Pemi River Flooded

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH_Mtn_Hiker

Reaction score
FYI:
If you're heading out Sunday 10/28 for a hike in the Whites, be advised within the last hour the Pemi River at Woodstock has reached flood stage. Water crossings in the area may be hazardous.

Normal volume is about 300 cubic feet/ second. It's currently in excess of 10,000 cubic feet/second.

Just a heads up.

East Branch of the Pemi

Was quite high this morning!!

file.jpg

Great pics

Grouseking -

You have some very nice pictures of your time on Mt. Flume today. Great shots. I particularly liked the shot of Bondcliff in the sun with the shadows on the valley floor. Just out of curiosity, what do you use for a camera?

Cheers,
Enapai

The Pemi might be flooding but the RED SOX ARE WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!

Oh, and stream crossings in the Catskills weren't so bad today.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
I hate to ask but...

How was the hiking yesterday? Did I totally blow it by canceling the Owl's Head trip? It had to have been soggy and muddy at a minimum, even if the crossings subsided by late morning...

Tim

Last edited:
bikehikeskifish said:
I hate to ask but...

How was the hiking yesterday? Did I totally blow it by canceling the Owl's Head trip? It had to have been soggy and muddy at a minimum, even it the crossings subsided by late morning...

Tim
I went to the Catskills. The trails were wet but that area seems to drain differently than the Whites. Stream crossings were plentiful but easy. Trails were wet but no wetter than trails in the Whites on any given day! Great hike.

-Dr. Wu

bikehikeskifish said:
I hate to ask but...

How was the hiking yesterday? Did I totally blow it by canceling the Owl's Head trip? It had to have been soggy and muddy at a minimum, even if the crossings subsided by late morning...

Tim

The rivers were roaring yesterday. I could hear Lincoln Brook echoing off Franconia Ridge from the downlook yesterday. It was extremely loud...at first I thought it was the wind, but it was too steady to be the wind. Yesterday the wind came in gusts over by Flume. You did a good thing not hiking Owls head. The water so just too high. Flume, on the other hand, would have been a great alternative!

grouseking

Enapai said:
Grouseking -

You have some very nice pictures of your time on Mt. Flume today. Great shots. I particularly liked the shot of Bondcliff in the sun with the shadows on the valley floor. Just out of curiosity, what do you use for a camera?

Cheers,
Enapai

I have a Canon Powershot S3 IS, 6 MP. I bought a couple filters for it...haze filter, and polarizing filter, and that seems to clear things out a little bit. A few of my shots got washed out by the snow and rime ice, but what can you do? That just means its snowing and I'm happy. :)

grouseking

Here's what the Pemi looked like last weekend when Mike P. bravely forded Franconia Brook:

1690317486_bece9063cb_b.jpg

And here's what Franconia Brook looked like at the Lincoln Brook crossing:

1690319456_a358c4da44_b.jpg

bikehikeskifish said:
I hate to ask but...

Tim
I hiked Garfield yesterday, after bailing on Plan A- Galehead and the Twins- because of the water levels. (Thanks, Una Dogger.) Originally my Plan B was to catch up to you at Owl's Head. But I heard from another hiker on Garfield who'd been there that it was flooded. Garfield was his Plan B, my Plan C. Not knowing you'd canceled, I thought of you and Big Earl. I'm glad you got the word before the early rising and long drive.

Insert foolishly & luckily where TEO said bravely.

may need traction aid this weekend but the view of the rime ice or snow covered Franconia's will be nicer too.