Owel's Head

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UNFROZENCAVEMAN

Reaction score
So...been working on a little project and am heading out to grab Owel's Head either Tuesday or Wednesday - I am flexible as I'll be hiking both days just trying to fill in the blanks.

Tuesday - slight chance of snow, around 20F
Wednesday - slight chance of snow, around 13F

I'd be planning on a start time of 6:00 a.m. from Lincoln Woods, figure it should take around 12-14 hours at the most.

PM me with a phone # so we can discuss tonight - I'm heading out to grab Carrigan and will be back online around 7:00 if all goes well.

Steve

How long did it take and how were conditions?

We started at 7:45 AM, went up the Bridle Path to Lafayette, then over to Lincoln. Dropped down the Lincoln slide, and wacked over to the Owl's Head slide. We exited out to Lincoln Woods (via Black Pond) at 9:40 PM.

To give you an idea of conditions, it took three of us about two hours to get from the base of the slide to the top of Owl's Head...lots of unconsolidated powder. The approach to the slide from Lincoln Woods seems to be pretty well broken out, though.

By the way , if anyone finds an Atlas 12 on the lower portion next to the slide that would be mine.

We started at 7:45 AM, went up the Bridle Path to Lafayette, then over to Lincoln. Dropped down the Lincoln slide, and wacked over to the Owl's Head slide. We exited out to Lincoln Woods (via Black Pond) at 9:40 PM.

Fantastic completing the 48 in 33 days(?), UFCM! Frodo, Stinkyfeet, and I considered the Lincoln slide in our 2003/2004 efforts, but we decided against, as it looked really icy and spooky (I was solo on my FR traverse in a whiteout, similar to the conditions they had a few days earlier). Were you able to use snowshoes on both slides, or were crampons and ice ax needed? Anyway, congrats!

Frodo, Stinkyfeet, and I considered the Lincoln slide in our 2003/2004 efforts, but we decided against, as it looked really icy and spooky

I remember that we opted not to descend Lincoln Slide mostly because we ran out of time; i.e. we didn't know whether any of Owls Head route--the slide, Black Pond BW, etc.--was broken out and didn't want to be floundering around route finding in the dark. We did have a car spotted at Lincoln Woods, thus the lift from from OBP to LW by trail angel "Sideshow Bob." :D Should've gotten an earlier start that day... See:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&t=1386

Congratulations UFC! Gonna go for Round #2? #3?

(BTW, I clicked on this thread only because you spelled it wrong. Heehee!)

Sue

Last edited: