Permits for White Mountain National Forest Christmas Trees

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine Chris

Reaction score
Found this article interesting/surprising. Anyone know if they have done this before? Discovered it at the website listed below when looking at forest road closures. I am curious what folks think about the idea of selling $5.00 permits for folks to collect their own Christmas tree in the White Mountain National Forest in the manner listed below-
White Mountain National Forest Christmas Trees
Release Date: Nov 26, 2012
Contact(s): (603) 536-6100

Campton, NH - Cutting your own Christmas tree can be an enjoyable adventure for the entire family. This year you may want to plan a visit to your National Forest! Bundle up, make a lunch, bring your handsaw or ax and look for that special tree. You will need a permit, sharp saw, thermos of cocoa and a little patience.
A Christmas tree permit can be purchased for $5, cash or check only - from the White Mountain National Forest. Offices are located in Campton, Lincoln, Gorham and Conway NH. For office hours and permits visit: www.fs.usda.gov/whitemountainabout-forest/offices
Several different types of evergreen grow in the White Mountain National Forest. Many people prefer the balsam fir because of fragrance and needle retention. Others prefer the spruce because of the fullness of the branches and the classic shape. Keep in mind that a wild tree may not have the perfect appearance of a commercial tree. Be prepared to do some real searching. Somewhere out there is your ideal Christmas tree!
Please remember:
Trees are for personal use only, not for resale. Each family may cut one tree per permit.
Use only hand tools to cut Christmas trees. Chainsaws are not permitted.
Make sure you are on National Forest land. Respect the rights of landowners when crossing private property.
Do not cut trees in or near campgrounds, picnic areas, Experimental Forests, Wilderness, timber sale areas, or within 100' of a state highway. When you purchase the permit ask if there are any known "off limit" areas.
Do not cut trees larger than 8" in diameter at chest height. Pack down limb piles low enough so they are within 2' of the ground. Scatter limbs and wood at least 25 feet away from roads, streams, hiking trails, and property boundaries.
Cut your tree so remaining stumps will be less than 10" in height.
Attach your tree tag after cutting and before transporting your tree.
Be prepared for winter -- dress appropriately in warm clothing, and make your day a safe one!

oh, ok. I didn't realize that this had been going on for several years now. Has anyone here ever taken advantage of acquiring their very own White Mountain Forest tree? Care to share your experiences?

Haven't done it myself, but there were several families gathering trees last December when I went up Passaconaway by Oliverian Brook. There's a whole stretch along there that was an appropriate size last year, and they seemed to be having a good time. Ok, maybe they didn't enjoy watching me change out of my wet hiking pants in the parking lot :)

Last year I saw two women get out of their car at the trailhead for Welch-Dickey and walk a little ways into the woods for a Charlie Brown type tree. A man who had just finished his hike (looked like he had been doing some trail work 'cause he had tools in hand) scolded them soundly for taking a tree out of the National Forest. The women quietly ignored the man's rant and drove off.

I don't know if they had a permit or not.

This program has been active for many years. It provides another great excuse to tramp around in the woods!

I've certainly seen cars with MA plates driving home on I-93 out of the Whites area with trees tied up top. I assume they've cut their own, it's a long drive just to buy one. :)
And wow do they get icky with road oil and salt all over them.

I'll let DP post links to the previous discussions here.

Basically I consider this a harmless activity as long as people obey the rules and don't take planted ornamental rules from picnic areas, etc. It would be nice if permits could be acquired on weekends in the GMNF.

A columnist's opinion:
http://www.easternslopes.com/2009/12/04/stalking-the-wily-wild-christmas-tree/

MJ - get your wife an SUV and a tree will fit inside :)

Roy, she already has a Rav4, I'd rather not anything bigger! And I'll tell ya, I wouldn't want to have to clean out the sap and pine needles afterward. :)

Although we cut our own at Rock Estates in Bethlehem, I have often thought of looking for that perfect tree while hiking and coming back in the winter. I would prefer that there was some snow on the ground so I could use my ski pulk.