Peakbagging lists

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ADK100 list

Actually, there is a patch for the ADK100, and a website:
adirondack100highest.com
To see the patch, go to the site.
We're hoping to have a patch for the even more elusive Catskill100 sometime soon. Jay H will be the first to wear it.

Last edited:
Nate said:
Is this why Dixville Peak isn't on the Y-Alpine List? I was up there on Monday, and it sure seemed to me like a trail went all the way to the summit.
That is the Cohos Trail, you will have to ask the Y why it was left off.

I would think the members would complain, it can't help the reputation of the Y to publish such an obviously incorrect list and how much satisfaction do you get from completing a bogus list?

Congradulations form one unmitigated peakbager to another!

Here are some suggestions;

Highpoints of the US
State Highpoints- Utah, Colorado, California and Idaho (and etc) have some very challenging mountains and goals.

Have you done the lists completed in the winter yet?

Divise oyur own list

Interesting thread, the firetowers and belknaps interest me at least. I only have one patch ( NH4k). Im working on the 14ers in CO and this thread got me thinking, will i get a patch for them? LIke the person who started this thread, I think patches are a very good idea. Look, Ive climbed thousands of peaks for nothing, if I can get a patch for some of them Ill take it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! look out Belknap Range !!!!! I coming after YA !!!!!. :eek:

sierra said:
Interesting thread, the firetowers and belknaps interest me at least. I only have one patch ( NH4k). Im working on the 14ers in CO and this thread got me thinking, will i get a patch for them? LIke the person who started this thread, I think patches are a very good idea. Look, Ive climbed thousands of peaks for nothing, if I can get a patch for some of them Ill take it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! look out Belknap Range !!!!! I coming after YA !!!!!. :eek:

Did not see anything about a patch but I am guessing these are the people to ask. Oh they have a nice interactive map that reveals a picture of each peak as you mouse over them

14 ERS

sierra said:
I only have one patch ( NH4k). Im working on the 14ers in CO and this thread got me thinking, will i get a patch for them? LIke the person who started this thread, I think patches are a very good idea. Look, Ive climbed thousands of peaks for nothing, if I can get a patch for some of them Ill take it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"A Patch is only a symbol of our accomplishments." It shouldn't be the reason, "we choose to achieve these accomplishments."

To return to the topic of the Y-Alpine list, in addition to Dixville Peak and Hedgehog Mountain, are there any other 3k peaks in New Hampshire that have trails to their summits that aren't given on this list?

Nate said:
To return to the topic of the Y-Alpine list, in addition to Dixville Peak and Hedgehog Mountain, are there any other 3k peaks in New Hampshire that have trails to their summits that aren't given on this list?
Definitely including one already mentioned in this note, but I'll let you find it too

There are also peaks on the list that don't have trails :)

I think I posted a list of corrections somewhere

Late to the party

But I thought I'd add a few comments/answers in case anyone's still here:

Motabobo said:
So I take it there is no patch for anything listed in the 2nd section of my table ?!

What about the winter patch of the first section ?
The Four Thousand Footer Committee recently created winter patches for the NE 4000 and NE 100. They are similar to the any-season patches but with a more wintry color scheme. (Anyone out there who completed the list(s) before we had patches can contact me about getting one - or more.)

Mohamed Ellozy said:
Eric Savage's list (which seems to have disappeared) has an ambiguous (IMHO) criterion.
jmegillon149 said:
I also think Eric's T3000 is pretty straightforward, its just 3000', a trail, and a col requirement (not sure if its 100' or 200')
The col requirement (100 unambiguous feet) is only for nameless peaks (like North Jackson, which is the only one that I think I invented from scratch for this list). If it has a name, it just has to have a single countour line.
If the site hadn't disappeared (I still have to find a new place to host it), you would see that I readily admit that the criteria are ambiguous and hard to nail down (if there's a new trail out there, let me know) but you gotta start somewhere. Unlike certain other lists, I will update this as much as necessary. I'll definitely think about a patch, though I don't know if I'll manage to do them all in winter.

patches...
there are plenty out there - besides the common ones (catskill 35, adk 46, white mtn 48, n.eng.67, n.east 111,) there are firetower patches in n.y. & n.h., flags on the 48, northville lake placid, long trail, long path north (80 miles), connecticut blue trails (3 patches for 3 trails about 22 miles each), sleeping giant master (35 miles), suffern to bear mountain trail (24 miles), new york county high points... also if you stop in at the mountaineer in keene valley they have about 15 individual patches for different high peaks, and the 46ers have patches for for sale for east dix and south dix that say grace and carson on them because they are trying to rename these 2 peaks), and for 500 dollars you can get "life member" patch from the 46ers...

Winter patches

I don't know the current status, but when I got mine, the ADK46 winter patch was a "rocker", an arc which nests below the 46r patch with "winter 46" on it, and for the NE115, a regular 111'er patch which appeared to have white-out applied to the top. Whatever works... -John

Mohamed Ellozy said:
Eric Savage's list (which seems to have disappeared) has an ambiguous (IMHO) criterion.
Eric Savage said:
If the site hadn't disappeared (I still have to find a new place to host it), you would see that I readily admit that the criteria are ambiguous and hard to nail down (if there's a new trail out there, let me know) but you gotta start somewhere. Unlike certain other lists, I will update this as much as necessary.
Use the Internet Archive: http://web.archive.org/web/20050213001451/http://www.orie.cornell.edu/~savage/hiking/nht3000.htm

ken said:
patches...
there are plenty out there - besides the common ones ...

And there is the very rare 770 patch. :eek:

Though I must admit it was a somewhat limited production run.
Even so they're not flying off the shelf.

Jason, thanks for tracking down that list. I had found Eric's New Hampshire Hundred Highest list on The Wayback Machine some time ago, but when I tried it again in response to this current question I came up blank. I'm glad you had better luck than I did.

Hey, am I seeing a spell checker on here now? Thank goodness...

Here's a new list idea for this area - peaks in NH with USGS quads named
after them. As far as I know, nobody has climbed them all.

Blue Mtn
Carter Dome
Cowen Hill
Lovering Mtn
Lovewell Mtn metric
Magalloway Mtn
Metallak Mtn
Monadnock Mtn metric
Mt Cardigan
Mt Carrigain
Mt Chocorua
Mt Crescent
Mt Cube 15'
Mt Dartmouth
Mt Kearsarge 15'
Mt Kineo
Mt Moosilauke
Mt Osceola
Mt Pawtuckaway
Mt Pisgah
Mt Tripyramid
Mt Washington metric
Parker Mtn
Percy Peaks
Pliny Range metric
Prospect Hill
Smarts Mtn
South Twin Mtn
Squam Mtns
Stairs Mtn
Teakettle Ridge

Disqualified because summit out of state although part of NH is on quad:
Bosebuck Mtn
Monadnock Mtn VT
Mt Ascutney metric
Mt Grace
Rump Mtn

Quad named after a village, no summit with that name there:
Sugar Hill
Twin Mountain

Raymond said:
Hey, am I seeing a spell checker on here now? Thank goodness...
Did you just install Firefox 2.0? That's probably where your spell checker came from. There wasn't an upgrade on the site that I know of.

-dave-

One more list done

On Saturday the PeakMaster & I celebrated his birthday by climbing Teakettle Ridge to complete the list of NH peaks with UGGS quads named after them (see above). This would be an interesting rocky peak if a forest fire or glacier removed all the trees and briers. We had previously completed the equivalent MA list and are looking at VT, but will reserve ME for Spencer.

Worthless except for map freaks was nearby Dummer Hill. The USGS 15', USGS 7.5', and DeLorme Atlas each show the nearby roads differently, and each is more correct in some way.

NewEngland 3k Patch

Dennis C. said:
John Swanson and I worked on a design for the Northeast 3000 footers and then had 30 patches made back in 1996, just prior to our completion of the 770 peak list together the following year. So far (4) people have qualified for it that we know of. We figure anyone who has invested 10+ years on such a whacky pursuit (approx. 2/3 of which are bushwhacks) deserves a patch without charge, don't you think?

Dennis

My thoughts mirrored yours. They certainly deserve recognition.

For New England 3k Finishers, I have had a patch made. I hadn't seen one elsewhere.

If you qualify, email me and I will provide to you, gratis, this handsome, highly coveted patch.