Other ways to give back

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
giggy said:
whenever I get a call to donate over the phone, I ask if they can send me something in the mail or direct me to a website - not once has something came.

I now tend to donate actual "things" (clothes, toys, etc..) rather than money - so it doesn't end up lining some directors' pocket or getting them boozed up smoozing.

First of all, it's your money, and you can do whatever you want with it. Or not. So if you don't want to donate, that is absolutely your business.

But please keep in mind that not all charities are run by moochers and scam artists. Most of the people I know who work in the non-profit world - including directors - work their asses off, and do so for a heck of a lot less than their corporate counterparts. The fact that some abuse expense accounts doesn't make them all crooks, anymore than the fact that some people leave trash on the trail makes all hikers serial polluters.

The problem with asking a telemarketer to send you info about an organization is that most of them work for a telemarketing agency and not directly for the charity. That means they have very little incentive to send you something in the mail even if they have the ability.

Donating "stuff" can help (although it can hurt, too - some organizations wind up spending a ridiculous amount of money fixing or disposing of things that get dumped on them), as does volunteering, but most charities really need money, as well.

If you are at all inclined to give it, of course you want to know it's being put to good use. But it's usually not that hard to find a website and/or ask them for an annual report. Or look up their 990's on Guidestar.org (you can find out what their top executives get paid, and often how much of their expenses got to programs/services).

/rant

(sorry, occupational hazard ;) )

I like to think that I donate as I can both in time and dollars, and, as was previously mentioned, you do what is right for you. I can tell you that payback from giving in a positive way is very rewarding and often very humbling.

Last year I found myself President of three not-for-profit organizations!! My longest current term is for a $12M organization that runs clinics for persons with mental illness and/or alcohol/chemical dependency. In another organization I chair an annual golf outing to support the county SPCA and yet another Center for the Arts. Finally, every late summer (as we are packing for the winter) I organize a "boat drive" around our lake that serves to fill the shelves of the local food pantry in an economically challenged county in the southern tier of NY. (We are the largest annual donation for this pantry!) Last month I did a work day on the Finger Lakes Trail rehabbing a new cabin... there is so much to do in so many ways!!

Hats off to all who get involved. What I'm really proud of is that my 17-year old daughter succeeded in finishing up her 50+ hour community project, and last month received her Girl Scout Gold Award, the organization's top achievement. :D