Request for pictures of Tucks or Hunts this week (11/30-12/4)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leaf

Reaction score
Hey all -

If anyone gets into Tuckerman or Huntington Ravines this week, can you post or email me (pm me for my email address) pictures of the conditions? I'm specifically looking for ice. :cool:

Thanks!

Was in Tux this morning and it looks like this:
IMG_1308.jpg

I say you're golden

:D

thanks dougpaul, yeah. hoping for some closer shots. might be ice, but well-bonded climbable ice is a plus. unless i want to be featured on a "i shouldn't be alive" episode on the discovery channel.

Last edited:
thanks dougpaul, yeah. hoping for some closer shots. might be ice, but well-bonded climbable ice is a plus. unless i want to be featured on a "i shouldn't be alive" episode on the discovery channel.
It is a bit of a distant view, but you can see many of the gullies when they have ice in them. Also good for seeing where the snow line is. Best view is in the morning because of the sun angle.

Can't see much right now... :( Ice on the window.

Doug

Thanks Maddy. Yeah I check that site pretty much every morning. As I do all the Mount Washington.org stuff-but the avy advisory is my first stop. They do a good job in their descriptions. Didn't see it this morning, so thanks for the reminder. Just read it.

Just looking to gather as much info, particularly at the end of the week since conditions in the early season change from day-to-day, before heading up (or not heading up) this coming weekend to ice climb, yes indeedy.

And I usually don't read books unless there's pictures in it. :D

Last edited:
I think this weekend might be doable if the wed/thur system doesn't dump rain above 3K... if it rains high, forget it, what ever formed since turkey day will all come crashing down..

if the game is possibly on, I am strappin them on and heading up likely.....don't mind scratching up the tuck wall a bit

best chance this weekend will be tucks I think... ??

I am no expert on ice formation, buts that how i see it right now.. :D

yeah yeah yeah. i've been through all tuckerman.org pics, pics on NEice, NEclimbs. yadda yadda. ;)

i want the peoples pictures! show me the love!

Hopefully someone heads up into the ravines some time in the middle of the week and then posts a couple of shots of some of the more promising ice and snow lines.

I'm really not counting much on having any good water ice routes, but maybe a little bit of ice on a snow climb. I'll at least take a walk up to one of the ravines this weekend. A couple of close up pictures would at least help to decide which way to go!

It would also be nice if the Forest Service has some decent weather and can post some recent pics on this site

Last edited:
Hey all -

If anyone gets into Tuckerman or Huntington Ravines this week, can you post or email me (pm me for my email address) pictures of the conditions?
I'm specifically looking for ice. :cool:

You ain't the only one, girlfriend! :rolleyes:

I was also supposed to head up to do the Tucks headwall this coming weekend...but it's looking strongly like the trip will be scrubbed. (Don't wanna infringe on your Discovery Channel docu-drama, now... :eek:)

Am tentatively going up sometime mid- the following week (8-10 Dec), if conditions warrant.

More calf raises and ice tool pull-ups for now. <sigh>

leaf you call yourself a climber....where are your priorities? Call in sick and get your ars up there and check it out for yourself;):D

leaf you call yourself a climber....where are your priorities? Call in sick and get your ars up there and check it out for yourself;):D
ahha! the voice of reason finally speaks. :)

Looking grim...it's 40 and raining hard in Glens Falls right now; weatherman is calling for heavy rain, maybe a thunderstorm, and 50 tomorrow...

indeed.. it's almost 40 degrees at the summit of mt. washington this morning.

that was the deciding factor.. what was going to come out of this storm today. doesn't look pretty.