Rain, mountains, asparagus and mice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeping bear

Reaction score
Dr. Wu and I waited at the North Twin Trailhead for about a half an hour for MEB, Little Sister, Giggy and Woody. They didn’t show so we headed out. They were spotting a car and then planning to take a different route (starting at the same place) than us, so we were unsure if and how their plans had changed. Dr. Wu figured they would have called if they weren’t coming at all.

It was soggy right from the start, although for a while the rain was kind of nice. Dr. Wu managed to keep his feet dry on the stream crossing, I on the other hand… am not a big fan of slippery rocks so I though it would be WAY easier just to stomp right through the stream. I’m pretty sure the water came in over the top of my gaitors. :eek: Whoops.

“that farting/sucking sound is coming from my sloshy boots, I swear!”
:D
Once we were above treeline the wind really starting whipping, and the rain wasn’t nice anymore. On South Twin it was like, yeah, okay let’s go. From there on we were both pretty wet, and the wind was really cold. Just before we came out above the trees again on Guyot, I decided I had to put on another layer or I wasn’t going to make it to the campsite. My hands were so cold I could barely get my pack open. I put on another shirt and discovered that the t-shirt under my rain coat was totally soaked. Immediately after we had a short climb, which did well to warm us up. Going across Guyot we got just blasted by the wind, which we later estimated was probably about 40 mph, and some sort of solid-like precipitation. :eek:

We arrived at the Guyot shelter where the caretaker told us the shelter had a bunch of people in it already. We went over to check it out and sure enough, all bundled up in their sleeping bags on the bottom shelf was Woody, Giggy, Little Sister and MEB.

“Whoa, what’s up guys!” Let the slumber party begin! :D

I think it was 2 pm when we were warm, dry and sitting in our bags staring out the door at the mist and rain. “so, what do you guys want to do?”

Let’s see, I think things started off with talk about Dr. Wu being able to defend himself in the night with his hiking poles, his “parachute” sleeping bag, we watched MEB make a rain coat out of a trash bag, laughed out a$$es off while her and Little Sister argued about finding stuff in their sleeping bags, talked about mice, and spent a long time discussing the “ins and outs” of some holes in the floor of the shelf above us. I also learned that most everybody really likes asparagus.

Giggy decided he hadn’t been wet and cold enough for one day, and that he needed to go hike to West Bond. He’s going to begin working on the 43. W. Bond in the rain counts.

When he came back we all cooked dinner. I think every one of us brought our own stove, it’s amazing we didn’t set the shelter on fire. :rolleyes: MEB’s stove didn’t work and she accused Little Sister of breaking it when she fell earlier. Fortunately, I was able to fix it for them by turning the valve the correct way.

Did I mention there was a boy scout troop on the upper level of the platform? Yeah, I don’t think they could hear our conversations, which was really a good thing. They did manage to drop a lot of trash down from up there though.

Somehow, between the laughter and the snoring we all got to sleep.

“I think a mouse pooped in my mouth last night because my breath stinks!” was one of the first things I heard Sunday morning. That pretty much got the ball rolling…

After breakfast we were off. We dropped our packs and headed over to West Bond. On the way over we found bear tracks. Apparently the AMC lies, as they say bears don’t go that high. Uh huh.

“look, the sun is coming out”
“just another half hour and this will all burn off”
“another hour and this will burn off”
“look, the fog is burning off”
“if we wait another hour, this will all burn off”
“I think it’s starting to clear up”

Suuure…. The clouds kept teasing us.

We got peeks of the Pemi and West Bond from Bondcliff. The rocks were super slick out to the standard photo spot, which was pretty freaky. Little Sister later confided that she was really worried that if one of us fell, the rescue effort would delay getting to eat pizza. Good thing nobody fell of the cliff. :eek: :D

Led by MEB and Little Sister, we flew down to the Wilderness Trail and out to Lincoln Woods at mach speeds. Seriously, we did the last 3 miles in 45 minutes. Insanity.

This was a fantastic trip, even with the rain, wind and cold. In fact, I can’t think of any better way to spend a soggy weekend.

Some photos are here.

sleeping bear said:
“I think a mouse pooped in my mouth last night because my breath stinks!” was one of the first things I heard Sunday morning. That pretty much got the ball rolling…

I give your party major props for producing this comment, and further props to you for including it in the TR. I am however disappointed that it was not used in diss form (for example MEB could say to LS "dude your breath smells so horrible i suspect a mouse pooped in your mouf last night"). Please rectify this situation next time. :D

WHAT?!?! I could have done the Bonds this weekend and been DONE?!
OH, I guess you will all have to do them again, but in good weather.
Sorry! ;)

thanks for the chuckle :D from the sounds of it the rain didn't damper your spirits.
kmac

ha ha - this was a really fun trip - just had to make the best of it. Woody, MEB, Little Sister and I came up thru Zealand instead of Twins. Someone made that call in the AM and I just followed. This was a "keep moving" type of weekend. It was very very wet and pretty cold when stopped - we al;so got pelted with sleet on the guyot summit. Everything was soaked - boots, jackets, gaiters, - impossible to stay dry on days like this. :eek: :eek: :eek: In all honesty, the great sense of humor kept it going and kept the "spirits" up.

fun stuff - nobody complained or whined which was great.

Awesome trip report Lindsay! You really captured the essence of all the fun and laughs.....my sides are still hurting from laughing so hard! Thanks Dr Wu for providing such great entertainment and I'm seriously going to consider the surgery you suggested :D :D I'm sooo glad I decided to go on this trip dispite the dismal forecast....I guess hiking in the rain isn't that bad after all :) Thanks everyone for a super fun weekend!

Here are a few more pics from the trip www.webshots.com/user/mbaross

-MEB

What else could be better than a great hike in hypothermic rain (which I love, honestly!) with Lindsay (whom I'll miss dearly) and then arriving at the Guyot Shelter only to find your buds (Giggy, MEB, Little Sister, Woody 48) with enough room for the two of us and a lifetime supply of dirty-talk in their pockets, and spending a blissful evening sewer-talking about everything including our love of asparagus pee, disgusting holes in the wall, horrific butcher surgeries, and a great American folk hero and then hiking out with said group over the Bonds the following day!? I think nothing! Really, I can't think of a better way to spend any weekend, let alone a rainy one than this way. I got soaked, froze, sprained my ankle again, got laughed at for sleeping in 45 degree weather in a "parachute", made faces at MEB when nobody was looking, had to put on cold, soaking wet clothes in the am, and engaged in some of the funniest, belly-shaking rip-roaring nasty gutter-poo conversation I ever had.

Seriously: This was the greatest weekend I've had in a long time -- incredibly memorable. Giggy, Lindsay, Mary Ellen, Rachel and Woody, this was a fun time, I loved every minute of it. Seemed like everyone had a great time, the rain almost seemed to make it more fun! You guys are really great and a total gas to hang out with. I hope we all get to do it again soon!

Pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/album/551080642CrQzPN

-Dr. Wu

We were wondering about you all while on Bondcliff- and whether you all got up there to enjoy the fine White Mountain weather as well.........we passed a couple of groups that were traversing over to Guyot the night you were there

The Best!

sleeping bear said:
Honestly, I can't think of a backpacking trip that was more fun.
I'll second that, without hesitation. Thanks guys...

-Dr. Wu

I think I work too much. On the second page of comments before I even get a chance to check in! :eek:
What a great trip! I bet the boy scouts that stayed on the top shelf of the shelter had some stories to tell each other while hiking on Sunday. "Did you hear what she said about the mouse poop?" "What were those holes they were talking about?" They were so quiet, maybe they were asleep the hole time. :p
I had a really fun time on this hike. We only had views that were close by. Lindsey was pointing out bear tracks and all kinds of flowers. The weather certainly didn't dampen any spirits! I hope I get the chance to hike with all of you again real soon. Thanks for the great company. Here are my pictures.