Repairing Gaiters After Crampon Run-In?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacknblue

Reaction score
I really hope I'm not the only one who occasionally sticks his/her crampon through his/her gaiters. I put a really good hole in my gaiters on Saturday after stumbling on an exposed root. It wasn't the first time, but it got me thinking how others mend their gaiters. Seeing as how they are supposed to prevent stuff like mud and snow and water from getting to my socks and boots, a hole seems detrimental.

Other than careful sewing and duct tape, does anybody have any proven methods for repairing gaiters?

You know those protective plates that some baseball players wear on the inside of their ankles? I think those would work well for crampon-hole prevention, no?

blacknblue said:
Other than careful sewing and duct tape, does anybody have any proven methods for repairing gaiters?
Tape in the field, sew when you get back home. Ripstop tape might be preferable to duct tape because duct tape leaves a sticky residue that can clog needles etc. The ripstop can simply be sewn into the final patch.

You know those protective plates that some baseball players wear on the inside of their ankles? I think those would work well for crampon-hole prevention, no?
Cordura and ballistic nylon are more practical...

LIght-weight fabrics will keep snow out, but not crampon points.

Other tips:
* when you sharpen your crampons, dull the points just a tiny bit (as sharp as a ballpoint pen is fine for non-technical use) and deburr them. The tiny burrs are very good at catching onto cloth...
* Learn to twist your ankle outward and swing your foot a bit wider when wearing crampons. (I know, hard to to when you trip...)
* If you are using 12 pt crampons for hiking, consider 10 pt crampons
* If you are using 12 pt crampons for hiking, leave the front pts fairly dull.

Doug

I put a hole, my gators and gtx pants last time out, not the conventional way, but steped up on a high lip and then caught my lower leg as it followed on the side of the uphill crampon. duhhh!

Iron on patches seem to work well enough. Duct tape to make a quick fix. Don't have to dull all points, just the front inside ones most likely to catch.

I've used a Goretex repair kit. You can iron them on. It seems to be doing the job. I also covered the area with duct tape.

I agree with doug. I permanent fix is better than the mess of duct tape (on clothes at least).

A bunch of sites sell repair kits that contain cordura patches that would be optimal. Simply froogle "cordura repair" and it should yield some options.

Here's a thread from another site that deals with the same problem. Seems like most of the answers come from the "get better gaiters" perspective with some options there.

Learning to walk safely is a huge part though, as Doug alludes. Not even Carhartts and heavy cordura gaiters can stop a well(or poorly I guess?)-placed crampon point from saying hi to your lower calf. Been there. Hurts.

dreamstream said:
Iron on patches seem to work well enough.

I agree. My right gaiter has quite a few battle scars. Most have received iron-on patches, inside and outside. The repair works great! I use a matching color on the outside to keep the fashion police away. :D

Earl

Last edited:
This stuff is expensive but awesome. I find it last about a season on heavily used gaiters and a few seasons on most clothing items. It does not leave the same residu as duck/duct tape.

Tenacious Tape

You can buy a yard of 1000d Cordura at a canvas shop for $15-20, and then use it to make crampons bags, place a large crampon-proof patch inside your gaitors, etc. Even though it looks (and is) incredibly tough, a regular sewing machine with a new needle can be used to sew it.

If you have an opportunity to see a pair of OR Expedition gaitors, look at the inside leg panel - if you're handy with a sewing machine (or have access to someone who is) you can turn your standard OR's into Expedition quality by using a razor to open a few seams, cutting an appropriate size Cordura path, and re-sewing the seams. You're still be stuck with the rips/tears, but now they'll be on the inside of the gaitor, and they can be held in place by any of the tapes mentioned above (including duct tape, but you'll have to replace it a few times a year).

I'll second that solution, the goretex I've found isn't really worth it, even on the uppers, you can always uncinch the tops to cool down if conditions are ok. Cordura is cheap, and easy to sew up @ home. I know a guy who has sewn 2" seatbelt webbing over the insteps, but that always seemed a little excessive to me. Good luck!

Seam Grip

If you need a patch, sew on a nylon or cordura patch by hand. If you dont', you can just sew the 2 edges of the slash together. Cover the thread of your sewing in seal grip or seam sealer. Wait overnight...presto.

Seam Grip too

I sew my abrasion holes and tears with dental floss and then add a thin coating of seam grip. I place it on top of wax paper and cover with wax paper on the top. Then I put a weight (brick) on top of it to keep the whole thing flat. Leave it overnight and pull away the wax paper. Looks smooth and flat but white/grey in color. Not aesthetic but a good water tight abrasion resistant seam. Of course it starts to look like crap when you have about 6 or 8 of these patches on each gaiter.

Idea - free to any takers

Someone should design a zip-out section of the gaiter that can be replaced when it gets ripped. The replacement sections can be ordered as needed. Convertible cars have done this with their plastic rear windows for many years.

Have your dad fix them...

My gaitors were ABSOLUTELY DESTROYED, they completely fell apart.

I did what I always do when something breaks or needs fixing, my #1 solution, I gave them to my dad, and now they are as good as new.

I thought it was soooo nice of me to LET him fix them for me :) that's why daughters are so great, we try to unselfishly help our dad's out whenever possible.

he should start a business, gaitors can be expensive!!!!!

p.s. oh yeah, I have no idea what he did to them, you can't even tell that they ever had a repair or ever needed a repair.

Last edited:
self adhesive

Howdy!

I feel yo' pain bruthuh.

Try a self adhesive Gore-Tex repair kit. Cut two circles (shape is very important) large enough to cover the hole. One circle goes inside, one goes outside. Once they're stuck on, burnish well with the round part of a tablespoon or the butt of your swiss army knife. Goober on some Seam Grip around the rim of each patch, making sure to span across the lip to fully close the gap. Let dry. Done.

Hope it helps.

Later

N'E

Last edited:
sli74 said:
Maybe he just bought you new ones ;)

sli74

Ah, the "Zuzu's petals" approach! :)

Thanks for all the great advice. It's always interesting to see how people handle problems in different manners.