question about Imp Campsite, Perkins Notch Shelter and Spruce Brook Campsite...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain

Reaction score
Hello again folks. Trying to gather as much info as I can before bringing my girlfriend on her first backpack this weekend. Planning on hitting the Moriah Brook trail around 2:00pm on friday and hoping to make it to the Imp campsite by 4:30-5:00...what are the chances the tent platforms will be full?? Is there an overflow area?? I have the same questions for the Perkins Notch and Spruce Brook shelters...are there tent platforms at Perkins?? Muchas Gracias.

That sounds similar to the reverse of the trip I did a few years ago. First of all, it will probably take you at least 4 hours to get from Wild River CG to Imp shelter, and the platforms may be filled by then. However, I believe there are overflow sites but don't know where they are. Perkins Notch has a shelter and places to pitch tents nearby, but no platforms. Spruce Brook has a nicer shelter and two platforms. All sites have outhouses.

It's quite possible that Imp will be full on a Saturday by 5:00. The caretaker will be able to direct you to overflow spots, but I'm not sure how far away they are.

I'd be surpised if Spruce or Perkins filled up, but I've never been there on a Saturday night. There are plenty of legal places to camp near Spurce, don't know about Perkins.

Imp Shelter

Spruce Brook

-dave-

Last edited:
excellent

Excellent...thanks gents!! I know my girlfriend will be pleased there are outhouses at each location...although, maybe not :eek: By the way, Dave I haven't it posted yet, but I can't thank you enough for the wealth of info your (and Mohammed's!!) site provides, I've been looking at it constantly today and yesterday (and regularly for a couple years), and it's made me a more educated hiker, and thus my hikes are much more enjoyable. Keep up the outstanding work!

Spruce Brook shelter has a couple of tent platforms up on the hillside, and in a pinch you could fit a tent or two in the flat area behind the shelter. Because of the slope, I think you'd have to go further in or out along the Wild River Trail to find more campsites. There's a composting privy there in fine condition. Filter your water right out of the river. I can't predict popularity; the Saturday night I spent there last August had 4 people in two tents, and me.

Perkins Notch shelter (picture here has a huge area for camping off to the right (when facing the shelter). You could fit probably a dozen tents back there and still be comfortable. See here and here . In July of 2002, the privy was just a pit toilet in somewhat sorry condition and many just went into the woods. Do note that not too far beyond the last tent area, you will come to the Wild River Trail, which has curved back on itself. Oops.

While you're there, do go back on the WR Trail from the left of the shelter, then watch for a small footpath on the left (west). Follow it and step carefully and you'll come out into an open area with views of Carter Dome and of Perkins Notch and No-Ketchum Pond .