The trail starts behind the gymnastics pavilion, and is killer steep almost immediately. For the next hour, the trail alternated between brutally steep sections and then moderate uphill sections. At the one hour point, we were at a ledge – a rocky outcropping visible from the camp. It was breathtaking – very clear, some autumn color (lots of rusty shades), but the distances – jeepers. It was up there among all times best views – south down to the Burroughs Range and Ashokan High Point, across to the west shoulder of West Kill, and just sweeping layer after layer to the Gunks, and across to the Hudson Highlands. Wicked. :D

I don’t remember what happened next too well. Tom tells me it was pretty steep up to the summit. I was pumped up and psyched and it was maybe 30 minutes and there we were. The summit lies beyond beech and oak forest that seems endless – and then suddenly the herd path leads up to some balsams and it is a typical Catskills balsam dominated summit. We played a tolerable game of hide and seek with the canister, ate sandwiches and headed off to the west, for Sherrill.

By now both dogs have managed to remove their vests. :rolleyes: Tom is planning the safety vests redesign out loud, using telecommunications equipment to improve their fastening apparatus.

We stumbled upon an amazing bear area – colossal scats :D and cool rock formations – on the way down ND into the col. We made a lot of noise approaching. Very cool.

The col is quite wet, and the dogs got to drink heartily from both running and standing water.

Heading up Sherrill was tough. Also very steep, and very rocky with cliffs here and there. And did I mention steep?

At the top of the ascent section, I started singing. :eek: First it was a Counting Crows song (Hanginaround – heard it in the car on the way to the trailhead). It rapidly degenerated into a country tune about looking for the canister. Then it became my opinions about canisters and summits and disappearing herd paths :mad:… thank god no one was up there.

We found a red hiking pole at the summit. Tom used it on the way down and left it with the caretaker. He fiddled with it a lot while at the summit. I nagged and rolled my eyes, but then he got out his leatherman to enhance his tinkerings. We hit this summit at 1 pm.

We found the view spot just south of the summit and took a gabillion photos there. It was on my short list of best places in the Catskills – what an amazing view. Thomas Cole and Black Dome, maybe KHP too? All the Devil’s Path peaks although from that angle I couldn’t pick them out for sure, the Burroughs Range, the distant stuff… the cloves… it was just lovely.

Back down to the col without incident. But then Tommy had an idea. I know, it’s my job to argue with his ideas, but it really wasn’t a bad idea… it just didn’t work out. We decided to skirt ND’s summit, to avoid all the elevation gain and loss, and aim for the trail we took up from the camp by just circling the south side of the summit and aiming for the ledge to pick up the trail.

We never found the ledge. We wandered around near it for a while as the afternoon sun sank and I got worried. Finally I got a decent view down into the valley and could see the camp clearly. Ok, forget the trail, we’ll just whack down and head for the camp.

Those of you that know ND are shaking your heads at our foolishness. Oy vey. We did ok for a while, but we hit killer cliffs and we got in too deep. Lily actually fell down a ravine and amazingly was not hurt. We did our best to pick a spot where we could get down without getting injured and made it but it was Not Good. We were in a too steep area for at least a mile or so – really struggling with the terrain and the footing, and trying to hustle as the caretaker had warned us that if we weren’t back by 5 or so, he’d call for rescuers. It was after 3, we were not on the trail, and I was not singing any more.

Finally I could see a more mellow, level area down below. After 15 or so minutes there, we found an unmarked trail, and then popped out on a woods road. We were close to the camp, so we just followed it and eventually ended up at the far end of the lake.

And so #s 32 and 33 are completed, and all’s well that ends well. At least we made our way to the correct valley (that was Tom’s comment). Despite being pretty well beat up by that dumb wack (it wasn’t all the times I fell that beat me up – it’s all the times I didn’t – all that straining to stay upright is exhausting!), I definitely loved these mountains. They have a real energy of wildness and remoteness, and those views… they were amazing.

photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30705651@N02/

Last edited:
Nice trip report and good pics. Based on the pics, it looks like the Catskills are past peak already and some of the trees are even leafless. What a contrast from a week ago! Those cliffs on North Dome are mighty.

But then Tommy had an idea. I know, it’s my job to argue with his ideas, but it really wasn’t a bad idea… it just didn’t work out. We decided to skirt ND’s summit, to avoid all the elevation gain and loss, and aim for the trail we took up from the camp by just circling the south side of the summit and aiming for the ledge to pick up the trail.

My first trip to those peaks, I tried to skirt around the north side and ended up with some uncomfortable side-hilling for awhile. I've read other reports with equally undesirable results. After 3 more trips to those peaks, I've come to the conclusion that it's easier to just go back over whichever summit you climbed first. The climb up either is steep, but at least it's fairly short. And it's always fun. I've approached from the east and west two times each now, but never from Timber Lake, and I've also yet to do an end-to-end.

Matt

uncomfortable side-hilling

is that the correct terminology? It is the perfect description of some of that floundering we were doing. Side-hilling and plenty of slipping and falling. I was thinking about erosion and feeling guilty, when I wasn't concentrating on my next step. I agree going back over the top seems like the way to handle it, despite the elevation changes. I really loved that boulder field on the east side of Sherrill - it was fun.

What did you mean by end to end?

250px-Pseudopleuronectes_americanus.jpg

Congratulations Halia, you are the winner of the "first use of the term Flounder" in a hiking sense award for Fall 2008. You win your choice of Tartar sauce or Cole Slaw! Woohoo!

Flounder, it's what we hike for! :)

Trees are really bare in the western parts of the catskills, way more pronounced than Plateau and Sugarloaf it seems...

Sounds like a good trip, any trip you get out unscathed is good in my book. Surely you learned a few things and got to explore some lesser used approaches to ND.

Jay

is that the correct terminology? It is the perfect description of some of that floundering we were doing. Side-hilling and plenty of slipping and falling.
Yes, side-hilling is a common term for walking down or across a hill, while not going straight down. Any time you feel like you're about to roll your ankle, it's side hilling! :D

250px-Pseudopleuronectes_americanus.jpg

Congratulations Halia, you are the winner of the "first use of the term Flounder" in a hiking sense award for Fall 2008. You win your choice of Tartar sauce or Cole Slaw! Woohoo!

Flounder, it's what we hike for! :)

Trees are really bare in the western parts of the catskills, way more pronounced than Plateau and Sugarloaf it seems...

Sounds like a good trip, any trip you get out unscathed is good in my book. Surely you learned a few things and got to explore some lesser used approaches to ND.

Jay

thanks for the fish! awesome!

:D:D:D
H

You're welcome, although I was expecting 'So Long, and thanks for all the fish' :D

Laurie (Moore) Rankin was the first recipient of the Flounder award for outstanding use of ther term "Flounder" in a hiking sense. :)

Jay

Last edited:

:p Oops, sorry, actually not sure if you two were married at the time of the First Flounder Award... I couldn't find the thread on AHP.com either in my quick search. Anyway, pass my congratulations to Laurie for her membership as the first flounder award recipient! It's quite the achievement. Being #2 as Halia is also no slouch, it's a very elite club!

Jay

Argh!!! I'll never settle for being #2!!! How can I triumph???? Is there a snapper award?

Anyway - side-hilling is a lovely term - sounds so technical. When I do it, it looks a whole lot more like side-spilling.

Matt - when you mentioned end to end, I wondered if you were referring to the entirety of the Devil's Path - adding these two on to the end of that trail would be truly extreme!

We were hoping to have Peakbagr along with us for this one - he was planning to join us but still sidelined by his cold. We would have done it with him as an end to end - up at Timber Lake and out on Route 42. With just Tom and I, we generally don't do a two car approach unless we have to.

So why is it that when you don't need to or even want to, you can find the same spot in the woods, no problem, but when it's important... it is impossible. That stupid trail was like a needle in a haystack! At one point I found an unmaintained trail, north of the ledge (I think) with old yellowish blazes mostly faded off, and a few trees had arrows painted on them. Was that the herd path from Spruceton Road? How far is that from the expletive ledge?

:confused:
H

Really sorry I missed missed hiking with you guys and have wanted to do the route from Timberlake for years.
Another good thing about having me along, I would have thrown myself off the nearest cliff :eek: before sidehilling all the way back around ND. ;)

How about "Contravlunking?"

Flammeus at the keyboard:

While descriptive, Side-hilling seems a bit mundane for the too oft repeated acrobatics of maintaining one's footing while traversing those REALLY closely spaced contour lines. The "lunk" is the sound you make when you fall back on to your daypack for the umteenth time. You don't get the wind knocked out of you because the slope is so danged steep that it's only a foot or two from your backside. When you finally get down to something resembling level ground you find that you have woodland debris absolutely effin' everywhere; pockets, hair, boot tips and underwear. You're thankful that the compass lanyard held but wondering if you're EVER going to be able to effectively use it; and that spare PBJ has been transfromed into an unrecognizeable ball of goo and plastic wrap.

Ok fine, maybe some of y'all are sure-footed as mountaingoats but even our run-up-the-wall Matix dogs had a tough time of it. Anybody for an orienteering guided hike/lesson? :)

From Halia:
Alan - I kept thinking "Thank God I don't have to be embarrassed in front of Alan!" You know - Tom and I do most of our hiking alone. If I keep writing these "tell all" trail reports, I bet that trend will continue!!!:D

Uhh..yeah..that always works!!;)

Great job!! You are getting close! Where do you plan to finish??

I read your trip report from your Devil in a Day - you got up before many Woodstockers go to bed!!! You are my "hit the trail early" heroine!

We still need Fir :mad: and Doubletop, and Blackhead in winter. We plan/hope to nab Fir and DT this fall. Maybe all in one hike - Big Indian in the middle... from Biscuit Brook? Or explore getting permission and heading up from the YMCA camp? You heading out this way this fall? We just have to be careful re: DT and hunters - I wouldn't do it during shotgun season - blaze orange or not!

:)
H

:p Oops, sorry, actually not sure if you two were married at the time of the First Flounder Award... I couldn't find the thread on AHP.com either in my quick search. Anyway, pass my congratulations to Laurie for her membership as the first flounder award recipient! It's quite the achievement. Being #2 as Halia is also no slouch, it's a very elite club!

Jay
Laurie wants to know when the check will arrive? :D

Count me in for a November Fir trip. After being there 3x in Decembers and 1x in October, I'm ready for a November or January foray. Up Fir and out over Spruce. Rob and I did that a couple of Autumns ago and it was really nice. There's a neat little grotto in the Fir Spruce col that reminded us a little of the Caudel on Thom Cole. Bookah and I would also be game for November D'top trip if you guys would like. PM with some possible 'when' dates?

Alan

ps Halia, don't worry about being embarassed in front of anyone. I've gotten lost on some epics over the years. One, a club trip I led with 14 participants, commemorated by a framed caricature :eek: presented to me in front of 150 people and hanging in my family room.

November forays....eh...all starting to sound good! Dog friendly whacks...sweet!

Nuthin' beats wandering around in open woods in the Catskills during deer season.

Puulease keep me in the loop...that is if you don't mind hiking with me. :D

Weekend after Thanksgiving is out for me....

Sabrina,

There are hunters on the Fir approach in the winter. With a good sized group and lots of noise and orange probably not much of an issue. Bookah starts wearing (uncooperatively) her orange gun dog vest with the opening of the muzzle loading season. With enough chit chat the hunters can hear us coming quite a way off and once we start climbing generally run out of hunters. Good to see you guys again.
And congrats again on the NE111 !