Of Imp and broken windows

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meo

Reaction score
Be careful, a friend of mine went to the Imp trailhead Sunday morning and turned back when he saw 3 cars (3!) with smashed windows, including 2 Subarus. A cell phone was lying on the ground. Some of the cars were left untouched.

What a pity... They say "don't leave your valuables in the car", but what can we do when we spend a whole weekend with all our camping gear? Leave it at the campground? Not safe. In the trunk? But what if one's car is a station wagon?

Nothing to make us hike in peace... Now I'll always be anxious about what I'll find back at the trailhead :(

Last edited:
Early in the morning (00:15) on Sat Mar 19, I pulled into the parking area of the 19 mile brook trailhead. I noticed 2 other cars there. When I woke up, at around 6:00 or so, I noticed that one of the cars had its window smashed.... Now this is just up the road from the imp trailhead.

How comon is this?

maybe lay an ambush?

If it is a regular thing like it seems, maybe stake out the lot and catch them?
Do they like suburus? Out of state plates? Are they afraid of Pete's axe?

I had my vehicle broken into on the Kanc at the sawyer river trailhead several years ago. Not a good experience. They took my nephews cash and credit cards but left his wallet. He/she/they maxed out the stolen credit cards. The sheriff told me that they have had a rash of breakins on the Kanc at that time.

I should also mention that I didn't know that he left his wallet in my truck. :eek:

Keith

I don't to go off topic but I remember hiking around Garfield and 13 Falls and there were signs "AMC has no ethics", "Down with the AMC". Graffti was spray painted on USFS signs etc. The last time I was out there in July of '04 they were hunting down this man. I could classify this person as a vandal and violater of LNT. Does anyone know if this person was caught or still on the loose.

Back in February I was talking with Mr. Lowe @ Lowe's Store, and he told me they strongly suspected a gang of kids. They had caught a few of them, but they were trying to get the one they suspect of being the leader. He says it's a "money for drugs" sort of operation, but who knows.

Haven't been any break-ins in his lot yet. Might have something to do with the fact that he's a Sheriff. (or maybe it's those ferrets he uses as guards! :D )

Ridgewalker said:
I don't to go off topic but I remember hiking around Garfield and 13 Falls and there were signs "AMC has no ethics", "Down with the AMC". Graffti was spray painted on USFS signs etc. The last time I was out there in July of '04 they were hunting down this man. I could classify this person as a vandal and violater of LNT. Does anyone know if this person was caught or still on the loose.
I'm pretty sure they knew who it was from the begining, but didn't have any hard evidence. There was some mention of them finally catching him in the act a while back, but I don't have any details.

Break-ins appear to be a cyclical thing, with small groups of (usually) locals hitting a bunch of trailheads in short order. Police then increase patrols for a while, it seems they often catch them, then there's a lull until the next group decides that this is a way to get some easy cash. I doubt cameras at the trailheads would do much, but more frequent patrols seems to do the trick.

I've been parking up north for 20+ years without a break-in, knock on wood. But I know several friends who haven't been so lucky.

-dave-

Maine

There was a slew of break-ins at the Abol Bridge lot on the Golden Rd. a few weeks ago. Windows were smashed and tires were slashed. Someone posted in the TC about it and I spoke with another ME resident who got his car broken into during the same raid.

it seems to have been an isolated incident, but it concerns me greatly to see it happening even on the Golden Rd., away from the usual masses.

spencer

arghman said:
...so if I'm planning a trip to Madison Hut, which parking lot is less prone to break-ins? the Appalachia lot on Rt 2 or the parking lot on Dolly Copp Rd?
If you are truly worried, park at Lowe's Store. They charge $1/day but I've never heard of breakins there.

I've parked at Appalachia and Randolph East (on Dolly Copp) dozens of times and never had a problem. Although getting your car broken into is a royal pain, it is rare enough that I wouldn't let it change my parking plans. I think Appalachia is pretty safe, since it can be seen from the highway.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
Break-ins appear to be a cyclical thing, with small groups of (usually) locals hitting a bunch of trailheads in short order. Police then increase patrols for a while, it seems they often catch them, then there's a lull until the next group decides that this is a way to get some easy cash. I doubt cameras at the trailheads would do much, but more frequent patrols seems to do the trick.

I've been parking up north for 20+ years without a break-in, knock on wood. But I know several friends who haven't been so lucky.

-dave-

I would agree with David on the cyclical thing. I was broken into on the Kanc at the the Hancock Notch trailhead in 1978. Unfortunately it has been going on for a long time; but fotunately the repeated offenders have been always caught.

I've heard recommendations to leave nothing in the car and doors unlocked, and maybe the glove box open (watch out for the light draining your battery). I can't bring myself to do this, does anyone do this?

Tony

In the summer, once I put the soft top on the jeep i don't lock it since it wouldn't matter and i would rather them use the door than cut thru the top (they could use the zippers, but I wouldn't count on them being polite.)