Pole reccomendations....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slamdog

Reaction score
I had used an old pair of regular old ski poles for my 46 and more. They say all good things must come to an end, and I snapped one off coming back from Coochie in February. I need to get a new pair and have done some searching. Let me expalin that the reason I used a regular old one peice ski pole was becasue at 240lbs I didn't want the poles to collapse. Seems like evryone else uses the 2 and 3 section poles. If you have any thoughts, I'd appreciate the feedback. Tx. L

Not 240, but farther to the right of 200 than I'd like to be, not counting the usually substantial pack.

I pounded the you-know-what out of a pair of Leki Extremes and they never whimpered -- skiing and falling frequently on the poles, snowshoeing and falling infrequently on the poles, and bushwhacking where poles really oughtn't go. Then I carelessly left them at a trailhead. I went right out and bought another pair, without thinking of looking for any alternatives.

Black Diamond makes a couple of poles that use a flip lock to keep the sections extended rather than the standard screw and expander found in most poles. I've had good luck with the Black Diamond poles staying open even with a lot of body weight on them (I too am not of the small frame design). Plus, the poles that I have only cost about $80 as opposed to over $100 for many Leki designs.
-C

NewHampshire said:
There is the old addage "you get what you pay for"....but my sister and I have had considerably good luck with the cheapo Wal Mart "Swiss Gear" poles.

Brian
I two use cheap poles (2 section)...they're built a little heavier than the Leki's and other expensive poles. Mine are now 3 years old... I've fallen on them numerous times and they've held up great. None of the 3 sets of expensive poles I had lasted more than a few months.

I use Leki Super Makalus, they are very durable, since most of my hiking is bushwacking they get tested every time out. I definitely got what I paid for.

Any trekking poles are better than no trekking poles, at least that is what I think my knees have told me. I have a pair of Leki Super Makalus that I have put a lot of miles on, and they have never failed me (at least so far, knock on wood). I periodically take them apart, wipe out the insides of the sections, and have replaced the expanders. I tighten them up before heading out for anything serious, and check them at least once before coming down. A friend of mine has used his EMS brand (made by Komperdell) almost as hard as I have used mine.

I looked at poles for years and did not buy, thinking they were expensive. Bought my Leki's at a really good sale price at EMS. If I break a pole or lose them, I will immediately buy a new pair (after shopping brands and features) and happily pay full price. They make that much of a difference to my 55 year old knees.

I typically don't use poles, BUT when I am doing some serious backpacking (60+ lb pack) or when I am using skis as part of a winter hike, I use Leki poles (the Super Cross and Air Ergo's). Yes, they are more expensive than some of the other brands, but you pay for what you get... (the only failure I have EVER had was 3 years ago in BSP when the temp was -35 where the internal threaded section snapped on the Super Cross. I fixed the pole a few weeks later by pinning it and it works well other than it is now not adjustable)

What typically fails in poles is the collapse mechanism. An inexpensive one piece pole is more durable than most 2 piece poles. The problem is it doesn't pack well...

Hiking poles are a frequent topic--you should be able to find many threads on the topic with a search.

I personally have had good service from 2 sets of Lekis (one 2 section for skiing and one 3 section set for hiking). An occasional cleaning of the tubes and a tiny dab of silicone grease on the threads and no problems. (The grease makes it much easier to tighten and loosen the locking mechanism. Just don't get any on the outside of the expansion nuts or the inside of the tubes.)

Pete's Treking Poles (a good howto): http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm.

Doug

Last edited:
Hi Slamdog.
I live North of 240 and use poles and have even bent them a few times. I have gone through a pair of Advance Base Camp poles in the mid-90's and then 3 or 4 pairs of Komperdells since then (I think 2 of these were EMS Branded). Though I am not sure if I can state I have actually gone thru 3 or 4 sets, since I have bits and pieces of each set that I use to fix older poles to have a well working makeshift backup pair handy.
I use these only for hiking, since I am tall, and at even the longest length, they are still too short for me for XC Skiing.

I also have a set of Leki's (my good poles) that I had since 1999 and I use them sparingly - Usually when I am heading out with a tarptent that need very reliable poles to set up.

I do think that Lekis are better than Komperdells, As Frodo said, I also find problems in the internal mecm failing over time - even though I do try to keep the mechanism clean. That said, I can usually find sets of Komperdells on close-out sale at REI or EMS, cheap enough to justify running through more of them than the Leki's (as well as giving me spare parts).

I have used the leki's with the adjustable setting, and they would collapse on me, I just felt like I could never really trust them. I boughht a pair of black diamond trekking poles that have a locking device, so there is no chance of collapsing, and I love them. You can buy them at EMS for $50, and they are half the price of the Leki's.
good luck :)
kmac

I really like poles with a cane-type handle, and use two of them, not just one. The bend in the handle allows my hands to fit in a more natural position. Right now I'm using the EMS Walker and they've held up very well.

I have an old pair of EMS 2 piece poles(bargain corner), but a set of ski poles has worked perfectly well on many occasions.

I'm not quite ready for a walker yet! :eek: :D

I use poles, or not, based on the terrain. For a long flat trail walk like the NP, they are great and really help. On the other hand, if the trip is going to be mostly running, bushwhacking, or rock scrambling (most of my trips), they're just extra gear that's in the way.

We've had good luck with the BD flicklocks, Life-Links, and also with cheapies from the used sporting goods store (new cheapies there are about $30 / pair). Our older Lekis wore out and collapsed a lot, but we haven't tried Leki in a number of years, and they've probably improved.

Of course we aren't much of a test, weighing 120 and 140.

TCD

TCD said:
Of course we aren't much of a test, weighing 120 and 140.

TCD

I have REI poles made by Komperdale. Never a problem...although they slip from time to time.

My wife on the other hand has bent two EMS poles both made by Komperdale. The first was a two section bargain. It went right through the snow and got caught up in some rocks for a perfect fulcrum, she weights in at 120 when wet and pockets full of rocks. The Second time she had $80.00 woman's poles. Bent one very easily and I don't know how she did it. EMS swapped out the bent section. No charge.

I had a pole bend once, but that happened once when falling and the darn thing tangled up in my feet as I tumbled down the Hancock slide one day I was hiking solo. As a result, I never use the straps and have taken them off the poles.

I've used Leki Super Makalu's for about 5 years now, the same pair, so I'm happy with them. I like the idea of the Black Diamond sytem with the locking bottom section and flip lock for fast adjustment of the upper. I haven't met any one with them yet, however.

Kevin

Puck said:
I have REI poles made by Komperdale. Never a problem...although they slip from time to time.

My wife on the other hand has bent two EMS poles both made by Komperdale. The first was a two section bargain. It went right through the snow and got caught up in some rocks for a perfect fulcrum, she weights in at 120 when wet and pockets full of rocks. The Second time she had $80.00 woman's poles. Bent one very easily and I don't know how she did it. EMS swapped out the bent section. No charge.

Puck

I've used Komperdale's in the snow with their baskets. They keep coming off because of the twisting motion and the baskets grabbing snow.This has been this way on three sets we've had.
We now use Leki'-s and haven't had a problem with them although the one's made 4 years or so ago by Leki wouldn't hold they'd collaspe on me when leaning into them sometimes. They've changed the design for that and now the Super Leki's I have work great.