Pictures please

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check Dave Metsky's White Mountains Server, (http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/whites/wild_carter/h02.jpg, for example), although the photos are likely to worry you more than they assuage you.

It's not so bad when you're actually there. The worst part of the hike was going down the ski slope from D, wading through the chest-high weeds without any shade. Next time I'll go down the steps.

my humble suggestion is to start on the Lost Pond trail, instead of from Glen Ellis. That way you get a warmup before tackling the ledges. If you start from Glen Ellis, it's across the road, across the river and then almost immediately UP. Sorry I have no pics. I went out and back to 'A', so going down them was almost worse than going up.

My trip from last year pics start HERE

I wouldn't call any of the scrambling technical although winter conditions would change my mind on a couple of spots. If it's wet - use a lot of caution in some places. There is one short section literally cut into the cliff face that has a long drop.

The climb up to the ridge was the fun part. Sweating buckets the rest of the day was wearisome :)

Bob

Last edited:
If you want the Adventure... take the trail from Glen Ellis Parking.

Knowing the pack your gonna have... I'd just assume take the Pole Cat trail up the left side of the Ski area to the top of D. :)

It's not nearly as bad as its reputation. Poison Ivy and I both did it handily with full packs at the start of a 3-day backpack. But ... I wouldn't even think of attempting it wet. Traction is not something you want to be without up those ledges.