Pemi loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMartman

Reaction score
is this the "traditional" pemi loop?

Pemi Loop #1 (Franconia-Garfield Ridges, Twinway, Bondcliff)

Directions: From Lincoln Woods, up Wilderness TR. (1.5mi), then West up Osseo Trail to Flume summit. Proceed North following Franconia Ridge, then Garfield Ridge Trails to Galehead Hut. Follow Twinway to Guyout. This section from Lafayette Peak to Guyout follows the AT. Proceed South on the Bondcliff Trail, passing Bonds, and traversing bondcliff. Descend to the Wilderness Trail 5 miles from Lincoln Woods.

Any help is much appreciated...Also is this too much to do in 1 overnight? Pretty fit hikers..

M

Yup, that's the loop. You can add side trips to Galehead, North Twin, Zealand, and West Bond (espcially the latter) but that's the basic loop. It's roughly 33 miles IIRC.

People (very fit people) do this as a dayhike, so yes it can be done as an overnight. If you start early and plan on making it to Garfield Ridge campsite that is roughly halfway. Spending the night at Galehead Hut would mean that you wouldn't need to carry tents, stoves, and dinner food. But it's still two long days with lots of rough terrain and exposure. Bad weather can make it a miserable outing, good weather could make it a trip to remember.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
Yup, that's the loop. You can add side trips to Galehead, North Twin, Zealand, and West Bond (espcially the latter) but that's the basic loop. It's roughly 33 miles IIRC.

People (very fit people) do this as a dayhike, so yes it can be done as an overnight. If you start early and plan on making it to Garfield Ridge campsite that is roughly halfway. Spending the night at Galehead Hut would mean that you wouldn't need to carry tents, stoves, and dinner food. But it's still two long days with lots of rough terrain and exposure. Bad weather can make it a miserable outing, good weather could make it a trip to remember.

-dave-

My plan was EXACTLY that...stay first night at Garfield tent site, which I also figured looked about half way, and Guyout is to far for us to make in a day without really busting hump...so Garfield it is..

Any idea how crowded it might be AFTER labor day weekend. The proposed dates are Sept 16-17....

Thanks in advance ...

M :D

KMartman said:
My plan was EXACTLY that...stay first night at Garfield tent site, which I also figured looked about half way, and Guyout is to far for us to make in a day without really busting hump...so Garfield it is..

Any idea how crowded it might be AFTER labor day weekend. The proposed dates are Sept 16-17....

Thanks in advance ...

M :D

Still fairly busy, depending on weather, but not as bad as recently. If Friday August 26 is any measure, Garfield campsite had 2 people occupying one tent platform by noon, no one in the shelter. (There are 7 platforms in all, some doubles.) On my way down the Garfield trail later that afternoon between about 3 and 5 p.m., I passed approximately 20 people headed up to the campsite. There was one large group of 10, a camp group I assume. That clientele won't still be hiking in Sept although there may be some college groups. I don't know how many were approaching from the other two directions. There is a caretaker there, probably still there on Sept. 16-17, and they always seem to manage however many show up. Get there as early as possible nevertheless. Before mid-afternoon you should be fine.

.....or you can do the loop counterclockwise, which I find easier, unlike many....

....can search for thread on the recent record hike (run) of the loop in 7.5 hours, I think.....

David Metsky said:
People (very fit people) do this as a dayhike,
-dave-
To give you an idea of this, I just did the whole Franconia ridge-up Flume slide across the summits, down Old Bridal Path connecting on the Whitehorse bike path. I wanted see how my stamina is for a planned Pemi-loop dayhike next June before I actually do it. I feel certain I could've gotten to the Garfield campsite and maybe Galehead....staring at that wall from the hut that is South Twin would be pretty daunting based on my personal stamina.

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
....and, of course, going counterclockwise up Garfield and Lafayette are no picnic either, but I still find the ccw easier; not sure why....
Agreed! But I might go CCW when we do it, if anything else you have a shorter walk out on Wilderness!