Parking in the Whites or NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RTSpoons

Reaction score
I seem to remember there is a parking pass needed in NH, is this correct?

If so, is it yearly? How does the year run, from the time you purchase or from beginning of the year?

Finally, who do you contact for the parking permit?

Thanks ahead of time

If the Forest Service trailhead doesn't have all six amenities, then they can't charge a fee. (Picnic tables=n>1)

If the Forest Service trailhead doesn't have all six amenities, then they can't charge a fee. (Picnic tables=n>1)

But they often do anyway, and if you don't pay you get a $75 ticket

...and if you search on "WMNF parking fee" you'll find quite a few threads discussing parking fees and if they should be in place so let's avoid one more... 'k?

Thanks!

Many of the places that may still require a parking pass have a self registering set up right on location, so you could go that route and pay when you park.

But they often do anyway, and if you don't pay you get a $75 ticket

I'm genuinely curious, have you ever heard of them actually doing this? As you're probably aware, what they put on your windshield is not a ticket, but simply a reminder of the fee.

Not anymore -- someone on the ROT forums got a $75 ticket last year. His first offense, too. :(

At all trailheads that require a fee, there is a self-service pay station (just bring a few dollar bills since you can't get change if you have something bigger). Until very recently, this is the way I paid. For two years, it was actually cheaper for me to pay as I went instead of getting the annual pass (now it's a toss up, so I caved last month and got the windshield sticker).

I heard this weekend that the Forest Service has managed a way around that. I've been planning to renew my pass but haven't gotten around to it yet. I thought that if I received a warning, then I'd be pushed into buying a new pass, but that hasn't happened yet, either.

I heard this weekend that the Forest Service has managed a way around that. I've been planning to renew my pass but haven't gotten around to it yet. I thought that if I received a warning, then I'd be pushed into buying a new pass, but that hasn't happened yet, either.

Did you hear something from a Forest Service employee? Arguably, there's no legal way around it. From the Forest Service website:

"Standard Amenity Fees

"Examples: Picnic areas, developed trailheads, destination visitor centers, high impact recreation areas

"Explanation: Typically, standard amenity fees are day use fees, often covered by a day or annual pass. Each site or area must contain six 'amenities,' which are picnic tables, trash, toilet, parking, interpretive signing and security."

(Source; The specific FLREA law is linked to in this source and can also be found in some of the other threads that Stash alludes to.)

One attempted way that the Forest Service has tried to circumvent the law out West has been declare several separate trailheads to be within the same area. However, that would seem unlikely to hold up in court. Indeed, in Arizona, someone recently had the fee dismissed because the closest amenities, for which he was being charged a use fee, were miles from the trailhead that he was using. (Source)

Is it dead yet?

One has to wonder if more can be said on the subject of the validity of parking fees that hasn’t been said in
Court decision about National Forest parking fees
or
More $75 tickets in WMNF
or
White Mountain Parking Fee Changes for 2010
or
Pay More 2 Play (WMNF proposed fee changes)
or
WMNF Trailhead Fees
or
USFS Fee ruled illegal in AZ .

The questions asked...

I seem to remember there is a parking pass needed in NH, is this correct? Yes or no, depending on your interpretation of the above well worn threads.

If so, is it yearly? How does the year run, from the time you purchase or from beginning of the year? Daily, weekly or yearly from the time of issuance

Finally, who do you contact for the parking permit? http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/passes/

Last edited:
No, I don't think it's dead yet. I don't think it will ever die. It might be ailing, but it's not over till after the holidays...and then I think it will have a 1/2 life for many more days after that.

The ongoing discussion might not be dead, but we really don't need another thread on this. If anyone has a problem with the closing of this thread, just PM me.

-dave-

Status
Not open for further replies.