On Attempting Stewart

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adktyler

Reaction score
The original plan was to meet up with Pinpin and Oncoman to hike Stewart in the Sentinel Range last Friday. This is relatively early into my winter 100 highest hiking, so I was hoping to learn as much as possible from these hugely experienced hikers. With 3 ½ months of training, I was pretty confident in my ability to keep up with these two gentleman, even with their reputation. Yet, it was to be a trip where again I was humbled by my limitations. Just in case you think that I usually fail on hiking trips, I have made several other successful climbs this winter. But they’re relatively boring, so I don’t write TRs about them.

I began the day by getting my car stuck in the parking lot off of Route 86. Oncoman had to help dig me out, and essentially coach me though the driving process as I continued to do the same thing over and over again expecting different results each time (the definition of insanity, as my girlfriend says). After I finally dislodged my car from the deep snow, and we arrived at the rendezvous location down the street, we were informed by Pinpin that he couldn’t hike that day because of an injury. So Oncoman and I set out early that morning minus one strong hiker.

In spite of the deep snow, we made pretty good progress traipsing along the brook. We delineated off Oncoman’s course a few times, but he quickly adjusted to the errors and set us on the straight and narrow once again. In less than two hours we were half way to the summit, and Oncoman commented that I was a stronger hiker than him, and in great shape. This proved to be a premature comment in light of the impending scenario.
Once we hit the actual climb towards the summit ridge, the real work began. At points the snow was up to my chest, and the angle of incline was so steep that I felt as though I was climbing up a waterfall of snow. Our pace slowed considerably, and with every quarter of an hour it seemed the woods became more thick and unforgiving. Lacking a firm snow base, we constantly plunged though the snow up to our knees, thighs, and waists. I bet there was more than three feet of fresh, heavy, snowman-making snow up there.

As we neared the false summit, my body was slowly shutting itself down. My legs cramped up, in spite of being quite hydrated. Our rate of movement had also slowed to below a quarter of a mile, a pace that would barley give a snail a run for its money. On a quick rest break, Oncoman took a few calculations, and figured it would take us about four hours to traverse the final half mile to the summit. Soon there after, I came to grips with my inability to continue. And so it was that a little after 2:30pm I uttered the words, “Pierre, I think I may need to head back.” It had taken over seven hours to hike two miles, and I didn’t think I could physically handle an additional four hours, plus the return trip to the cars.

I struggled with why I wanted to turn back. I was ruining a kind stranger’s hiking goals, and I better have a damn good reason for doing so. Was it that I was a big wimp, and didn’t like to be a little cold and have a few leg cramps? Did I just loose interest in bush whacking though rather thick spruce and deep snow? Was it that I felt defeated by this older gentleman’s impressive endurance? Was I just being a wimp? Or was it that I didn’t think I could handle the physical struggle for another four hours? That I knew deep inside of me that I was pushing myself too far? That my body was telling me with its innate sense of judgment that pressing on would be unsafe for me? I honestly couldn’t answer the question, and in the midst of being indecisive, Oncoman made the decision for me: we turn back. He reminded me of the quote in his signature line, “getting to the top is optional, getting back down is mandatory.” I will never forget that quote because of this experience. His wisdom and selflessness was an inspiration to me, and I hope it will be for others as well.

I still felt bad as we trudged along back to the car. He was an extremely experienced hiker, who was kind enough to let a twenty-one year old random stranger come along on his hike, and that kid let him down. He was very understanding and gracious about the whole matter, which almost made me feel worse. When we arrived back at the car, goodbyes were said, and he told me he was going to try again tomorrow, since the trail was already broken out. I haven’t heard back from him yet, but I hope he succeeded in his endeavor!

Situations like this always make me more determined for the next time. Determined to plan ahead better, think more, remain calmer, become more humble, train harder, make better decisions, and be more mature. I will be back for Stewart and hopefully as wiser and more able ADK hiker. Maybe Oncoman will even let me join him on a hike again someday! In the world of Adirondack bushwhacking, anything is possible.

Here is a short video of the climb, hours before we even neared the summit of the false peak: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdLXbodW6XA

Last edited:
Nice one Tyler! I think the wascally wabbit knew what you guys had in store... :)
No one could have got to the top in that thick heavy snow. Nice try though!
Thanks for sharing!

I'm sure Pierre would love to have you back on a hike.

Was I just being a wimp? Or was it that I didn’t think I could handle the physical struggle for another four hours? That I knew deep inside of me that I was pushing myself too far? That my body was telling me with its innate sense of judgment that pressing on would be unsafe for me? I honestly couldn’t answer the question, and in the midst of being indecisive, Oncoman made the decision for me: we turn back. He reminded me of the quote in his signature line, “getting to the top is optional, getting back down is mandatory.”
Your trip reports are always a terrific read, and your add-on videos are priceless. And speaking of videos . . . WOW . . . the clip attached to your report really shows the conditions you experienced out there!

It's pretty easy to be daring & bold from a safe distance, but when you're actually "out there", then it's an entirely different situation! There's a lot of wisdom in Oncoman's signature line: "getting to the top is optional, getting back down is mandatory."

Thanks for posting!

Turning back

I have turned back on Stewart twice in conditions a lot less challenging than those you described. It is a wise saying, getting to the top is optional getting back down is mandatory. If things take the joy out of reaching the goal than is the goal worth it. Enjoyed your trip report. By the way, did you approach the mountain from Winch pond and Marsh pond or did you guys approach from another direction? Stewart is still on my winter list.

Nice one Tyler! I think the wascally wabbit knew what you guys had in store... :)
No one could have got to the top in that thick heavy snow. Nice try though!
Thanks for sharing!

I'm sure Pierre would love to have you back on a hike.

Haha, he did apologize for his lack of attendance. "Sorry for you to have loss a hiking partner!" :) Speedy recovery, Alain!

Your trip reports are always a terrific read, and your add-on videos are priceless. And speaking of videos . . . WOW . . . the clip attached to your report really shows the conditions you experienced out there!

It's pretty easy to be daring & bold from a safe distance, but when you're actually "out there", then it's an entirely different situation! There's a lot of wisdom in Oncoman's signature line: "getting to the top is optional, getting back down is mandatory."

Thanks for posting!

Thanks for yet another encouraging response! The point about actually being out there is SO true. It's amazing how motivated I can be from my computer reading trip reports! Thanks for your comments!

I doubt Pierre would have gotten as far as he had, without you helping him!

He did mention that. But he also would have gotten further had he had the help of a rabbit! lol

I have turned back on Stewart twice in conditions a lot less challenging than those you described. It is a wise saying, getting to the top is optional getting back down is mandatory. If things take the joy out of reaching the goal than is the goal worth it. Enjoyed your trip report. By the way, did you approach the mountain from Winch pond and Marsh pond or did you guys approach from another direction? Stewart is still on my winter list.

I was actually thinking of you while hiking, since I was pretty sure you had to turn back a couple of times from Stewart. You'll get it, I'm sure!!

We approached from the unnamed brook north of Wench Pond (across the street from the Whiteface entrance). The going is quite open, more so than around the ponds I was told! Maybe you could give it a shot from that direction?

Follow-up

Tyler thanks for the reply. I would guess the route you took is similar to the one described in the Other 54. Where did you park? Can you park at Whiteface without paying a fee?

Tyler thanks for the reply. I would guess the route you took is similar to the one described in the Other 54. Where did you park? Can you park at Whiteface without paying a fee?

I'll send you a PM about the route, but it was similar to the green route in the book.

We parked in the second lot on the right. If there was a fee, we weren't aware of it. Several Whiteface employees walked by and didn't mention anything, so I assume it's safe to park there.

Hope that helps!

Gentlemen, I feel your pain, the snow conditions were terrible that week-end :eek: We were 25 miles away in similar conditions although we were luckier I guess. Only a bit more than 5h to cover 2¾ miles and 1000' of elevation gain in open woods (thank god) :eek:

If you had gone my secret route to Stewart you would have made it!;)

This is the first winter in a very long time that "real" bushwhacking conditions are as tedious as horrendous!

Kudos for trying!

You needn't lament about the lack of acheiving the day's goal. You got out there in less than ideal conditions and gave it a hell of an effort.

By contrast me and my croo we wussed out and hiked a ski slope. :rolleyes:

You done good Pilgrim!

Gentlemen, I feel your pain, the snow conditions were terrible that week-end :eek: We were 25 miles away in similar conditions although we were luckier I guess. Only a bit more than 5h to cover 2¾ miles and 1000' of elevation gain in open woods (thank god) :eek:

Well I'm glad you had a good hike! Maybe we should have hiked 25 miles away from the summit of Stewart! haha. Way to tag a peak in those conditions.

If you had gone my secret route to Stewart you would have made it!;)

This is the first winter in a very long time that "real" bushwhacking conditions are as tedious as horrendous!

Ooo, your secret way? Does this deserve a private message on here? :)

You needn't lament about the lack of acheiving the day's goal. You got out there in less than ideal conditions and gave it a hell of an effort.

By contrast me and my croo we wussed out and hiked a ski slope. :rolleyes:

You done good Pilgrim!

Thanks! I'm usually not too disappointed about not reaching a summit. I'm more dissapointed at letting somebody else down who I know could reach the summit otherwise.

Haha, it's never a wuss out when you have a fun day of hiking, lol! Thanks for your comments :)

Last edited: