Rain Gear - What really works

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AN Umbrella??? Actually I've done this a couple of times. Umbrellas work best on a wide trail. My first umbrella trip was up Waumbek, the first half of the trip I was loving life but about 1/2 way or so up Starr King the trail corridor gets narrow, Tipping the umbrella so it got between trees a couple of dozen times defeated any benefit I got from using the umbrella (It was a warm day I did not want to sweat in my G-Tex jacket,)

I think a lot depends on how long you stay out in the rain. I did my first real rainy-day hike on 10/24 - nothing long, just around the Ripley Falls/Frankenstein Cliff/Arethusa Falls area. Just had on fairly inexpensive rain pants I bought from Campmor, my LL Bean Crest Hiker boots, and my $99 basic EMS rain/wind jacket. We were out for about 4 hours, and my pants kept me dry until the last 20 minutes of the hike. The rain jacket mostly kept me dry from the rain, but it's not that breathable so it felt damp and clammy inside.

My point is, I don't think you need to spend a lot if you just want rain gear that will be used for an unexpected rainstorm, and you're going to spend a relatively short time in the rain. If you're planning to be out there all day, you'll probably be wet no matter what you buy.

By the way, my Cresta Hiker boots kept my feet completely dry...

Back in the 70s commercial fishermen and big boat sailers used what I recall to be "Black Diamond" foul weather gear. Black rubber coated canvas jacket (no hood), hat and Sou'wester hat. Each had a red diamond on it. Absolutely waterproof but didn't breathe worth a darn. I'm wondering if this is/was any relation to the modern Black Diamond gear?? Any old sailors out there??

Back in the 70s commercial fishermen and big boat sailers used what I recall to be "Black Diamond" foul weather gear. Black rubber coated canvas jacket (no hood), hat and Sou'wester hat. Each had a red diamond on it. Absolutely waterproof but didn't breathe worth a darn.
Also weighs a ton or two.

I'm wondering if this is/was any relation to the modern Black Diamond gear??
No.

Doug

Ha, ha. After I posted the above, I noticed the guy trying to keep from getting his stuff wet was wearing jeans! Oh, no!

The Pack hoody looks like a neat idea. I'll have to ask the first person I see with one how they like it. (hoping it will be in a couple of years knock, knock:D)