Northwest Bay Brook to Montcalm Point - Lk. George

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat T

Reaction score
Yesterday (8/31) was about as beautiful a day as we have seen all summer. We recently invested in a second Hornbeck and decided that our first trip would be on Lake George.

We put in at the Northwest Bay Brook fishing access. The parking lot was almost full at 11 am. We only had about 4 hours for our paddle and were able to make it to Montcalm Point and back. It was a relaxed and comfortable pace with two stops for lunch and a swim.

We stopped at an island about a mile before Montcalm Point for lunch. It is a pretty spot with a sandy bay for swimming. I managed to step in clay when getting out of my canoe. My feet got stuck in the clay and I took an unexpected swim. I should have gotten out of the canoe in a little deeper water. Lunch was fun until the house flies arrived. From this point on they were bothersome whenever we got too close to shore.

The only difficult section was when we rounded the Point into the Narrows area. While the bay had been almost wind free, there was a fresh breeze picking up in the Narrows and that, combined with boat chop, made for a bumpy paddle. The Hornbecks handle this well, just bouncing around on top of the waves, but you don't get a sense of making any progress. Anyway, it was time for us to turn back and enjoy the calmer waters of Northwest Bay.

On the return, we stopped at the small island just where the brook empties into the lake. Took another swim and headed upstream for the return.

It is a beautiful area. We saw many, many canoes and kayaks. At one point we overheard two guys in a motor boat lamenting the fact that all the paddlers were getting in the way of their water skiing. Gave me a good chuckle.

It was surprising how many of the maples have begun to change color in the marshes.

Pat T

Yup, I've noticed some trees in the catskills starting to change.

Nice trip, have never been to Lake george, but would make for a fun post-season kayak I think.

Jay

We just got a pair of Hornbecks this summer. This sounds like a great trip in a couple of weeks. Could you describe where the access is?

Thanks for a great report and planting the seed.

Alan

Peakbagr said:
Could you describe where the access is?
There is a boat landing and parking lot at the head of Northwest Bay, right next to where the stream crosses the road.

I've hiked partway out toward Montcalm Pt. A nice walk. (The trail is on the east side of the bay.)

Doug

Take I-87 to Exit 24. Follow the Riverbank/Bolton Landing Road to Route 9N. Turn left (north) on 9N. A little over 3 miles and you will see a sign on the right for a "Fishing Access". If you get to the Clay Meadows trailhead, you went too far.

Have a great trip. We are thinking about Henderson Lake to Duck Hole on the 13th but are a little concerned about the carry between Henderson and Preston. We did get the backpack rigs for carrying the Hornbecks but have not had a chance to practice using them.

Another really nice paddle, not too far from Albany, is Lake Luzerne to First Lake, followed by dinner and ice cream at Papa's!

Pat T

Last time I was there there were rattlesnake warning signs-- as you paddle out you certainly go by a spit of land that has a den.

Remix said:
Last time I was there there were rattlesnake warning signs-- as you paddle out you certainly go by a spit of land that has a den.
Tongue Mtn and Northwest Bay in general have a fairly high population of rattle snakes.

I've never seen one there in 10+ hikes.

Doug

Last edited:
Hi, Remix--

Yes, I have seen the rattlesnake sign. It is by a huge rock. The water there is not inviting for a swim (too many weeds) but there is a fire ring and lots of trash. We did not stop to pick up the trash, mostly because it was a tough spot to land the canoes. There is a parking spot (illegal) on 9N pretty close to the location.

We've spent much time in the area and have only seen a rattlesnake once, on West Dollar Island.

Pat T

I have a picture of one I encountered between Fifth Peak and the next southerly peak. I also recall a report from here that one ended up sunning itself on the wood bridge at the marsh and created quite a human traffic jam. So they are up high and down low.

There are plenty of other kinds of snakes as well. Last autumn I encountered a totally light green snake near French Mountain.

A favorite weekend trip of mine, last done 2 years ago Memorial Day w/ my 2 sons. We paddled to the point from the marsh/stream and set up camp at Montcalm Point, an awesome place to camp. We swam (BRRR!!), explored the many islands in the narrows, and did a nice loop hike over Tongue Mountain and along the shoreline over the course of the weekend. Thanks for stirring up the memory. John