Olympia NP & Mt Rainier

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamer

Reaction score
Hi. My husband and I are heading to Olympia National Park & possibly Mt Rainer with no hiking or lodging leads - and we are leaving in 4 days :eek: Any suggestions on where to hike or stay (looking for lodging, not camping)?

Dreamer

If you go to Mt. Rainer and are looking for lodging then this bunkhouse is a good bet, close to the trailhead and it looks like there is space available. I stayed there when I was at Rainer last summer.

http://www.whittakersbunkhouse.com/

I am have not been to Olympia and don't have any great recommendation for that one but am sure that others can point you in the right direction. Enjoy the trip.

for rainier - there ain't much in ashford - if you can't get a room at whitkkers (I would call tonight) your SOL. I know - I came down off the summit, pack up nmy crap at muir, hiked down hoping to get a room there, they were full and I had to drive to tacoma. trust me when I say that was a long day.......

there is plenty of stuff in tacoma - but its at least an hour drive from ashford - probably a bit more. and ashford is about 45 min from rainier park.

there is camping there and a hotel in the park - but mucho dinero$$$!!!

have fun - its an awesome place.

not sure about olympia.

Hi!

You may want to look at the info on the Washington Trails Association site, they have a searchable database of trails.

Please be aware that we had severe flooding in many areas in both the National Parks and the National Forests last November, and many trails are still in bad shape (in some cases, dangerously so). Check with local rangers before heading out on the trails.

I don't have much info on lodging (as I usually camp), but there is the Quinault Lodge on Lake Quinault, many places to stay in Port Angeles and Ocean Shores.

The WTA website is at:

http://www.wta.org

If you have specific questions, please feel free to email or PM me.

Nicole -

If you end up at Rainier and need a place to stay, check out the little town of Packwood - it's just a bit south. I've stayed there a few times, both by myself and with my wife. It's an unpretentious little place, but it's got decent small motels and a restaurant or two that won't break the bank. Real people in a real town surrounded by truly tall trees - nice place.

Can't help you with Olympia - it's on my 'gotta do soon' list.

Kevin

I just spent the last 4 weeks in WA and OR...

Kevin is right on about Packwood -- cool little unpretentious town. Ashford has Whittaker's Bunkhouse, of course, where you may even catch a glimpse of Jim & Lou, like my group did. :eek: I would not recommend the Gateway Inn at the entrace to Mt. Rainier National Park -- it's an overpriced dive, and the coffee is bad -- inexcusable in my book. :mad:

On the Olympic Penninsula, there are many, many options in Port Townsend, Port Angeles (PT and PA to the locals), and Sequim (pronouced "SKWIM"). PA probably has the widest range of lodging options, and you can easily access Hurricane Ridge Road from there.

Lake Crescent Lodge has great clam chowder and beer!

runsuerun.blogspot.com

Hi Nicole,
If you or John wanna give Rainier a shot while you're out there, here is a great last minute deal.

http://expo.live.com/ViewListing.aspx?lid=4753800

I don't know much about lodging near Rainier, but if you're in Yakima, BOB's Keg and Cork across from the train station has pretty good beers. But beware though.. the police HQ and a jail are right next door :eek:.