Poll: Where do you hike the most?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where do you hike the most?

• Whites (NH)

Votes: 72 50.3%
  • Greens (VT)

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Maine

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • ADKs (Northern NY)

Votes: 35 24.5%
  • Catskills (Southern NY)

Votes: 21 14.7%
  • Other mountainous places (e.g. Rockies, Alps)

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Non-mountainous places (e.g. Rail Trails, beaches)

Votes: 9 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Neil said:
Interesting results. I assumed the Whites would win by a huge landslide (no pun intended). There are more ADKers on the board than I thought. Do my fellow ADKers post less often than the Whiteys?

The results so far are about what I expected.

Tom Rankin said:
I thought 70-80 % would vote for the Whites. Shows you what I know. :)

Tom Rankin said:

True, but don't forget only 152 (so far) of the members of this site have weighed in. That's actually pretty good response for a poll, but it is still just shy of 7% of the membership. Probably pretty reflective of the actively participating (daily) membership though.

I agree though Tom. Results are about what I expected. There are more "White mountain" related questions simply because, as we can see, there are more of Whites based hikers out there. ADK questions follow a distant second, and so does the membership. Catskills, Maine, VT and so on fall pretty much in line with the way the "posting habits & tendencies" seem to flow.

Not that any of this further advances our knowledge of backcountry pursuits :rolleyes: . Still, it is interesting (to me) in a way. Years ago, it seemed that this board was about 40% Whites, 40% ADK, 10% everyone else. Seems that ADK-based membership has eroded a bit (for whatever reason) and Catskills and Maine based membership have filled the void nicely while the Whites based membership is holding steady.

That's not bad or good (IMHO), it just is :D. Besides, there is still plenty of great backcountry information to be found on here no matter WHAT you call your "home range", and that folks............. is all that really matters ;)

Last edited:
I voted catskills be cause they are the closest. The obvious trend is for people to hike at the nearest location to the homes. Does anyone bypass the nearest mountains to hike at another location? What is the reason. I suspect it would be from people working on some list, after completing their "home" territory now travel to further locations to complete another list.

ADKs for me. Let's see... I wave to Mavs as I drive by his home (almost a 100 miles further) since it is 6.5 hours minimum for me to get anywhere near a mountain. That is if I don't stop. This year I have been splitting up my trips. I started in the Catskills for the first time in February and have logged 19 so far, a few in the Whites (last weekend Presi Traverse) and the most in the ADKs.

The Cats and ADKs are the same distance for me. This year alone, I missed only five weekends not spent in the mountains. On my way to 100 summits this year! With my gas consumption alone we are talking in excess of $500 per month. Sigh....I need a new job.

I'll also be in Oregon for a solo on Mount Hood the third week of July. Fly back to Buffalo and back to Seattle 5 days later for Mount Rainier and maybe Mount Hood again.

Overnight winter trips in the Whites,and haven't crossed into the Whites in Maine yet.
In the warmer weather,we "hike" the coast of Maine,er..well actually we 'hike 'off the coast of Maine on the Maine Island Trail by sea kayak.
And now,we've arrived at one of the two happiest days of a sailboat owners life-the day he buys a boat. It's a 21ft swing keel. Am I still allowed to post here? :D

Ohhh,the second day?
The day he sells it! :D

First post...been a lurker for a while, figured I'd hop in on this poll.

Nowdays, I'm spending most of my time in the Greens. It used to be the Whites (I finished the NH 48 when I was 14 years old, I'm 24 years old now) and then started hammering away in the Adirondacks which stalled for other life events (college and such). I have yet to hike in Maine for anything but white water rafting and snowboarding, but I plan on getting out there later this year to finish up the NE 111(rather 115) with my father, as he only has 5 peaks remaining, all in Maine. (With the exception of Slide).

Anyways, great information on this forum, much thanks to all the trip reports especially.

I'm starting to post some pictures and trip reports VERY slowly at:

www.forthoseabouttorock.net

-Brian

Last edited:
elhefe007a said:
First post...been a lurker for a while, figured I'd hop in on this poll.

Nowdays, I'm spending most of my time in the Greens. It used to be the Whites (I finished the NH 48 when I was 14 years old, I'm 24 years old now) and then started hammering away in the Adirondacks which stalled for other life events (college and such). I have yet to hike in Maine for anything but white water rafting and snowboarding, but I plan on getting out there later this year to finish up the NE 111(rather 115) with my father, as he only has 5 peaks remaining, all in Maine.

Anyways, great information on this forum, much thanks to all the trip reports especially.

I'm starting to post some pictures and trip reports VERY slowly at:

www.forthoseabouttorock.net

-Brian

Welcome!

Good luck to both of you on the 115! Several 'regulars' here finished last year. What's your last peak going to be ?

Just a nit, both of your Catskill links seems to be broken...

I hike mostly along the AT in Pa. CT and Ma some also. Hike in the Whites for a week's vacation in the summer. Do some snowshoeing in the Berkshires in the winter.

Welcome!

Good luck to both of you on the 115! Several 'regulars' here finished last year. What's your last peak going to be ?

Just a nit, both of your Catskill links seems to be broken...

I personally am going to try to finish on Haystack in the Adirondacks. From what I understand, the views from Haystack on a clear day are flat out fantastic.
My father will probobly finish on Slide, but I don't think he has a preference at this point, haha.

elhefe007a said:
I personally am going to try to finish on Haystack in the Adirondacks. From what I understand, the views from Haystack on a clear day are flat out fantastic.

Indeed they are. Even sweeter in winter.

Perfect choice for a finish. Do it by itself so you can lounge up there and soak it all in. I was there with an illustrious member of this board a couple years ago and we spent three hours on the summit. Just the two of us! We planned to do Basin and Saddleback as well, but couldn't tear ourselves away from that uberpeak.

...and welcome aboard, former lurker...

elhefe007a said:
My father will probobly finish on Slide, but I don't think he has a preference at this point, haha.

Given the geography of the area, not to mention trip reports, I'm confident that Haystack has prime summit views, perhaps one of the best, if not the best. However...we hiked it on a "perfectly clear" day (not a cloud in the sky). On the top of Little Haystack, we noticed ominous low-lying clouds in the distance. Once on Haystack, we couldn't see three feet in front of us at times, and had to take care on the way up. This was our 46th peak. Of course, once off of Haystack, the fog lifted, and there was not a cloud to be seen the rest of the day... :mad: Perhaps there is a good weather service that offers enough detail to predict this sort of thing?

I voted for the Adirondacks (Haystack is awesome, especially in winter) but lately have been hiking the Greens and the AT by section since I am now five minutes from the AT trailhead. I want to see a moose!

Hiker from MN

Limited hiker here - but most of my hikes are in MN - around Winona - bluff country here so limited hikes of <500 ft elevation gain. Went to SD and wandered in the Bad Lands and Black Hills last summer - climbed Harney Peak in the Black Hills - firts substantial hike - got me wanting to do more. So in a month heading your way. Cliping the ADKs gonna do some canoing there actually - then into Vermont to climb Mansfield and bit of other things - then over to NH to do Monadnock.

So maybe in a month my vote may change!

Nick from Winona

Last edited: