red bull energy drink

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For caffeine on a hike, I prefer putting unsweetened ice tea in my water bottles. As Darren points out, it's better to get your caffeine in steady doses than a big dose all at once.

In the winter, I can start out with brewed hot tea. In the summer, I can take along bags and let them cold brew overnight or just leave a bag in the bottle all day.

BTW: Phantom Gourmet did a taste test and rated Sobe's Adrenaline Rush well over Red Bull for taste.

http://www.phantomgourmet.com/showpage.aspx?content=TopOfTheFoodChainDetail&Id=98

I followed the Link Pilgrim. Those caffeine levels are less than I thought all lower than you'd get in a 16oz coffee (medium size or "grande" at starbucks).

So when is someone going to come up with a slow drip caffeine IV that is safe for hiking??

the only times i drink red bull is at a club or bar mixed with vodka (liquid coke is the local name) this works GREAT if i need lots of quick energy (with a great side effect of drunkedness!)

as a few others mentioned; and i think there's been a few threads in the past, caffine works best if consumed slowly over time rather than all at once. i drive a lot of long distances ranging from 4 or 5 hours to the whites to 28 hours or so to the florida keys and i have found sipping coffee is far more effective than chugging it quickly and it reduces a crashing later as the drug wears off.

hiking i don't drink coffee but have found snicker bars, cliffbars and other similiar snacks to be enough to give me a boost when needed. i say experiment with different foods, drinks, drugs til you find what works best for you.

the starchild said:
the only times i drink red bull is at a club or bar mixed with vodka (liquid coke is the local name) this works GREAT if i need lots of quick energy (with a great side effect of drunkedness!)

OH, great!! A hyped up, wide-awake drunk!! :D :eek: :D

I tried them a few times but they did nothing for me. Even on the way home I'll consume 2-3 cups of iced coffee and still have to stop 2/3 of the way to take a nap. Then again, it may have something to do with getting 3 hours of sleep, driving 3+ hours, hiking for 10-12 hours, then driving home 3+ hours again.

I'll have to try the SoBe, sounds like a winner!

How About Powergel?

A freind of mine suggested that I carry a couple packets of Powergel in my pack. She said she uses it toward the end of the day when her energy levels start to drop off (knowing her, that is an impossibility).

I took her advice and always carry several packs. Everytime I have used them, I have noticed a noticeable kick that lasted about an hour. I like the ones containing caffeine. The amounts of caffeine in the packages is a lot less than your typical cup of joe. The caffeine is supposed to help with metabolizing body fat. I don't know about that but I do know the stuff works for me.

The downside is that they are so damned expensive.

power beans?

What about those Jelly Belly Sports Beans, anybody tried em?

I bought a pack at EMS today, probably give them a whirl tomorrow. They aren't caffiene, but eloctolytes. The package says it gives you energy but aren't electrolytes what're in gatorade and other sports drinks. I thought elecrolytes helped your body absord the water, not give you more energy. I'm confused.

What about if you start eating/drinking this stuff too soon, are you going to crash big time if you don't keep it up?

Got chocolate milk??

Some may find this article of interest. It seems chocoloate milk is actually more effective (for recovery purposes, anyway) than the standard gatorade class of drinks. I guess it won't give the quick jolt that you might get from RedBull but it may be usefull for longer trips.

Chas.

Last edited:
Boost from Bull

I use it for a boost on stage (Im a perrforming artist) to keep my energy level up.
Perhaps a Nalgene bottle with a couple cans or Bull diluted with water could be your bottle of choice when your well into the hike.
I use Accelerade (Lance's choice) on the climb, never just water.
I pre hydrate just prior to the trailhead with a quart of Gatorade (Buy the powder at BJ's its a lot cheaper and lighter to travel with)
I find I really crave plain water after the climb and all the booster drinks we injest.
Back to NCAA'S

re: red bull

i'll put in a vote for the "GU" products...a gelatinous sugar shot -available with and without caffeine-- in a low weight little bundle. i carry two for low energy emergency purposes. and they dont go freeze or go bad! the same two have been in my pack since last august! the taste and texture is a bit suspect but no worse than red bull, powerbars, gatorade, etc. :p

These drinks are magic.

I think Red Bull tastes disgusting (Hamtero likes it) so I drink Amp, the mountain dew lemon-lime version. Pretty tasty. there are a few other similar drinks in different flavors. I can't tolerate Gu or Powergel, but the drink is fine. I put it in a small platypus container and "flatten" it a little - if it gets really cold in the can, it will turn to slush when you crack the can open.

Try Monster Drink

The MONSTER brand energy drink is the same price, but twice as big.

The MONSTER drinks come in regular and "lo-carb" aka sugar free. I like these drinks much better because of the nutritional content. There are many vitamins ect in the drink.

I usually mix a can of lo-carb monster drink in a nalgene and then back-fill it with gatorade. It tastes great and spreads out the consumption of caffine.

The ubiquitous SherpaK is an infamous Mountain Dew guzzler, that stuff is full o caffeine! I say e-YUK! But the old man of the mountain drinks it right on down like cold spring water, hmmm it is called "Mtn Dew...." I guess it has a sort of McGilicuddy (sp?) thing going on. ;) Me just wants coffee first, then cold clear water, then when that gets old a little Gatorade - fresh melon flavah preferrably, but lemon-lime or old blue will do! :D

red bull

me likey! waybetter than a bivy ! airport mouse is sticky.
save it for when the chips are down.