Presidential Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangergirl

Reaction score
We are looking to do the Presi Traverse in late February/early March. We want to do the summits including Madison, Jackson, and Webster. Is anyone up for doing this with us? We are toying with possibly doing it in a super long day if weather and conditions are perfect or breaking it up and spending the night up there. We have done the traverse a couple of times in the winter and did not hit all the summits due to horrific weather conditions. I have done the traverse hitting all summits in one long day in the summer and would love to hit them in the winter. Pm me if you are interested! :)
I am a moderate paced non competitive hiker, so I am not incredibly fast but not ridiculously slow either. I just like to have fun!

I'd join you guys, but not sure I could handle all the talk about plaque, bicuspids, etc. in the tent at night... :D

Butt seriously, I'll be attempting the Traverse with some AMC friends Feb 25-28, so maybe we'll see you on the trail! Assuming you'll be going N-S (starting at Appalachia)?

Hi,

The hike sounds like fun. Not sure if you have set a date yet but I'm running the Hyannis marathon 2/28 so I'll be gone that weekend. Please let me know what your plans are and hopefully I can join in. :)

John

Presis

How about Feb 21 Sunday?

I'm doing presentation on Saturday, so can only do a short day on that day. But I'm gaming for Sunday.

Lei

To clear up any confusion, this will be a one day attempt of the traverse, including all summits-Madison to Jackson and Webster.. Early start, late finish, light packs, lots of fun. Feb 27 will be the first planned attempt, weather permitting and March 13 will be the second attempt. A good forecast is important for doing this in a day, although if the weather looks kind of crappy for a one day I am not opposed to doing a 2 day in less than ideal conditions (as long as it's not life threatening weather!) We have done 2 traverses in whiteouts and high winds (less than 60mps would be nice).

I have a small group that is going to do a Traverse, the first good weekend day in March that presents itself. There will be 3-4 of us I'm guessing.

We prefer to do the traverse on a Saturday, but if Sunday's clearly a better day, that's what we'll do. We'll be staying in Gorham NH the night before the hike, so we can be on the trail early. If we hike on a Saturday, we'll motel it in Gorham the night after as well. Preferably a motel with a hot tub! =)

We'll start up Valley Way and head south. Not sure yet if we'll take in Jackson and Webster, or call it a day after Pierce. We'll make the call when we get to Pierce, depending on how we all feel.

I have done two prior Traverses (neither in winter) and in both cases have come in under "book" time. In winter, this winter, I'd be very happy to finish in "book" time, give or take a little. We'll probably confine ourselves to fairly brief stops on most of the summits, with a longer break (30 minutes or less) on Washington.

If it turns out that both our groups go on Saturday 3/13, we would be interested in at least starting out with your group. You might be faster than us, or we might be faster than you. We do not want to hold you back. But having a larger group would be nice. If we are compatible in terms of pace, it would be great to do the whole thing together. We could part ways on Pierce if we are not on the same page re. continuing over Jackson and Webster.

Whatever else happens, we will have our own vehicle spotted at Crawford Notch. We are planning on being self-sufficient w/regard to logistics. We are not asking you for any help, but only for the pleasure of your company, if the dates work out and the stars align themselves favorably. If not, then we wish you a safe and successful Winter Traverse!

Dangergirl

Very sorry to hear about your back problem.
My dog hiking friends and I really enjoy your trip reports. They even refer to me now as "Dangergranny"!
Wishing you a speedy recovery. You help motivate us older folks to "greater heights!" :D:cool::)
Get well soon!!!

What a roller coaster ride this week has been! I was told on Tuesday I had re-broken my back at L4 and L5 and would have to return in 2 weeks to see if I was better or needed surgery. He gave me a super tight back brace to wear. I was at the point of being in so much pain I could not sit, walk, or lay down without being in horrible pain. I was quickly getting depressed and would come home and cry for hours because of the pain. I found myself praying nonstop for health and getting pretty desperate. I called up my acupuncturist and got an appointment. This woman is a miracle worker! After her 45 minute needle treatment with electricity I was feeling pretty good! She applied an arnica cream to my lower back after treatment and hit a really sore spot and made the pain come back. She pushed around down there and worked a cyst up close to the skin. It was a small lump that felt like a marble. I felt it with my hand and was shocked! She told me to see my doctor asap.
I put my back brace back on. I was in shock because I walked into her office in the worst pain of my life and left feeling like I was a superhero! I sat in my car and felt a slight burn where the cyst was. I went home and tried to show Don the cyst and could not find it. I saw my primary physician the next day and she thought it was a ganglion cyst that burst under the skin giving me relief and told me to call my orthopedic doctor. In the meantime I decided to try an easy weight lifting session at the gym while wearing my brace and felt fine. I went for a 5 mile easy run the next day and was fine. This was a miracle!
I finally got a callback from my orthopedic doctor and he had consulted with neurologist and they determined it was muscle cyst and it was most likely pushing on my nerve and also causing muscle spasms. When it popped I was cured! He said it may come back but it is not a serious condition and they can be pushed on to remove the fluid or surgically removed if I am not on a camping trip when it returns! I was so happy!
He said that my x-rays of my back looked the same as they did 7 years ago and everything was stable but because I was in pain he just assumed it was the old fracture! Needless to say, I owe my acupuncturist so much! I feel like she gave me my life back! So, Denali is back on and so is the traverse attempt on March 13! So, if anyone wants to join us we are back on!
My perspective on life changed after this ordeal. I am going to cherish each day that I wake up and don't have any pain. I can't believe that I can feel so good after feeling so horrible!

We (two of us) are coming up from Delaware for the weekend of March 13,14. I was planning on getting Madison, Jefferson, and Adams if the weather cooperates, but would love to do the entire traverse. Our issue is transportation. Not sure if anyone would be willing to help us get back to the trail head on Rt2. Planning on an early start going up Valley Way on Saturday.

wow

This is a great example of how stepping outside the boundaries of "Western Medicine" can make all the difference in the world, and how there is no advocate for your own health better equipped and motivated than yourself.