Per cent of your life out of doors.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Reality check:
I once saw a Nike ad that said the average person spends less than 2% of their life outside. What per cent of your life do you spend out of doors? Sleeping in a LT or tent counts. So does walking to work, mowing the lawn etc.

Funny thing is as much as I try to get outside, hike, and enjoy the outdoors in general I bet I'm close to 2% of my life being spent outside. Probably 10% is spent in my car.

Hmmm.... 2% is only 28.8 minutes per day. I'm playing ultimate tonight for 2 hours.

Working at home has definitely driven down my percentage though.

I'd hope my percentage was at least 10% but even then, that means 90% of my time is indoors. Thanks for depressing me Neil.... :eek:

I'm gonna go outside and go for a walk right now!

-Shayne

I saw another add that gave the number of weekends available to adults based on life expentancy averages. That number was pretty darn low!!

2% seems incredibly low to me except maybe in winter. I'm at close to 10% during the week and well over that on the weekends.

Goodness, I dunno. Its kinda hard to say because I do so much outdoors. There is obviously the hiking. Im averaging about 3 hikes a month, on average they are about 4 hours in length. I spend every Saturday afternoon in the late spring to early fall fishing, say an average of 4 to 6 hours a trip. Then there is hunting season. I can spend upwards of 10 to 12 hours, at least twice a week for a month and a ahlf (well actualy three months now that I will be bow hunting.) Then there is ice fishing, I bought a bike to ride around the neighborhood on the weekdays (figured it would be good cardio training for hiking), if not biking then walking. So I would say its impossible for me to quantify, but Ill just say its more than 2 percent :D ;)
Brian

i spend most of my time outdoors, like some others here, i work outside everyday for at least 8hrs. then i try to spend at least 2 weekends a month hiking/packpacking/canoeing. i walk or run for exercise which is also done outside. i'd guess that i'm way above that 2%. on days like today though when it's so %@#* humid and hot i'd rather be indoors, or snowshoeing :)

Good question. I'll look into it...............

Okay, Here's what I got. I really only counted Hiking (mountains), running, cycling or lowland (training stuff) and not mowing the lawn, general walking about an such.

I just passed 100 hours for Mountain Hiking since Jan. 1 (pretty damn good given the 275 miles (each way) I gotta drive to get there. And addding another 75 hrs on lowland training hikes, plus the 4-6 hours each weeks I spend running (or cycling) outdoors each weeks. I come up with about 8.6 hours a weeks for "outside recreation" or 5.11 %.

Better than average. :D

not enough.

I figure I've gone on 21 long day hikes (or other outdoor activities) this year, averaging 8hrs each, maybe the same number of 2-3 hr short hikes, that adds up to about 200 hrs for Jan-July (about 5100hrs total so far this year) = about 4%. Maybe another 1% if you add up all those in-between outside moments snow shoveling or gardening or whatever.

Cottage ownership -- has pluses and minuses, but certainly a huge plus is that we are never indoors unless it is raining, and even then we may not be! I sleep outside when I can. Get up early, breakfast on the porch then outside caring for things, out for a bike ride, golf round or walk before putting in to the water for the remaiinder of the day and sitting by a campfire in the evening. This past weekend (Santanoni) put 65+ hours of steady outdoor time on my clock -- my mother has told me that her goal every day when I was a kid was to "get you outside" -- and I must be one of those emotionally damaged people -- I knew I was out ot stay!

I don't know of the percentage, but I do know that it's every chance I get!

Jim lombard said:
2% seems incredibly low to me except maybe in winter.

How much credence do you give to 'facts' told on a Nike ad? This sounds to me like the things urban legends are made of. Hey, you know, in a SPAM I received, it said that the average length of... oh never mind.

I'm doing twice that just comuting to work.

alright so ive figured it out for myself this summer. right now im at 47% because i spent 1/2 my summer on a trip but i bet im usually about 2-5% as sad as that sounds. 2% on weekends and the rest from biking to work or school every day and i usually snowboard 3 times a week in the winter.

2% is about 1/2 hour per day/3.5 hours per week?...sounds like prison :eek:

kILL YOUR TV! That will help. I did about 6 years ago.

I'd guess I'm outdoors about 50% to 60% when I have outside work, and around 25% when I have indoor work.

Weekends, I'm around 70% :)

After playing ultimate last night we went out and since I had just read this thread I decided to opt for the patio. Add a couple more hours to this weeks total.... :D

-Shayne

The operative word here is "AVERAGE".
I will never consider myself average-that would be way too depressing! :(

I don't think we have a whole lot of average people on VFTT,either.You ask most people what they did last weekend,and you get"ahh,not much..went to a movie etc"
Would you have the same answer? No Way!
If we were average,we would be discussing pizza toppings and reality TV shows.

If I ever sink to the point of being average,I'm gonna ask Dr. Phil to cure me! :D

Interesting..... If I only count active time spent outdoors, skipping stuff like mowing the lawn, walking to get the mail, painting the house etc. I come up with my average summer week:

60 minutes walking the dogs each day = 7 hrs
2 mid week bike rides @ 2 hrs each = 4 hrs
Saturdays, 3 hours (cycling, kayaking, etc) = 3 hrs
Sundays, 4-5 hours cycling = 4.5 hrs
total = 18.5 hrs
(18.5/168)*100 = 11%

Hey, not bad for a slacker!!!! I guess I owe it all to the pups!

It probably evens out during the year.... as the days get shorter I lose my midweek bike rides, but in the fall & winter I spend more of the weekends outdoors due to hiking and skiing.