North & South Twin Mtns.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Herrmann

Reaction score
Does anyone have info on the North Twin TR. as far as water crossings? Planning a trip this weekend and would appreciate any updates. Thanks.
Steve Herrmann

The Little River drains into the Ammonoosuc, which is shown here: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=01137500

I'm not sure what number would make it sketchy but I have crossed easily at 300 CFPS and it's currently just under 400. Of course the LR is not the only tributary.

Maybe I should again lobby for the nearest stream gauge reading in the conditions reports.

Tim

Does anyone have info on the North Twin TR. as far as water crossings? Planning a trip this weekend and would appreciate any updates. Thanks.
Steve Herrmann
Steve,

As of last Saturday (3/13/2010) the flow of Little River seemed very low (visual check). The three crossings of Little River were all solid. Pictures of each crossing are included in the slideshow that accompanies the report referenced above.

If you decide to do the traverse that includes Gale River Trail the two crossings of Gale River were solid as well.

The weather history indicates the area has received well under one inch of rain over the past three days, which should not be enough to cause a problem. You can check the forecast for the remainder of the week but it appears dry.

Enjoy the hike!

The crossings were bridged on Saturday, 3/13. We followed the bushwhack path, which skipped the first two crossings. The North Twin Trail is difficult to follow on the upper section.

Earl beat me to it!

Last edited:
Anyone done the Twin trail over the last day or so? I might be heading up that way Saturday and am a bit wary of that last Little River crossing.

not sure about the crossings but i did an out and back from south with a certain california girl on Wed and was on the trail 90% of the time so you should be in good shape there. good luck with the river.