Nylon vests

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John H Swanson

Reaction score
I find myself going out for walks with the kids for a few miles and it really doesn't justify carrying a backpack but I don't want to go empty-handed so I'm thinking about getting a nylon vest to carry a few things with me when I go Anyone have any recommendations on a nylon vest for hiking. Btw it would be great to have a pocket designed to fit a small water bottle.

Thanks

Not sure on a vest but Walmart has a fanny pack. Can find them in the camping section. Comes with two water bottles. Has a couple compartments. I can carry a rain/wind jacket in it with a light long sleeve shirt, some light snacks, keys, wallet. For $10 you can't go wrong. I've even started using it for quick jaunts up a couple smaller local mountains and for long walks in the woods.

John,

Most bigger bicycle shops or outdoor stores carry well designed shell (or wind) vests, a type I use for cycling, hiking and running. Neat thing is most have one or two big pockets on the back designed to carry water, snacks, etc. Could be just the ticket you are looking for.

Have you tried something like Cabela's or another hunting/fishing outfitter? A game or guide vest might fit the bill, and you may be able to find one in blaze orange if you need visibility as well.

John, a good place to start is the hunting and fishing dept at Dick's, Wallymart, Cabela. Vests with lots of pockets and because they not in the hiking dept, inexpensive. Often found with blaze orange on one side and camo on the other.

Not what you're asking for but I often use a small belt pouch... it's big enough for a small water bottle, GPS, and a few other small items. I don't like the bulk of even a light vest on a hot day. If I need more space I take the butt pack that I also use for hunting, and I also have a couple of ultralight daypacks.

FWIW, my usual short dayhike water bottle is a US pilot's water flask like this one. Small enough to fit in my back pocket or belt pouch or nearly any other pocket.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and comments. I guess I was looking for user experience on a specific item or approach. Your suggestions have opened up my thought process.

This is really only for short walks of 1-3 miles in 1-3 hours, but will grow in length with time. So it's not strenous hiking but rather strolling in the woods or through nature center trails. Till now I've either grabbed my daypack which feels like overkill or put a few things in my overloaded pockets.....

The fanny pack idea is a good one to consider but I thought wearing the load (taking liberties here) might be more friendly than carrying it.

One minor upgrade is that pockets with zippers or velcro flaps are important. Its easy to take the vest off and launch some piece of field equipment into the surrounding woods without knowing it. (Yah, been there and done that)

funny, I just wore a nylon vest this morning on my bike commute.. If you do chose a bike specific one, many of them will have reflective strips on them for visibility which I think would be good if you plan on running/walking along roads in the fall/spring when it gets dark early and bright late...

My cheapo nylon vest doesn't have the rear bike pockets but you could wear a bike jersey on the inside and cover it with the vest.

Jay

Okay, some personal experience:
A cloth vest will add warmth, which is a good thing except when it makes you perspire needlessly. I have two that I wear for hunting (one of them a Filson), and sometimes it's a boon and sometimes it's a bane. The nylon mesh ones are much cooler to wear (speaking thermally, that is ...)
If you buy one with blaze orange, it will be also handy for hiking during hunting seasons even if you're wearing a pack. A reversible one will protect your social standing at other times - blaze orange is not very LNT.

I do small hikes and hunt with a fanny pack.

More broadly, I keep a set of "10 essentials" in a small bag and I keep that bag in my car along with both a day pack and a fanny pack. It's trivial to just drop that "10 essentials" into whatever pack I'm using that day (fanny/day/full sized) and once I've done that, I'm ensured that I have the essentials covered. My life is too busy for me to ask, where is my compass? My compass and a spare knife and whatever else are always in the same place. In my "10 essentials" kit.

Bullets for the old Winchester get added, well, just about this time year actually!

A vest would interrupt this approach for me, especially on warm days.

But that's just me. I'm not you. If a vest makes more sense for your needs/style, go with a vest.

IMO, the contents of what is carried is infinitely more important that how it's carried. My thoughts on that here:

http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/DirtbagPinner/essentials-list.txt

I thought wearing the load (taking liberties here) might be more friendly than carrying it.

In my experience, this is definitely not the case. Putting just a few bulky or heavy items in a vest will quickly make it far more uncomfortable than a pack. My opinion is that vests are nice if you need to constantly get at things, or if you want to be bright orange. Otherwise, a smaller backpack is the way to go. I think I have something like this: http://deuter.com/en_US/backpack-details.php?category=484&artnr=33111&title=Speed%20lite%2015

In my experience, this is definitely not the case. Putting just a few bulky or heavy items in a vest will quickly make it far more uncomfortable than a pack. My opinion is that vests are nice if you need to constantly get at things, or if you want to be bright orange. Otherwise, a smaller backpack is the way to go. I think I have something like this: http://deuter.com/en_US/backpack-details.php?category=484&artnr=33111&title=Speed%20lite%2015

My current daypack is the Speedlite 20 - a slighly larger version of the one in your link which I have fitted up with the 10 essentials...and it is great for regular hikes of 10-14 miles but just seemed like overkill for what is literally a walk in the park within a short distance of housing developments. You answered one of questions - the one about confort. Thanks for your input.

If it was for regular hiking I would be concerned about heat, but I rarely break a sweat on these outing and from my expereince Supplex nylon is okay for warm weather and movement.

I was considering the Royal Robbins vest. Still on the fence about it.