Paddles.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewHampshire

Reaction score
Goffstown NH, Avatar:Sending out praise for the Re
I am finally getting a kayak for both fishing and general recreational paddling. I have the kayak picked out (Wildernes Systems Pungo 120) but what I don't have picked out yet is the paddle. So I am looking around at the options I have. Since I want to save a little money in the long run by getting a pretty good paddle now (instead of upgrading a couple times through th course of it all) I am looking at some of the more higher end paddles out there. But I figure I would solicit opinions now and see what everyone here thinks. The ones I am looking at right now are:

Aqua-Bound Sting Ray

Aqua-Bound Swell

Bending Branches Breeze

Bending Branches Sun Shadow

Any others to consider? This is strcitly for flat water/slow moving current. No whitewater, no ocean, and no fast moving current.

Also, how does one determine what length paddle to get/use? I am sure I could Google this, but I might as well kill two birds with one stone here. :D

Thanks!

Brian

I am finally getting a kayak for both fishing and general recreational paddling. I have the kayak picked out (Wildernes Systems Pungo 120) but what I don't have picked out yet is the paddle. So I am looking around at the options I have. Since I want to save a little money in the long run by getting a pretty good paddle now (instead of upgrading a couple times through th course of it all) I am looking at some of the more higher end paddles out there. But I figure I would solicit opinions now and see what everyone here thinks. The ones I am looking at right now are:

Aqua-Bound Sting Ray

Aqua-Bound Swell

Bending Branches Breeze

Bending Branches Sun Shadow

Any others to consider? This is strcitly for flat water/slow moving current. No whitewater, no ocean, and no fast moving current.

Also, how does one determine what length paddle to get/use? I am sure I could Google this, but I might as well kill two birds with one stone here. :D

Thanks!

Brian

I've sold far too many Pungo 120s to escape my doom come Judgment Day. ;) And most of the time, I recommended the Sting Ray Carbon in 230 cm as a good optimization of features and cost for such a boat. The others are outrageously expensive choices for that boat, IMO.

Aqua Bound has a decent selection and fit guide.

Last edited:
I've sold far too many Pungo 120s to escape my doom come Judgment Day. ;) And most of the time, I recommended the Sting Ray Carbon in 230 cm as a good optimization of features and cost for such a boat. The others are outrageously expensive choices for that boat, IMO.

Aqua Bound has a decent selection and fit guide.

Perfect, just the kind of info I was looking for! Thanks! And the $50-$100 savings over the other paddles is nice since, besides the kayak, I still have to get a PFD, roof rack AND kayak carrier, Scotty Rod holders and a Mad Frog Gear Lily Pad base for those!.....going to be doing my best to stimulate the economy in the coming months. :D

Brian

Hey sardog... I have been paddling the Long Island Sound for 3 years n find I want/need more power from my paddle. Will one with wider blades make a difference?

Any recomendations?

Hey sardog... I have been paddling the Long Island Sound for 3 years n find I want/need more power from my paddle. Will one with wider blades make a difference?

Any recomendations?

Wider blades will indeed make a power difference. The trade-off is the physical effort to use them effectively, which over a long haul might tire the paddler to a sub-optimum condition. That's why some paddlers prefer narrower blades for touring or just generally.

The Aqua-Bound line of touring paddles is an example of available paddle blades, for comparison:

Sting Ray -- 87 square inches, 6 x 18 inches
Eagle Ray -- 98 square inches, 6 x 20
Manta Ray -- 104 square inches, 7 x 18

Which blade will be best for a paddler is impossible to know until you're on the water using it. If there are dealer on-water demos in your area, that might be a chance to try different blade widths, even if not in the brand you're considering.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks I'll definately look into this at the Spring show in Central Park or the huge one in NJ where I can actually try it out.

Thanks I'll definately look into this at the Spring show in Central Park or the huge one in NJ where I can actually try it out.

Why wait for the spring? ..... LI Sound is still open.
I have the Werner Ikelos and the Cyprus you could try.

I'll wait till the water temps go into the 60s. Right now LI Sound water is 39°F, too cold for me. Anyway this is backpacking season no time for kayaking.

Alister come on down in the spring, maybe we'll try that paddle, Bronx to Greenwich n back n perhaps get some others involved?

BTW Dave, Check out this video... Rock Garden landings... the music is not bad either....

Plastic is the way to go in this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD6au3vEHvU&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
That is cold for sure. I don't have the equipment, otherwise I just may be out there, especially with the unusual warm winter we are having. Dry suit is on the way, perhaps next year or so. See winter is my backpacking season so I don't have any time for kayaking. I hate summers so Kayaking was a fill in to pass the heat days with some fishing to mix her up.

Come on down in the Spring, we'll get a nice pod n do some fun paddeling in the Sound.

nice deal, did you get that section piece that bungies to the front of the cockpit? It holds a drink and other small stuff in it.

Did the video cement the deal in buying the Pungo? :rolleyes:

Yep, a fine brand and they're repped by Danny Mongno, who distinguishes himself with that rare combination of great proficiency and great helpfulness. You can hear a very useful podcast interview with him on selecting a paddle and see a good video on Low Angle vs. High Angle paddling styles.

I got to talk to Danny at the big Paddlesport in NJ, I bought my Impex Mystic with help from him, I think this was before he inked a deal with Warner Paddles ( have a Warner FG little dipper and an AT Excursion CF paddle that I won).. He's a pretty helpful guy...

Paul Ron: Did you check out Paddlesport this year? Now that I'm no longer in NJ, I didn't go but I went there every year when I was there... If not to check out gear to listen to some of the speakers, etc.

Jay