Northern Lights

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There was a big sunspot that occured on Monday which has the potential to form some impressive northern lights (as well as raise havoc with power grids and other technology over most of this week). Probably worth keeping an eye out on the sky the next few nights if its clear. 2012 is currently forecasted to be the peak of sunspot activity in this cycle so expect to see more frequent potential for Northern Lights. over the next 18 months.

I will let the doomsayers fill in all the other potential problems associated with Sunspots.

I looked last night but it was overcast in Manchester, NH. It's been a few years since I've seen them, always in Maine. The first time, driving north on Route 95, I thought the City of Portland was on fire! My parents remember seeing them in Malden and Medford, Massachusetts many years ago.

Here's one forwarded by my friend from his friend in Norway taken on 2/14:

Aystein-Lunde-Ingvaldsen1_strip%5B1%5D.jpg

I've been on the lookout too. Last night and tonight were supposed to be possible nights for the auroras. I saw one from my back yard around 2003, I'd say. Very cool. Sadly if you're colorblind you might not see anything so spectacular.

Thanks for posting. Hope to get a clear night this week for them.

I've only seen them once, also in Maine, in 2000 about halfway through the 100-mile wilderness. Mostly violets.

Great pic Chip. That's incredible.

Looked at 1:30 am this (Sat) morning. It was clear with stars visible, but no aurora.

Just checked my 6m (ham) radio (Sat, 9:30am)--there is a high background noise level which is often indicative of aurora. (The north magnetic pole points toward the sun during the day, so the aurora is more common or stronger during the day. You just can't see it... :) ) Haven't heard any aurora bounce signals yet, which would be definitive evidence.

Doug

Looked at 1:30 am this (Sat) morning. It was clear with stars visible, but no aurora.

Just checked my 6m (ham) radio (Sat, 9:30am)--there is a high background noise level which is often indicative of aurora. (The north magnetic pole points toward the sun during the day, so the aurora is more common or stronger during the day. You just can't see it... :) ) Haven't heard any aurora bounce signals yet, which would be definitive evidence.

Doug

I looked late last night and very early morning under clear skies here at 54 degrees south in Ushuaia, but no aurora. High and mid-level clouds came in this afternoon, but will hope that they clear again tonight. The near full moon was spectacular over the mountains to the west.

Dr. D, that must be a incredible nature experience living there...

Here's an excellent site for monitoring space weather...

http://www.spaceweather.com/

You can keep up to date on sunspots, solar flares and CMEs, which produce northern lights at our lattitude.

In the left-hand column, notice the "current auroral oval" which will show how far south current auroral activity is happening.

If a CME is due to impact Earth and the IMF(interplanetary magnetic field) is south, chances for lights are optimal for us. If you read this site these terms will quickly become familiar.

Last edited:
The north magnetic pole points toward the sun during the day
In the Western Hemisphere...

so the aurora is more common or stronger during the day.
Not the main Solar-driven brilliant displays, which are caused by activity in the night side of the magnetosphere.

Presumably, those photos were taken from your location in Alaska?? Regardless, they are awesome! Thanks for posting!

Wonderful photos, Sheomet; thanks for posting.

Was Fairbanks breaking records for warmth this winter?
Actually we did set one record high temp, on Jan 2nd it reached 41F which was pretty phenomenal. The coldest it got was -44F.