Recent conditions on Monadnock?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocksnrolls

Reaction score
Phillipston, MA - Avatar: bushwacking off the top
I'm planning to head over to Mt Monadnock tomorrow but have not seen any info on VFTT about recent conditions. My guess is that I can make do with microspikes and carry crampons in case the bare summit is iced up. Does anyone think I will need snowshoes yet?

Also, is the Halfway House parking open? If not, I plan to hike from the Marlboro Trailhead. I'd most like to see the Fairy Spring Tr. as it's one of my favorite trails on Monadnock and I have not yet seen it in winter. So I'll hook over on the Marian and Mossy Brook Trails if I have to use the Marlboro for my start.

This will be my fourth winter hike on Monadnock and I look forward to a great start to the winter hiking season :D

It's probably snowing there right now, so who knows? But I would think much of the snow would be blown off and you would do fine with MicroSpikes. We went up Dublin Trail recently and there were considerable frozen water "flows" on the trail.

Sorry, haven't been up Monadnock recently, but the rain on the 12th-13th was followed by a fast freeze and created lots of ice. I was on S. Pack today and there was about 4"-5" of snow over lots of ice patches and flows. I wore the "mil-specs" that are identical to the Hillsound trail crampons and had no issues, but I did have to plant them firmly at times.

Another inch or two of snow has fallen at my house since my walk, and the wind has been blowing fairly hard.

Wish I could join you, but my wife has a nasty cold.

Lots of ice through the middle sections and low areas last Saturday. We were all over the mtn and conditions pretty much the same everywhere. We used micros almost all day. Some folks were barebooting but not recommended. Not much snow, just enough to cover any ice. Expect a few inches from the past few days but not worthy of snowshoes. Lots of photos of trail conditions from our Saturday hike here. Judge for yourself. Compliments of VFTT member hardyb.

http://monadnockvista.smugmug.com/H...ay-Hike-12-18/15120933_EWUnH#1130428882_Nc2xz

Kerry - Looks like that was a fun trip on a beautiful day. Strange about the MicroSpike!

Kerry - Looks like that was a fun trip on a beautiful day. Strange about the MicroSpike!

Yes Ellen that microspike episode was strange. I think hardyb had a better chance of hitting the lottery. Seen plenty of folks catch crampons on gaiters, but never anything like this. The eyelet on the boot and the diameter of the microspike link were nearly identical. One would have a difficult time placing a straight piece of wire through that eyelet, never mind one that appeared to be nearly totally closed. We had to use a multi-tool pliers to open the link in order to get the two separated. Hardyb had one heck of a surprise when the two caught, lucky he didn't get hurt.

That was a good hike, good crew. Was our second annual holiday hike and luncheon for our crew, M staff and volunteers. Good way to end the year.

Monadnock

I was up there this afternoon (12/25). Microspikes is the word. With those, no problem, a delightful trip up the halfway house road etc. Without microspikes (or full crampons, an overkill), lots of detours around the ice.
Enjoy!
John

Not necessarily. When the link was under tension, it could have opened the gap sufficiently that the eyelet could pass through. When it was examined later, the link wasn't under tension and the gap was closed.

Doug

There is very little tension on the link when it is attached to the rubber harness, if there was enough tension to open up the link it would have ripped the rubber. The link was still attached to the rubber when it was caught on the boot, the photo was taken after it was removed. It took a fair amount of force with the multi-tool to bend the link in order to remove it. I don't care what anyone says, it was very strange, like Kerry said I would have a better chance of hitting the lottery.

I am wondering if anyone has updates since the snowstorm. Did they get much snow up in the Monadnock area? I am thinking of hiking Pumpelly tomorrow, and I am curious what conditions to expect.

On another note, does anyone know if there are issues with street parking in the winter for Pumpelly? I've never done it this time of year, and would prefer not to get back to find my truck towed!

12" or so of snow 8 miles away from the mountain. Very windy last night and today so there will be drifts. I may be in Dublin tonight and will check out the parking if I can as I'm not sure if the town pushes the snow banks in for parking. Please don't block a locals drive or park in one of their spots.

The state park web site does say: During winter, Monadnock Headquarters at the base of the White Dot Trail is the only trailhead plowed and maintained.

Please don't block a locals drive or park in one of their spots.

I appreciate the input, and I'd never block someone in! I'll probably drive over, and if there isn't clear room for parking at trailhead without blocking the street I'll just head over to the main park entrence. I'm just hoping I can do Pumpelly, but one of the main trails up would be an acceptable alternative.

Monadnock Condition 12/27/10

Hiked the white Dot up and down starting at 11:30 today, I estimate around 8 -10 inches at base, but once you get just above the half way point (First View) the conditions change dramatically. Any low areas are completely filled in with drifts, 2- 3 ft generally with some as deep at 4-5 feet. I used MSR’s for the entire hike, a little tough going with snow shoes above tree line where snow is completely blow off, but they were extremely helpful in all other areas. There is still some hidden ice under the snow that took me by surprise on my decent. The conditions at the summit were cold and windy but not as bad as I had expected. Temps were around 5 degrees with winds averaging 35 mph with gusts up to 50 mph, wind chill was –22 with the gust. Wind was right in your face nearing the summit; full winter gear was a necessity. My tracks were pretty much filled in on my descent. I would imagine that the drifting will continue tonight. If your doing the Pumpelly ridge tomorrow be prepared for bare rocks and deep drifts.

On lake road shortly after turning off of Route 101, there is a plowed pull off on the left side of the road. If you park there, the Pumpelly trail head is .4 of a mile up the road on the left. No other obvious pull offs that I could see in the dark.

Have fun!

On lake road shortly after turning off of Route 101, there is a plowed pull off on the left side of the road. If you park there, the Pumpelly trail head is .4 of a mile up the road on the left. No other obvious pull offs that I could see in the dark.

Have fun!

Thanks for all the input. I ended up parking at the park headquarters and hiking up white dot to cascade to red spot to pumpelly. It was a gorgeous day, but the wind at the ridge was intense. I was actually blown over about 100 feet from the summit. Conditions are still as described - about a foot at lower elevations, hollows with deep drifts and lots of bare rock near the summit. There was a fair amount of ice under the snow heading up red spot.

I really appreciate all the input - it helped shape a fantastic day.