Rainier update from the VFTT crew!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Wonderland Trail which I'd love to do is over a hundred miles long. It circles the mountain and I have the guidebook. There are several days where 8k ascent are required.

i12climbup said:
Dang, that IS huge! Cool! And quite a good way of understanding just how big that mountain is. Thanks, AntlerPeak ......

Now, can we find a White Mountain Map in the same scale and try it there as well? :D :D

Yeah I'd bet the result would be quite eye opening. What is interesting is the thing can look so innocent. Our first hike, Antler Peak at 7012 feet an air mile away gave us an incredible view of it. The mountain looked like a walkup. My buddy commented on how easy it looked. I asked him "what does your altimeter say right now?" He smiled, looked again and said "wow"

AntlerPeak said:
If you lay the Rainier map over the High Peaks, Rainier takes up the space from Ampersand Mt down to Newcomb Lake, across to Boreas Mt and up to near Giant.

When I climbed Tolmie last fall and stared at Rainier it was with an even greater admiration. Man it is huge.

If you think Ranier is huge you should see Denali! :eek:

I feel fortunate to have Rainier NP to play in, only an hour or two away. Other mountains may be higher, but Rainier is unique. I've completed about half of the Wonderland Trail, so if any VFTTers want to organize a Wonderland Trip, I'd love to help out and join in!

It was interesting driving to work this morning, looking up at the Mountain and knowing that my new VFTT friends were up there "somewhere". I look forward to seeing the final reports of the trip!

LindaLu said:
I've completed about half of the Wonderland Trail, so if any VFTTers want to organize a Wonderland Trip, I'd love to help out and join in!

LindaLu, I might be in touch... I've been tossing around the idea of doing the Wonderland Trail next year. No decisions yet... but if I pick that for my vacation plan, I'll definitely start bugging you for info!

- Ivy

I'm sure they will have a great time even if they don't reach the summit. The mountain is just fun to be on. It is so big! Breathing and rest-stepping are the keys to the climb. Of course, good glacier travel skills also help.

Great pics Linda!...Guess I'll be doing a lot of dreaming today and how to quit my job for next summer...wonder if the mortgage company will understand? :rolleyes:

KZKlimber said:
Planning for the 2006 VFTT Ranier expedition (unguided) is underway for next June. Can't wait for the 2005 trip report!

Sounds like they are doing the Disappointment Cleaver (DC) route from Camp Muir, next June we plan to attempt the Emmons/Winthrop Route from Camp Schurman.

KZ, assuming my knees hold up this winter, mark me down.

WOW!!!!! Let them know we're praying that make it safely. That is one amazing pic of that mountain. I'm envious but I would be scared to death to hike that. It looks very intimidating.

Mark said:
Any updates from the VFTT team?

So far, no word from the VFTT crew. I have my cell phone at my hip, and won't let it out of earshot, so hopefully we'll get word today.

ADK4Life said:
If anyone is interested in a Liberty Ridge ascent for next year let me know.

I may be interested and have a climbing partner who definitely wants to do it. We both lead NEI 4 and have climbed NEI 5. Have you done the route before? I was thinking of doing Emmons/Winthrop my first trip and perhaps Liberty Ridge on a subsequent trip. I could be persuaded with the right rope team.