Recommendations for cheap poles

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaiagirl

Reaction score
I bought a pair of cheap snowshoeing poles a couple of weeks ago from LLBean and completely destroyed them doing Owl's head last weekend. I paid very little for them and felt I should have known better than to try to get away with them for the type of hiking I'm doing, so no big deal there. Just a few days ago, I went to EMS and bought their Mountaineer poles, for a decent chunk of change in my opinon, and, while I didn't destroy them completely, I was pretty unhappy with my results while doing Isolation Thursday. One tip is bent and they simply didn't stay locked into place for a good portion of the hike. I returned them, but now I have no poles and I really find them indispensible :(.

NH_Mtn_Hiker told me he got his very inexpensive poles a couple of years ago at Target that he still uses and likes, but I called and they seem to only carry them in summer and fall. Does anyone have any ideas about where I can buy cheap poles? Or perhaps some of you might want to convince me why I should buy something more expensive than what I had that will just really fit the bill for me. I think I might just be as hard on gear as I am on myself (I beat on myself pretty good out there on the trails a lot of the time and have the bruises to prove it!!! LOL); I've used my stabilicers twice so far and MOST of the screws are already missing! :( I returned those too, only they didn't have any on hand to replace them. I feel so naked without my gear :eek: !!!
Another point about the poles: I was used to my old cross-country ski poles which I used from late last winter through to just a few weeks ago when I finally threw them away because the tips were just LONG gone. Maybe I am used to a much stronger shaft and am therefore putting more strain on poles than I should be. Should I go with another cross-country ski pole for winter hiking at least because of this?
Thanks for any advice anyone might have on this :),

You want cheap poles, and then complain when the darn things don't hold up. Maybe cheap poles end up being too expensive in the long run, and you would save some money buying more expensive poles.

What's cheap anyway? What's cheap to me might be costly to someone else.

I want cheap ones because I went and spent a lot of money at EMS after I killed the really cheap ones, only to find that the quite expensive EMS Mountaineers seemed little improvement. Maybe it is me, and I am hard on gear, in which case, I am thinking I might prefer to spend 15 bucks than 89!!!!! What I'm saying is I'd love to find something not too expensive that might live beyond one hike .... and if anyone has any suggestions toward that aim, I'd be grateful.

I have some of the cheaper ones and also some expensive ones, and while I do like the expensive ones more (they're carbon and not aluminum), both have served me well and are going strong. I use the cheap ones as spares that I lend to others who do not have them, like all my spare equipment.

How is it you can kill 2 sets in such a short amount of time. If you bent the bottom spikes, then it sounds like you were using them improperly. Anything will bend if you shove it into a hole and torque it. The mud is a particular problem, as is certain snow, but all it takes is a different hiking style. Knowing this is key, but the more expensive poles do have a more flexible lower section designed to minimize this problem. As to the locking mechanism, I have found they need to be tight, if they aren't, then they'll move.

Hiking with ski poles would be OK, especially if you're used to it, but you won't be able to adjust them. I adjust mine for the terrain, whether I'm going up or down, and they work well.

I have abused mine to no end, but have never managed to kill them.

Last edited:
I have a pair of cheap imports that I bought at a large store whose name will only draw jeers and catcalls if mentioned here. They have worked very well for me. The locking mechanism hasn't loosened in use. Both have been been bent but only under unusual stress. I've been able to bend them back straight so that they can still be collapsed. They do have an anti-shock spring (pros and cons are another discussion), carbide tips with a set of rubbber covers and a small compass on the grip. $9.75 each. Highly recommended. Try 'em.

teejay

Sierra Trading Post always has good prices on Komperdell poles and accessories: URL=http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/dept_id.L2~314/qx/prod_list_display.htm]Sierra Trading Post[/URL]

I've had good success with Komperdells. Love the foam grips and light weight. The paint wears off and they do get banged up, but they still work fine. Never busted one.
Regards,
Marty

"Cheap Poles"

OK! I'll say it--"Wal*Mart" They sell inexpensive poles in the camping dept. About $10-if that's what you want.

teejay said:
I have a pair of cheap imports that I bought at a large store whose name will only draw jeers and catcalls if mentioned here. They have worked very well for me. The locking mechanism hasn't loosened in use. Both have been been bent but only under unusual stress. I've been able to bend them back straight so that they can still be collapsed. They do have an anti-shock spring (pros and cons are another discussion), carbide tips with a set of rubbber covers and a small compass on the grip. $9.75 each. Highly recommended. Try 'em.

teejay

I have a pair of the same ones mentioned. I too have been pretty pleased with them. I dont use them too often in the summer as there are times when I like them and there are times poles feel cumbersome. But they have been scratched, dropped, twisred and beaten on and still are in good shape. Last I checked the local store didnt have any more in stock, but who knows about the Wallyworld near you (oops, there is that bad name :D .)

Brian

P.S. Oh yeah, the brand is Swissgear. Forgot to mention that above.

Thank you all for the advice and information. My hikes lately have been challenging with regards to mud, ice, crossings, and avoiding blowdowns and bushwhack-iness and perhaps this is the biggest problem. I am also quite willing to say that I may be putting too much strain on them because I am used to the old 1 section ski poles. But I also must say that the ones that cost me a chunk of change at EMS were slipping from their locked position from the very beginning of the hike and I had bought them just 2 days beforehand. I think cheap is probably the way to go for me for now. I am not crazy about that big box store, but I might just stop in and see if they have any in stock today. I have the day off tomorrow, and I am hiking somewhere, and I've come to depend upon my poles, so replacing asap is a must.
Thanks again everyone ;)

2 sticks. slide your hands up or down the stick dependin' on which way yer headin! :D :D :D :D :D

gaiagirl said:
Just a few days ago, I went to EMS and bought their Mountaineer poles, for a decent chunk of change in my opinon, and, while I didn't destroy them completely, I was pretty unhappy with my results while doing Isolation Thursday. One tip is bent and they simply didn't stay locked into place for a good portion of the hike. I returned them, but now I have no poles and I really find them indispensible :(.

wow! what are you doing to these poles?!!!!! What bent on the ems poles, the last section? i've had a pair of these for 3 years and have beat them to hell in over many miles in the summer, fall and winter for hiking, snowshoeing and a few times skiing and although very, very scratched up, they function fine:) maybe you got a bad pair? I've seen these bend and arch to a rediculous degree with no ill effects.

A superlightweight friend of mine from oregon has these weightless poles that are sweeeet for out west on the PCT etc but would get mangled and torn to shreads in the whites as they are not strong enough.

maybe you are just too hard on your poles? could you rebuild your old poles or modify another ski pole? remember, you usually get what you pay for

Last edited:
gaiagirl said:
My hikes lately have been challenging with regards to mud, ice, crossings, and avoiding blowdowns and bushwhack-iness and perhaps this is the biggest problem. I am also quite willing to say that I may be putting too much strain on them because I am used to the old 1 section ski poles. But I also must say that the ones that cost me a chunk of change at EMS were slipping from their locked position from the very beginning of the hike and I had bought them just 2 days beforehand.
A touch of silicone grease on the threads of the tightening mechanism works wonders with the locking mechanism. (Don't get any on the outside of the expansion nut or inside of the tubing.) Cleaning the insides of the tubing can help too, particularly if you have been sticking the poles into water or mud.

I have used 2 and 3 section ski and hiking poles for years with very little trouble and often put a significant amount of weight on them.

One mechanism for breaking a pole is to wedge the tip/shaft in a crevice or behind a rock or piece of wood and pushing the handle forward. I have develped a reflex that whenever the tip/shaft gets caught, I pull up quickly to disengage it rather than break it.

I remove the baskets for summer use--they tend to catch in underbrush.

You also mentioned tip wear--some poles come with replacable carbide tips. Still on my first set of tips...

Doug

Check out your local dump/recycling center's "swap shop" freebie area for downhill ski poles that are long enough for you to use as x-c poles. Amazing how often downhillers upgrade otherwise perfectly good gear. Downhill poles are virtually bombproof although they don't, of course, telescope, which is partly why they are bombproof. No, the sabre grip isn't quite right but it works fine and you "adjust" them for hill-hiking by holding them lower down but you never have to worry about big bucks wasted if you lose them. There's usually a nice variety at the Franconia dump, er, Tri-Town Recycling Center on Rt 116. PM for hours & directions.

Last edited:
Cheap VS expensive debate

I tend to try and buy more expensive things from reputable companies and stores that stand behind their products. Sure the more expensive ones might not show much difference, but many of the good outdoor companies have lifetime warrenties or maybe the store will help you out more. That's something you won't get from Walmart or someone similar.

Reactions: dms
hey gaigirl - I saw some this past weekend that looked pretty decent in decathalon sports. 35 bucks for the pair - I might get some myself actually for another pair to have.

they were the "store brand" quaser or something like that - I say buy cheap when you can - last mont I paid 99 cents for the "OLD NAVY" wicking shirt they have now - (For running) and ya know what - it works pretty damn good.

teejay said:

teejay

And Wallymart has a decent return policy, just like the expensive stores.

speaking of return policies, LL Bean will replace your busted equipment if you ask them.

I have ems poles and I've beat them up pretty good. When I get a bend in it I'll just smack it across a good sized tree to straighten it out.