Photos of Irene destruction in the Johns Brook Valley

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you so much for posting those awesome pictures, being one of the two trail steward of the (former?) Orebed Trail and involved in the Orebed Ladders project I was particularly interested in getting the fascinating picture of the new and improved Saddleback/Gothics valley.

Christine

PS: Mind you the makeshift rain measurement gauge tool could have overstated the total inches: http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/wea00/wea00159.htm

Last edited:
Wow, those are unbelievable photos, thank you!

I see there's even a documented slide ascent, complete with naming.

Also, I was pretty surprised at the photo of "Fording John's Brook to check on camps." :eek: I woulda wanted a little rope security for that.

Great stuff, thanks!

Great photos, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to puttering around on an adk slide or two, new or old, next summer. But, not going to recognize slide name based on someone else's dog's name. Just my humble opinion.

Seemingly inconsequential events often end up as part of place names. I doubt if Matilda ever thought the request from her sister to hitch up her dress would lead to a named walkway.

HitchUpMatildasandReflection.jpg

The Hitch Up Matildas, circa 1990's

Wow. While I'm cognizant of the hardship this event means for so many people, I will gladly embrace the silver lining in the form of new slides to enjoy. That line on Saddleback looks wonderful.

"Fording Johns Brook" These guys know the brook very well. That crossing is straight through the woods in front of JBL porch and it is as well a very good crossing in winter!

name game

1st ascent, gotta honor it! I'm thankful we don't have another, main, left, right, middle, south, north, central, etc....