Owl’s Head and the demonic slide.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
With Kevin canceling due to a death in the family, I pretty much thought I would be going solo, except of course for the throngs of individuals who I believed would be doing Owl’s Head with the high winds being predicted for Saturday. As I got off the Lincoln exit I had a momentary thought of stopping at Mickey D’s for an egg McGrease sandwich, but decided to pass given the length of the hike and the havoc that grease can play on my intestinal fortitude, or lack there of, so I continued on to Lincoln Woods. When I pulled into the parking lot I half expected to see a few tour buses from the Northern provinces, yet there were only a few cars present. As I exited the truck I was immediately greeted by a black lab named Cinder and her owner a lovely woman named Nancy. She and her husband Joe, Oldmanwinter of VFTT fame, were doing Owl’s Head, so I asked if I could throw in with them.

Given the hardness of the Lincoln Woods Trail, we all decided to wear microspikes instead of snowshoes. Both Nancy and Joe had sleds so they loaded their packs onto the sleds and off we went. We made it to the Black Pond trail in less than a hour and after hiking in for about 10 minutes Nancy and Joe stashed their sleds and donned their packs for the bushwhack. I have never been to Black Pond before let alone do the bushwhack, so Joe became the navigator since he had all the GPS coordinates already loaded. I remember reading a trail condition report recently that said the bushwhack was broken out by a bunch of drunken sailors given the circuitous nature of the bushwhack, and they were not lying. There were times you could see the broken trail off to your left, yet the trail continued to the right. If you tried to cut the corner, you immediately sank up to your knees. I suppose we could have put on our snowshoes, however breaking trails wasn’t our idea of fun especially given we had a long hike ahead of us, so we followed the drunken sailor route.

Once we reached the Lincoln Brook Trail we decided to put on our snowshoes to maintain the integrity of the trail because there were a few inches of new powder that must have fallen in the last couple of days. As we continued along, we each kept an eye out to see if the Brutus bushwhack was broken out so we could avoid climbing the slide if at all possible. No such luck, we saw nothing. We finally arrived at the trail where someone had carved a huge arrow into a tree marking the entrance. Talk about overkill. I suppose it was in retaliation for all the cairns that were dismantled by the rangers, so I half expected to see this tree removed come spring.

I hadn’t climbed the slide since 2003, so my memory of what lay ahead was sketchy at best so we all just plodded along. About 10 minutes into the climb something happened that could have ended the hike and made for a very long evening. Nancy’ right foot became lodged between a bolder and a downed branch. To make matters worse, she lost her balance and fell backwards pinning her leg. As Joe and I tried desperately to free her my mind was racing through a check list of things we would have to do if her leg was broken. Because I was going solo, I took my overnight pack and I was loaded for bear. I had a sleeping bag, fleece liner, bivy sack, stove, 50 feet of accessory cord, and a complete change of clothing. The only thing I left home was the portable defibrillator. If I have to scream, CLEAR, in the backcountry, I’m sorry but you are on your own. After what seemed like an eternity, we were able to free Nancy’s leg with no ill effects. Just then Rocket21, Hikermaniac, and his wife Cathy came up from behind. After a brief chat, they passed us like a blur, which prompted me to mutter, just wait until you are in your mid-fifties little missy (Rocket), you will not be running up anymore slides.

To say the slide was a pain in the butt, is an insult to butts. This slide was demonic. The snow was Champaign so it didn’t pack at all. Couple that with the weight I was carrying and I would go up 5 feet and slide back 3 feet. This little scenario was repeated throughout the entire slide. Needless to say a few choice words were uttered during the climb. After what seemed like two lifetimes, I finally reach the top totally exhausted. Let the whining begin! I finally stumbled toward the first summit like the aforementioned sailors, and then continued on to the second summit where pictures were taken and hugs were exchanged. As in most long hikes, the revelry of reaching the summit is short lived once the realization kicks in that you are only halfway done. You still have to get off the bloody mountain in one piece.

I was not looking forward to descending the slide even with crampons on so when Rocket21 made the suggestion that we bushwhack down instead of taking the slide everyone was in agreement. I was totally exhausted at this point so my descent consisted of step, step, trip, fall, slide, and repeat all the way to the bottom. By the time we reach the river crossing and found the Lincoln Brook Trail I was totally soaked, so after saying our goodbyes to Rocket 21 et al Joe and I changed out of our wet clothing for the long walk out.

Most long and monotonous hikes involve longing for some indulgence that is waiting for you at the end of the journey. In my case, it was a large root beer from Mickey D’s that sustained me during the hike out. We had donned our headlamps when we changed so at this point darkness had fallen and we were using our headlamps to see. The hike out was uneventful so by 7:00pm we found ourselves on the Lincoln Woods Trail heading towards our trucks and salvation. Halfway down the trail the unmistakable vibration of my cell phone brought me out of my root beer fantasy and I heard Susan ask if I was ok. As much as I would have liked to have answered with the resolve of a seasoned warrior, the best I could muster was blowing spit bubbles into the cell and muttering, “wine, is there wine, there must be wine,” as I stumbled down the trail with the legs of a toddler seeking out his mommy. After I was assured there would be wine in my sippy cup upon my arrival, I continued my journey with a renewed sense of purpose.

Not long there after we all arrived at the trailhead where hugs were once again exchanged and I headed to Mickey D’s to satisfy my root beer fetish. I truly enjoyed hiking with Nancy, Joe, and Cinder and I hope to again in the not too distant future.

Last edited:
Congratulations! That's a good hike.

I believe the arrows are remains from the FS Ranger scraping painted arrows from the trees, just like the residue that can be found above the slide where trees along the Owl's Head Path once had a blaze.

Did you notice the Brutus Bushwhack on the way through? It would have been a short distance after the final crossing of the Lincoln Brook.

Earl

Just then Rocket21, Hikermaniac, and his girlfriend (sorry, I forget your name) came up from behind. After a brief chat, they passed us like a blur, which prompted me to mutter, just wait until you are in your mid-fifties little missy, you will not be running up anymore slides.

I truly hope that I am capable of trucking a 50 lb pack on a 15+ mile winter hike when I've reached my mid-fifties. Well met and well done! (My wife is currently restricted to reading Views over my shoulder (as I don't share our computer well), and does not yet have a user name on here.)

Last edited:
I (My wife is currently restricted to reading Views over my shoulder (as I don't share our computer well), and does not yet have a user name on here.)
I changed the TR to reflect wife. btw, the little Missy comment was for Rocket, not your wife.;)

Did you notice the Brutus Bushwhack on the way through? It would have been a short distance after the final crossing of the Lincoln Brook.
Earl

On the way in we (Rocket21, my wife, and I) did not see any signs of the Brutus Bushwack, but "our" version of it should be readily noticeable shortly after the 3rd water crossing.

"(My wife is currently restricted to reading Views over my shoulder (as I don't share our computer well), and does not yet have a user name on here.)"

PM me and we can alleviate that.

alan

As much as I would have liked to have answered with the resolve of a seasoned warrior, the best I could muster was blowing spit bubbles into the cell and muttering, “wine, is there wine, there must be wine,” as I stumbled down the trail with the legs of a toddler seeking out his mommy. After I was assured there would be wine in my sippy cup upon my arrival, I continued my journey with a renewed sense of purpose.

I love it!!

Nice trip report! After getting my butt kicked on an unsuccessful attempt at Isolation the day before, I was quite glad to see your vehicle, as well as B the Hiker's group, at Lincoln Woods when we arrived. Once I saw there would be three teams out there, I knew all of our chances of making it would be good.

Nice trip report! After getting my butt kicked on an unsuccessful attempt at Isolation the day before, I was quite glad to see your vehicle, as well as B the Hiker's group, at Lincoln Woods when we arrived. Once I saw there would be three teams out there, I knew all of our chances of making it would be good.

Thanks again for leading the bushwhack down. That, in no small measure, ensured a safe hike out.

In our minigroup, we were all keeping an eye out for any sign of old footbed to our right after the third/final water crossing. That was my group's original ascent plan, regardless of it being broken out. Since MadRiver's group had absolutely smoked us in getting out that far, we decided to follow their tracks and see how things were going on the Owl's Head Path proper. Since no one had been up there since the last storm, we were able to do a light bushwack up the woods and then north side of the slide, avoiding all significant blue ice and exposure.

On the way down, the bushwhack we did came fairly close to following OldManWinter's GPS track of one of the many versions of the Brutus Bushwhack. Our track starts (descending that is) in an odd place (about 50 vertical feet above the top of the gully above the slide...I was trying to find a good line), reaches OldManWinter's GPS track, then deviates from it a bit toward the bottom, ending a few hundred feet up the trail from the water crossing. Not ideal, but a much better option than trying to deal with the slide at this point.

Thanks again for leading the bushwhack down. That, in no small measure, ensured a safe hike out.

I'm glad you guys were there to join us (especially OldManWinter with his GPS to validate the route)! While I imagine we could have all made it back down the slide and slide bushwhack we did, I didn't like the slight possibility of someone losing control while sliding. The birch glades we hit ended up making it a very scenic bushwhack!

I hadn’t climbed the slide since 2003, so my memory of what lay ahead was sketchy at best so we all just plodded along. About 10 minutes into the climb something happened that could have ended the hike and made for a very long evening. Nancy’ right foot became lodged between a bolder and a downed branch. To make matters worse, she lost her balance and fell backwards pinning her leg. As Joe and I tried desperately to free her my mind was racing through a check list of things we would have to do if her leg was broken. Because I was going solo, I took my overnight pack and I was loaded for bear. I had a sleeping bag, fleece liner, bivy sack, stove, 50 feet of accessory cord, and a complete change of clothing. The only thing I left home was the portable defibrillator. If I have to scream, CLEAR, in the backcountry, I’m sorry but you are on your own. After what seemed like an eternity, we were able to free Nancy’s leg with no ill effects.

I want to thank MadRiver for his quick action here. This was a real bad situation, that could have been much worse. Rick, who was behind Nancy, immediately jumped up and lifted Nancy from behind to try and remove some of her and her pack's weight from the trapped leg. The leg was at a bad angle. We both tried to lift Nancy to an upright position but was unable, I then dug into the snow to remove the stuck snowshoe but although I could loosen the front part of the binding I couldn't get to the strap around the back. I eventually dug more snow away (Rick holding up Nancy the whole time) ans was able to dislodge the shoe from under the rock. Nancy and I have discussed this and came to the conclusion that she most likely would not have been able to extricate herself if she was alone. If it was just the two of us it would have been sketchy

We do forget sometimes just how dangerous winter hiking can be at times. The scenario that was going through my mind if her leg was indeed broken was after getting Nancy off the slide and splinting her leg I would put her in my bag and bivy sack to keep her warm before I hiked back to Black Pond to retrieve the sleds. We would then load the packs into one sled and Nancy into the other and start the long journey out. Once I got cell service we could call for an ambulance and notify F&G of our situation. Having Rocket and his group plus the three other guys we encountered would have made the journey out a lot easier. With the accessory cord that I was carrying we could have rigged up a harness so we could all pull at the same time. I’m just thankful Nancy was ok and we didn’t have to test this theory.

Glad to hear you all had a successful day with safe outcome. MadRiver also came to a much-less dire but still grateful rescue with a friend with MAJOR blisters. He quickly pulled out the necessary equipment and managed to cut/wrap to properly protect her and make her comfortable for the descent from Liberty.

Maybe we should all start carrying rootbeer in our packs for good Karma...

G

That's one interesting TR! ,But what date was that hike?

That's one interesting TR! ,But what date was that hike? I was in Whites hiking Saturday and Sunday of Presi Day weekend. Saturday was blustery and downright windy at elevation. Where you hiking Saturday or Sunday? By Sunday the wind had died down a lot and was much nicer day to be out. I don't know why, but snow seemed to have consolidated alot more on Sunday. Also I was out on snowshoes on Sunday and I hardly sank in at all and snow was nice styrofaom at higher elevations. Much more so than Saturday.

I'm wondering when the "demon" of the slide will finally relinquish my snowshoe lost descending in the dark back in early Jan.There's been alot of traffic up there since then and no word on it,not surprising since UFC was on my heels at the time and he never saw a trace of it.I'm thinking early June.

Great TR...

I have to admit, too...that the reward at the end is one of the things that keep me going...often including some sort of spirits:cool:

I'll try and remember to NOT let my mom read these reports either...leg caught...almost broken...geesh. She'd freak! I hope she doesn't hear the news about the lost Canadians...she'll never let us hike again (i.e. no more babysitting so we can go)