Poll: Where do you hike the most?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where do you hike the most?

• Whites (NH)

Votes: 72 50.3%
  • Greens (VT)

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Maine

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • ADKs (Northern NY)

Votes: 35 24.5%
  • Catskills (Southern NY)

Votes: 21 14.7%
  • Other mountainous places (e.g. Rockies, Alps)

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Non-mountainous places (e.g. Rail Trails, beaches)

Votes: 9 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
jfb said:
Hey, how about the Berkshires? Aren't they around here somewhere? :confused:

I knew that no matter how many places I listed, I would get "What about xxx?", so I just cut if off where I was, and added 'other'... Sorry! :D

I do a good amount of hiking in my beloved state of Pennsylvania, but the NE mountains keep calling me out. The Catskills are closest (3 hrs), and I hike there the most, but I've been spending a lot of time this year in the Whites (6-7 hrs away). I'll also make a few trips to the Dacks (5 hrs) and Maine (9-11 hrs) before the summer is out. My VW Jetta is getting a great workout. :)

I'm one who voted for two places, thanks for the option to do so. One place I was :) to vote for (the Whites) the other I had :( to vote for (Non-mountainous places).

These days I only get to the Whites once a year but for a full week and all I pretty much do is hike when I'm there. In past years I got up there a couple of times a year so I've done a good amount of hiking in the WMNF.

Living in R.I. we don't have any mountainous terrain so our trails are few and not very challenging. However, they are enough to keep in hiking shape for my trips to the Whites. Since R.I. is not a hikers state, the trails are generally in excellent condition. It's also not uncommon for me to have a trail all to myself. The scenary certainly can't match up to the Whites but each trail does have some attractive features. Still though I hike in my home state to get in shape for bigger and better trails elsewhere.

Last September I was in Lake Placid at a business conference. I wanted so badly to hit a trail but couldn't find the time to do so. I do plan on going back there for a family vacation and hitting a trail or two. I did get to briefly stop and check out a few on the way home. They looked pretty good to me. In fact if anyone can recommend some trails in the Lake Placid area I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

:)

Usually, the Whites are my regular haunt. This year, however, I've been in Maine a lot more than NH, since I'm trying to finish up the Maine AT this year, as well as the NE 67 (and I only have Maine peaks left.)

-- Ivy

I mostly hike in the White Mts. just 'cause they are so close to home. I do love Maine, Vermont, and, or course the ADKs.

But if I had to pick the place I WISH I could hike more - then that would be the Southwest - no contest!

Interesting results. I assumed the Whites would win by a huge landslide (no pun intended). There are more ADKers on the board than I thought. Do my fellow ADKers post less often than the Whiteys?

mavs00 said:
The Adirondacks are my closest mountains at 5.5 hours (one way) and my most frequent hiking destination. (14-18 trips a year - from 1-7 days at a whack)
And to think I used to complain that the Adirondacks were too far away from Montreal. My furthest High Peaks trailhead (Upper Works) takes me 3 hours if I get stuck in rush hour traffic leaving town. Otherwise it's a 2 1/2 hour drive. I can do Whiteface in 2 hours. (Rub, rub, rub)

I hike the Kittatinny's (That would be in NJ) the most only because they are in my backyard. Usually the Delaware Water Gap, Stokes and High Point. As for mountains i have to say the Catskills. I can get there in under 1.5 hours. I am not big on driving far so I tend to stick closer to home.

I day hike in CT, but get up to the ADK's a few times a year. It's no further than the Whites, but seems more remote.

Location, location, location

Seems like pretty predictable results-people overwhelmingly tend to hike closest to where they live. Interesting thread nonetheless, as it shows a little demographic slice of VFTT. I thought once about starting a "where-do-you-live?" poll, but this one seems to be having comparable results. I voted for the Catskills, and I also frequent the Shawangunks, which are 15 minutes away. Actually, in terms of sheer frequency, I would have to say the Wallkill Valley Rail Trail, as I walk and/or ride on it practically every day on the way to work or run errands. I'll eventually get in gear and head up the Northway to the ADKs. All the NE trip reports and pics make me want to get over there, too. The remoteness of Maine seems especially appealing. At least we can all live vicariously through one another when it's too far to drive.

Matt

I live close to Boston, so spend alot of time in the Blue Hills when I don't have the chance to head further out (and up). Sure they may be in the non-mountainous catagory, but they've got many miles of trails to explore and make a good warmup in the spring. And they don't really seem too well-known, so especially if you keep off the Skyline Trail, you can get some good 'alone-in-the-woods' time (just try to ignore the sounds from the nearby highways)

I spend most of my time hiking in the Whites although I also have done quite a bit of spring and fall hiking in the Massachusetts hills along the Midstate and the M&M Trail. When I don't have a lot of time to drive, I go to Mount Wachusett (15 minutes drive) or to Monadnock (slightly less than an hour drive). I spent one day this past spring exploring part of the Long Trail while I was in Vermont. I'm planning to get to Maine and Vermont more often as soon as I finish up my NH 4 K's - 2 to go! Getting out to the Daks is also on my places to go list. I just got back from spending a week on Mount Rainier. Now that was peak bagging!

I voted Whites and Maine, but it is mostly the Whites for now. Once I'm done with the 48 in NH, I'll be doing a lot more hiking here in my home state, primarily to work on the NE67, but also more of the general exploring-type of backpacking. :D

I voted for the White Mountains (they're the only ones within driving distance for the day), but since 1998 we've taken at least two week-long vacations each year (and from 1999-2001 it was three weeks each year) in the Adirondacks. That's because it was there I caught the peakbagging bug, and wanted to complete the Forty-Six by my 46th birthday. Hiked the final two in July 2002, so that reduced the annual trips to two until Susan finished them (last year). We'll cut back to just one week this year.

We've gone to Acadia National Park to hike at least the last couple years. We've never spent an entire week in New Hampshire hiking; we usually stop there on the way back from Maine or go up for a day, but when I go alone, it's almost always there.

I'm now working on the New England Hundred Highest, so most hikes will be here the next couple years. Susan still has 21 to climb in the White Mountains, so that will keep us in New Hampshire as well. She also needs the two 4000-footers in the Catskills, so we may head there, too.

Last edited:
Whites. Not because of the distance (300+ miles, 5+ hours if I take the Port Jeff-Bridgeport ferry; more if I drive around) but because I love them. I get up there as often as I can, usually once or twice a month (except some years, like this one, I take June off).

Steve

mcorsar said:
Seems like pretty predictable results-people overwhelmingly tend to hike closest to where they live.
Matt

I am a product of what mcorsar is saying. Last year was all basically Catskills and Kittatinny's since that was closest to home. Now its the Whites exclusively.

What a difference a year makes.

I'll take non-mountainous areas for $200 Alec ... well at least this year. Three sub-1000 foot highpoints in May and in August, I'll actually be visiting a cattle trough in Iowa and some dude's front yard in Illinois. :p