NYC March get-together / Banff

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
The March get-together for the NYC VFTTers will be Thursday March 4th, before and/or after the Banff film showing.

Banff will be on Wednesday and Thursday at the Symphony Space, 95th and Broadway. I know Warren and I (and maybe others) will be going both nights, but the "official" get-together night will be Thursday.

I'll check the area for where one can get a nice dinner (Banff starts at 7:30) and a place for drinks after. Check in here early next week.

Banff tickets are availablre at Paragon at 18th and Broadway, second floor where they have the Swiss Army knives. Cost is $17 (Ouch! I know it's cheaper just about anywhere else in the world. Hey, this is New York.)

Hope to see you all there. Feel free to chime in here if you know good places up on the west side to meet before and/or after.

Pb

Hi Papa Bear...glad to hear there are VFTT in NYC. Originally from Syracuse living now in Flemington NJ and looking to meet other climbers in the areea. I guess NYC qualifies. Am particularly interested in hooking up with some buds for finishing off my 46 hopefully by year end...

Would like to try and make the Bannf event. Do you have details on pre-gathering and the actual spot?

Mike Norton

Not yet. I used to live near Columbia, near there, but that was years ago. I may have to do some field checking.

In any case, before the event I will post something about meeting up.

Pb

NYC March get-together/Banff

I'm in for the movie and drinks afterward. I know Maryanne's is up there (91st and B'way)....

Carl Howard, #4258, winter 34er (hopefully 37er by then)

I'll be there on Thursday but can't go on Wed. as I'm doing sound that night for Joan Rivers. I'll have to find out from Papabear and Warren what the Wed. night films were like.

I've never been to Banff and am looking forward to it and the gathering afterwards. Hopefully a lot of VFTTer's will make it as it's always fun to get together with other hikers and discuss our past and future adventures.

Hi guys/gals,

I'm a beginner hiker compared to most of you guys ... having only gone hiking in the fall maybe 4 to 5 times a year in the catskills/adks and virginia... I'd like to meet up and go watch the films... I'd be interested to go for both days of the showing too.

Look forward to meeting up.

-Vivek

OK, I will pin my VFTT patch to my jacket and stand close to the front entrance to the left as you come out.

Several suggestions are to head down to 91st Street to Carmines. It's on Broadway, east side near 91. If you miss us at the theater entrance try down at Carmines.

If you have never met me, here's what I look like. (Free beer to whomever can guess what famous peak this shot is taken on. Fred not eligible).

See you Thursday after the show.
Pb

Anyone want to meet up *BEFORE* the movies start?

Hey there Papa Bear and the rest,

Would anyone be interested in meeting up before the movie? I might be there early due to a previous appointment ...

I'll be going for both days...

PS: Does anyone know when the movie about the blind guy who climbed Mt Everest is going to be released??

-Vivek

Warren said:
I'll meet up before.... but I don't know if I can get there before 6:30 Wednesday & 6:00 Thursday.

Also, I've kind of forgotten the area, don't know what's around there exactly.

How about 6:45 on wednesday(today) ... I'll be there in front of the main entrance to the place. I'm Indian (East Indian), 5' 10" with a blue Jansport daypack...
I've only lived in NYC for a month now .. so you'll have to do the navigation... see you there....

Banff first night report: great!

I liked the one about the climbing dog the best (a Jack Russell terrier who was incredible!), although the Xtreme kayaking down waterfalls were pretty impressive.

Tonight: meet before the show at 7:10 or afterwards outside the theater. I'll stand on the left of the entrance and Warren can stand on the right so make sure you find one or the other of us.

Drinks after: It was thought that athough Carmines is a great restaurant, it's not optimal as a bar/hangout. Last night we hit a bar a couple blocks down on the right (west side) of B'way which had a live jazz band and was great but the beers were expensive. So meet us at the theater and we'll just go with the flow tonight.

See you there
Pb

NYC BANF - and after

Hey, good time meeting you all last night. Help me with the names: Papabear, funkyfreddy, Warren, Kate?, Elvis, and ??? Vivek?

The movies were great too. We mentioned C. Houston's and the ice climbers, but on the subway home I remember being impressed by the two photographers moving around Siberia. That was an incredible tale, too.

See you all again,

Carl

Edge Dancing - A Journey across Siberia

What a tribute to the fallen photographer/adventurer. It could not have been improved upon.

Last night was fun.

It was fun! I was glad to see some new faces and hope to get together with some of you on the trail. It's always nice to meet new people who love to hike!

Next time we meet I hope we can go to a QUIET bar or restaurant where we don't have to SHOUT in order to hear ourselves.

By the way, have you checked out the "Devil's Path Catskills Day Hike" thread yet?

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the movies shown at the festival. My favourite probably being the ice climbing movie.

It was also great meeting all the NYC VFTTers ... Hopefully in the future we can all go on a hike together or go snowboarding/skiing.

Carl, my name IS Vivek ... my handle being vp3 ... that story about the "one-shoed" hiker was really interesting.

Anyway I hope to meet you guys/gals more often and go on more hikes this year...

Let me know if you ever need hiking/snowboarding partners ...

-Vivek

Suffern - Banff Film Festival

Went to the Banff Film Festival in Suffern last night. Met up with Jay Hui (leader of the Devils Path marathon). Had a great time. A couple of the films were a bit long, but all were beautiful. i enjoyed the waterfall kayaking film "Falling". I liked the historical "Exploring the heights", but it needed trimmed more. And who wouldn't want a climbing companion like "Biscuit" - that was cute.

Anyway, Jay & I were winners in the ticket raffle. jay won a book, a biography of Tenzing Norgay & I won a free rock climbing class in Fairfield, NJ.

Now it is on to my birthday trip to the Whites 3/22 - 3/26 - still openings! Kinsmans, Flume, Liberty & Cannon.

Yup, I won the book that is described in the little BMFF magazine handed out called:

"Tenzing: Hero of Everest" which is awesome, I look forward to reading it.

Loved the Lafayette theater in Suffern, much nicer than the FDU auditorium and also easier to get to for me.

Jay