Opinions on Hiking Acadia

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisher Cat

Reaction score
We are goin to Acadia after Labor Day. Last time I was there I was 7 or 8 years old. Please speak up and tell me the non-technical hikes you did that put body to the test in strength & endurance. We want a challenge. (not plan on doing Precipice Trail) Thanking you in advance!

Hi Fisher Cat: we went a couple falls ago around same time, great weather and viewing conditions. We did a loop involving Cadillac (west face trail) then over to Dorr Mt. Took Dorr South Ridge trail to Canon Brook Trail, then to Jordan Ponds Trail, then to Pemetic Mt. via East Cliff Trail and South Ridge trail, then back out to vehicle by the Pemetic North Ridge Trail...over 8 miles and a good workout...also did Beech Mt. (fire tower) which was shorter but we made it longer by taking trails to make it a loop...we did do Champlain via the Precipice (which will not do again!!!) and came out via Orange and Black Trail...last one was St. Sauver Mt. which we had to cut short for travel day, but a nice loop would include Acadia Mt. with it....so hopefully we will go back someday soon!! enjoy!!

I hike Acadia half dozen times a year. My favorite hike is the Sargent Penobscot traverse. You can easily make a 5 mile loop of this. Adding only another mile or so you can add Gilmore, Parkman, and Bald...all open summits in a nice 6 mile loop, nothing too technical. Second to Sargent Penobscot is Pemetic' s long ridge. I have a recent trip reports in the past 2 weeks of Sargent Penobscot and Pemetic. I have the other peaks on a trip report in April. Cadillac and Dorr can be combined for a nice loop with good views as well. For solitude try Mansell, Bernard, and Beech on the other side of Some's sound.
My blog has several trip reports and lots of pics of recent Acadia trips http://tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com/2013/07/hiking-acadias-open-ridges.html and http://tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com/2013/04/beautiful-spring-hike-in-acadia.html
hope this helps

I agree 100% with Tomcat. Those open summits on Sergent, Penobscot, and Pemetic are favorites of mine, and are truly unique, gorgeous areas. Went up Penobscot at sunrise once off season and saw deer bounding around up there! Truly a special moment. The crowds, in my experience, aren't bad here either. Cadillac summit is always a zoo.

sgnt,penob, pemetic are great. another great loop with awesome views, with a little tech, park @ sand beach up beehive over to gorham mt, then walk the pathway next to park loop rd. back to car.

Thank you all, I love getting all these suggestions. I have my maps out now and am looking them over based on what you have mentioned. What a great resource to tap into!

One afternoon in October 1997, after driving down from Millinocket in the morning, we did the five Tomcat mentioned, plus Cedar Swamp at the end, which had a porcupine on top. We finished the hike at dusk.

I’ve mentioned this before, but one of my favorite loops is North Bubble to Conners Nubble, then back to the carriage road and around to Jordan Pond Trail, then up the back side of South Bubble.

A memorable one we did when my son was little was when we parked at the Cadillac Mountain North Ridge Trail head on the Park Loop Road, then walked along the road to the Dorr Mountain North Ridge Trail. We climbed Dorr, crossed the gorge to Cadillac, then returned to the gorge and followed the Gorge Path back to the road. (The Gorge Path is what the trail through Avalanche Pass reminded me of when I first climbed Mount Colden in 1998, before the big slide came down during Floyd and opened things up.) We actually lost the trail at the end and just bushwhacked straight ahead until Susan spotted the road off to our left. We came out on the road just barely within sight of her car parked way back to the left. Luckily for us, it was a white car, so it was still visible in the gloaming. This was in late October 1996.

The Beehive is similar to the Precipice Trail, but I thought it was scarier, if you want a challenge. When Susan and I climbed it, we descended by the back trail and went over to Gorham Mountain, too.

There was an old ‘‘Windows to the Wild’’ episode repeated not too long ago about an island just offshore of Bar Harbor that can be reached by foot at low tide. Supposedly the park service doesn’t really advertise the trail, because people can get trapped on the island when the tide comes back in. I think you only have at most three hours for the trip.

There was an old ‘‘Windows to the Wild’’ episode repeated not too long ago about an island just offshore of Bar Harbor that can be reached by foot at low tide. Supposedly the park service doesn’t really advertise the trail, because people can get trapped on the island when the tide comes back in. I think you only have at most three hours for the trip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_Island

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...views-Bar_Island_Trails-Bar_Harbor_Maine.html

I was surprised at much we enjoyed exploring the island.

One of my new favorites is over on the quiet side of the island - the Perpendicular and Razorback Loop. The Perpendicular Trail is one of the most beautiful staircases you've ever seen. Seriously. One of my group counted and there are just a few more than 1,000 steps up. Then the Razorback Trail brings you down over more traditional Acadian footpaths. It's about a 2 1/2 mile loop, but you could extend it by going down a different trail. The trailhead is by Long Pond, over near Southwest Harbor.

One of the best things about Acadia (and the entire Mt Desert Island area) is the free shuttle bus service (with bike racks)

In the summer the buses run very regularly and cover the entire Bar Harbor/Acadia area. So you can take the park loop road bus and get off at any trailhead you like and just start hiking until you get tired and just head down to the road again and after a short wait you're back on the bus.

Most of the peaks are relatively short with many intersecting trails allowing you to make up a route as you go pretty easily.

FYI although Blackwoods CG can be pretty busy (booked solid at times) there is a CG in SW Harbor that is serviced by the bus route as well.

I am fortunate to live at Acadia's backdoor and I would definitely try to hike the classics - Sargent, Penobscot, Dorr. Cadillac is great, but feels like Mt Washington at the summit. If you do hike Cadillac, Sunday mornings seem to be a more quiet time at the summit.

I also like rambles around Pemetic and the Triad as well as some trails outside of the park such as the trails near the Thuya Gardens and Elliot Mt. There is a pretty cool Map House along the Elloit Mt trail. There are also a bunch of trails in Northeast Harbor that lie outside of the park that the village improvement society maintains.... and then there are the doughnuts at The Colonial's in Northeast.

Hope you have a great stay!

Thanks again everyone. We are back from visit to our first grandson born 7/29. Back to the Acadia maps now!]

We took the shuttle bus from Blackwoods Campground and climbed Dorr Mt and then Cadillac and hiked across Cadillac and down the other side and back to the campground. It's a little weird on Cadillac with the tour buses, etc, but no one really moves too far from the parking area. We were there last September and had no problem camping without reservations. That was the only hike we did..........took the bikes on the carriage roads which was a lot of fun too.

IF you do St Sauveur, or the SS/Acadia loop, from the marked parking location on the right hand shoulder of Rt 102, I'll let you in on a treat for the end of the hike. Once back to your car, stow your gear and grab a towel, maybe your picnic lunch. Head down towards the Echo Lake shore from the parking area ( there is a path downhill next to the information kiosk ) until you get near the lake's edge , and turn right, go along the lakeshore for a bit and you'll come to an area on that side of the lake with magnificently smoothed granite ledges that incline ever so gently into the lake water. IT is perfect lounging, sunning, picnicking, the water there is gently warmed by the ledges even in September, ( far warmer than Echo Lake Beach) you are far enough below the Rt 102 roadway to hear no traffic, and you look across Echo Lake to the Beech Hill Cliffs. It is truly a special, and usually pretty private spot, one I may be soundly castigated for giving up in this forum.

Naturist advisory applies, ( others may be there before you, respect their space ) and the ledges are really deceptive areas for small children or non-swimmers as water levels can vary quickly and without warning.

Breeze

Last edited: