Pants for Trail Maintenance

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nutsosa

Reaction score
Any recommendations for pants to wear while doing trail work?

I have a pair of Carhartts that I wear for yardwork, etc., but they're cotton. I'm attending the basic trail maintenance skills session tomorrow at Pinkham, and the forecast is calling for rain. Those Carhartts get very heavy and potentially chilly when they get wet. I have some waterproofing spray . . . should I try that?

Thanks!

If memory serves, they recommend that you bring a non Gortex
rain suit. I wear shorts and full gaiters when I do trail work.

I've worn Dickies for several years as an adopter. They've got some % of polyester that makes them bearable for me when soaked.

You'll only be out for several hours (most likely) and it probably won't pour all day so you should be okay. But if you do become drenched just remember the good hot shower at Camp Dodge is waiting

Hey Nutsosa I'll see you there. Look for me. I wont have a feather out of place. Just kidding. I really do not look like my avatar.

I am bringing cotton. In the info packet they sent they play down the "Cotton Kills" mantra. If we where above tree line building cairns and screewalls we may need to take extra precautions.

I've used Carhartts for trailwork for years, rain or shine. If you think it's really going to be chilly, throw on some polypro underneath. I never wear raingear when doing trailwork, it'll just get trashed.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll go with the Carhartts.

Puck, see you there! I'm heading up tomorrow morning. I'll look for your bright red plumage ;)

Wanna get some inexpensive trailworking pants? Go to your local goodwill store, and get polyester "used car salseman" pants. You can probably pick up a pair for about $5.00.

Sure you'll look funny on that trail with bright colored, mayby plaid pants, but they are definitely decent. My son did trailwork full time for several seasons using such pants.

Oh... Suspenders, not a belt.

What's the brand of pants favored by AMC trail crews? Seems to be durable.

Pete_Hickey said:
Wanna get some inexpensive trailworking pants? Go to your local goodwill store, and get polyester "used car salseman" pants. You can probably pick up a pair for about $5.00.
You mean Manager's pants. Hagar double knit.

If you had more time so you could order, I highly recommend Duluth Trading Post "Fire Hose Pants", a bit stiff when new but not as bad as a new pair of double layer Carharts. They are cotton but highly surface repellant, and much more durable.
They also offer a "Work Khaki" which is wicked comfortable for hiking. Once again also cotton, but with an extremely tight weave that creates great surface repellancy.
These folks make some rugged practical duds with extra stitching and gussets where youu always wanted it.

I just wear the same zip off, synthetic pants I always hike in. If you are brushing/blazing/water bar cleaning - its not really an issue. Rock wall building may dictate extra durable, as you have more of a chance of tearing on a rock.

I would HIGHLY discourage cotton. In most cases you sweat as much if not more during trailwork than regular hiking due to using your upper body as well.

I've never used knee pads when doing trailwork. What type of work do you find needs them?

Limmers are certainly a rock work tool. We'd frequently pry up large rocks with the bar then jam our feet under them to hold up the rock while we reset. Gotta love Limmers.

Andrew said:
.....and steel toe boots if your eyes are larger than ability regarding rocks!
Steel toe boots protect your feet from medium size rocks, but if the rock is heavy enough to bend the steel, extracting your foot afterwards can be a "bit" harder...

Doug

Andrew said:
.....and steel toe boots if your eyes are larger than ability regarding rocks!
Nobody I know uses steel toe boots, and that includes over 20 professional trail workers. My son, who ws a professional trailworker, is forced this summer to wear a pair of steel toe boots, and said to me, "The way these fit, I know why nobody wears them." They aren't made for walking.

Steel toes can also do more harm then good. As DougPaul points out, they put a handy sharp blade right over your foot. Slow, careful, planned work is the best safety measure. Watch your fingers, too, when doing rock work. About 20 years ago I saw a guy lose a finger end in the Beer Walls setting a trail rock.

I've been finishing concrete for 37 years and when I trowel out a floor by hand I always wear knee pads. I also wear them when i do flat or low brick work.

When I was a teen I had Osgood Schlatter disease and it left me with 2 one inch bumps below my knees which get irritated when I kneel on them. I also have a bad L4 so I like to kneel when I do low work so I won't irritate my back. So if I'm setting a stepping stone or clearing a drainage ditch or digging with my 18 inch adz I just get right down into it.

Steel toes do help. When I was 17 and first started working at San Vel pre stress concrete, we were required to wear steel toes. I tipped over a 3 ton steel form that kicked back and landed on my toes. After limping around for an hour, I finally heeded the advice of the old timers and had it checked out. When I took off my boot it was full of blood, but the doctors told me it was a good, clean straight break of my first two toes instead of smashed five toes.

Of course when I finish concrete, or do chimney tops, or trail work, or dig ditches, or hold a brick between my feet while I cut it with a 7 inch diamond blade, or hike hunting ravine I now always have my soloman aquatech water shoes on.

grog

Last edited: