Photo annual extravaganza

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More pics - east and west

I've really been enjoying the pictures - thanks everyone.

Here are a few of mine from this past year:

Rainbow clouds over the High Sierra

Valhalla

Sunrise on Panther

Rime Ice and Santanoni

Llamas heading up Forester Pass

Ponderosa Pine flower in Snow Mountain Wilderness

Rocky shore and birds at Point Reyes

Panorama including Tuolumne Peak in Yosemite

The gang at Henry Coe State Park

On the shoulder of Mt. Shasta

Donning climbing skins on the way up General Creek

Lots more pictures associated with each of these - just click the blue link at top left on each page to see an index.

Oh - and here's one more, for the Adirondack folks:

Pete Hornbeck's Lost Pond

Enjoy,
Steve

The image attached is from Black Mountain in the Lake George region. I have night hiked this mountain many times to shoot sunrise. This is from last fall. You are looking north in this image.

Sunrise from Santanoni

saSant01.jpg

View from Colden

ab3Colden03.jpg

Lots more, click to your heart's content! :p

pudgy_groundhog said:
Steve, we saw the same rainbow clouds when we were in Yosemite, which I had never seen before. Thanks for sharing!

Yeah - that's the first time I've seen anything like that either. It was really striking in person - the picture only does it partial justice.

We were on the John Muir Trail between Wallace Creek and the Bighorn Plateau, up at about 10,000'. Guess everything lined up just right to make that happen, and glad to hear we're not the only ones to see such a thing!

That's from the ledges on Mt. Moriah, on the Carter-Moriah Trail coming up from Imp Shelter. We basically hiked from in the clouds to up above them, then as the day got warmer it rose and caught back up to us. We could visibly see the entire undercast rising.

The nearer ridge on the left is North-Middle-South Carter.

view from Gros Morne Mountain, Western Newfoundland

Last edited:
gross mourn was the pronunciation used while i was there,my relatives on the east coast(harbor grace) did to.
perhaps the french way of saying it drops the s, i dunno!

gros morne translates from native language to "big gloomy"....i love that

another interesting translation blomidon= blow me down

Grow morn'

Please end the confusion! It is not native langage, it is FRENCH and yes it translates loosely to big gloomy (Gros=BIG). But most english speaking people have a hard time with it or just don't know what it means and that it is French.
In Wyoming, there is a mountain called Nez Percé near Jackson Hole. Nobody knows that it means pierced nose. By the way, the z in Nez is silent also...And 99.9 % of the people that visit the area are clueless as to what Grand Teton means...

so i was told by rangers that the native peoples (beothuck) called the mountain big gloomy...i love that... which was translated to gros morne.

hopes this clears the confusion

next translation....regular coffee = double double

peace, charlos

Re: view from Gros Morne Mountain, Western Newfoundland

One of the most spectacular trips I've done was in Gros Morne (Long Range Mt. Traverse). As soon as I get some more smarts as to how to post pics, I'll post a few. :confused: