Pre. Aug 2008 Sigg Bottles had trace amounts of BPA

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder what's going to happen when people finally realize all their canned goods are in BPA-lined cans...is Campbell's going to have to offer free soup to everyone?

Interesting item in the Sunday Portland paper on this... In an article in the Outdoors section it indicates that Steven Reginold, outdoors gear reviewer for GearJunkie.com wrote "It was indeed a SIGG public relations team that prompted me to write my original anti-BPA story, with its competitor Nalgene as the scapegoat...". If true it's really an unfortunate turn of events.
:(

I refuse to let all these warnings of possible health problems associated with Nalgene, Sigg, or any other water bottle I choose to use drive me toward or away from whatever works for me. If I had an infant I might have gotten rid of baby bottles made of the stuff, but I kept my Nalgenes and use them daily. After a while all the warnings get old and I just get numb to it. Why doesn't it surprise me that another manufacturer was involved in "alerting" the public?!

Gaiagirl, I too am tempted to just become numb to it. It almost seems hype-ish and trendy to "care" about this sort of thing. And I am anti-trendy! The conundrum is that the problem is, as far as I can tell, very real. So, I am trying to at least research and make somewhat informed choices.

Human breastmilk, for instance, is full of stuff that isn't supposed to be there. Not just water bottles, but things like electronics, cars, gore-tex gear, etc, basically much of the stuff you come into contact with, gets into your bod. Milk is one thing, but imagine where else it's ending up. Blood? Skin? Various internal organs? Why would it stop with milk? How can we ignore this, as insurmountable as it seems?

As I understand it, the concern is real. I don't mean to sound preachy here. Mainly it's just kind of depressing and very real.

I found this story (below) is really interesting, enlightening, and, well, pretty concerning.
http://www.onpointradio.org/2009/07/chemicals-in-our-water

Ignorance is bliss

The real question, to me, is how much of this "poisoning" has been going on since way before we were here and what's the real risk? Lead in paint was there fir years. How about the tar used in waterproofing for centuries? I'm sure if they studied that there'd be all sorts of risks.

Bottom line for me... Everythig in moderation and read all the warnings with a grain of salt. The alternative is sitting in my basement afraid to go out into the sun (skin cancer:eek:) or heat my home (carbon issues:eek:) or drink the water (chemicals galore:eek:)

My point in mentioning the article was that it seems those that point out the bad in somethig often have somethig to gain by doing so. :(:( I see Patagonia and others equally guilty in making it a point to publicly place themselves on a pedestal above those not as wonderful...

Last edited:
The fact I know for sure.

The fact that isn't going to change in 10 or 20 years.

The fact that cannot be manipulated by the government statisticians or companies with a financial gain is that the highest percentage of death in the world is caused by:

wait for it.....

Birth. Birth is 100% fatal. :D:p

Incorrect. Birth cannot be implicated in the vast majority of death in the world, for which the only culprit is meiosis.

Last edited:
The reason I still have and use my old Pre-BPA craziness Nalgenes.

I figure whatever has leached out of my old Nalgenes have already leached out by now... :D

Jay

I figure whatever has leached out of my old Nalgenes have already leached out by now... :D
Not necessarily--they could release more BPA as they age. However, I do not know of any studies comparing new and old polycarbonate bottles.

Now if you had the real old (HDPE) Nagenes, you wouldn't have to worry since they don't contain any BPA. (BTW, the HDPE bottles are still available.)

Doug

Steven Reginold, outdoors gear reviewer for GearJunkie.com wrote "It was indeed a SIGG public relations team that prompted me to write my original anti-BPA story, with its competitor Nalgene as the scapegoat...". :(

I've lost track of all the crap flying around about this, the studies, all those reports , all those studies, all those experts, all that fear and anxiety, just because some companies PR team influence (rocks/shocks/bends/twists/distorts/ reality by scaring people unnecessarly) in the interest of profit.

So I should say it's about profit not reality?

I guess our reality is determined by our focus?

What should we be more upset with: BPS or BS PR teams?

I wonder what's going to happen when people finally realize all their canned goods are in BPA-lined cans...

It depends on: who has the most $ to make or who has the most $/lawyers to squash a big stink.

Then again if it's PC enough I could get quoted in print media and get interviews on TV. Then I'm all over it since my life is pathetic and I need to feel important no matter how stupid the cause is. :)

Last edited:
I think the jury is still out on BPA, but in general it makes sense to reduce your exposure to these things. But what's a shame is when companies or people start down the "holier than thou..." road, or conversely spread disinformation to try to discredit a legitimate concern.

Then again if it's PC enough I could get quoted in print media and get interviews on TV. Then I'm all over it since my life is pathetic and I need to feel important no matter how stupid the cause is. :)

Make something up and spout about it no matter the truthfulness. One of the major news sites will pick it up and you'll be famous. If/when someone proves you false just write a book about how you accept that you're incapable of telling the truth because of societal pressure.

Then you can retire and, with the book proceeds, buy all the latest and safest gear, hike all over the world and fall off some cliff in Eastern Blogolia. Your family will be able to live off the huge life insurance policy you were able to buy.