Returning to the scene of the Crime

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSC

Reaction score
Well it wasn't really a crime, but it was one of those experiences where you find yourself off trail, the sun has set, miles from home and a story just perfect for Mohoamed Ellozy's accident report. This happened two weeks ago, the day before Thanksgiving. Yesterday my hiking partner and I returned to find out where we went wrong.

Two weeks ago, 7summits and I choose to do for us a major hike. We would start at Sawyer River Road and Finish on Zealand Road. We Hiked up Signal Ridge to Mt. Carrigan, my first time, 7summits second.We were rewarded with sun, no wind and excellent visability.

We then hiked down Desolation trail, and entered the wilderness. The plan was to hike the Wilderness Trail to Thoreau Falls Trail, maybe bushwack a little off the trail to the Old Thoreau Falls Trail, return to the new trail and make it to Ethan Pond Trail. Ethan Pond Trail was the goal, because it is an easy trail to follow, same with Zealand, mostly flat, and would not be a problem at night with headlamps.

We were doing fine and on schedule. Many blowdowns along the wilderness trail,some water crossings all were manageable. We arrived on Thoreau Falls Trail. After a mile or so, we attempted to cross the river to get to the old trail.

The water was just too high, with enough ice to cause worry. We went up the trail a bit to see if there were any spots that were doable. We could not find any so after a bit called it off and headed for home. It was getting late, we thought we could still make it to Ethan Pond trail by sunset, Thoreau Falls Trail had other ideas.

So Far the trail was distinct with minor blowdowns, but then it started to become less clear, little or no markings, and it tough to see where the trail went to as there were more and more blowdowns that obsured the trail.
We went about 10 minutes off the trail, following and old route, but when it became clear we turned around and retraced our steps and found the correct route. We became more cautious, and were carefull at the next couple of tricky areas. However now it was getting close to dark. We came to one spot where we were clearly on trail and the trail seemed to stop, we eventually figured it out, but it happened again, and this time it was dark and we made a wrong turn.

Knowing we were close to the falls, we stayed along the river hoping to cross the trail at the top of the falls. We got to the base of the falls but got stuck as we were blocked by a major wall, we tried to climb over it, but it was pitchblack except for our headlamps, we were tired and there was no clear way over it. At this point I was thinking that they would send a rescue party for us out on Thankgiving day, and that my family and friends would never let me here the end of it, and that my wife would never let me go hiking again. We had overnight gear, but did not want to spend the night.
We both kept our heads, We knew we were at the base of the falls, and according to the map, if we crossed and headed in a north east direction we would get to the Ethan Pond Trail. We looked and found a way to cross, and then did a bushwhack and made it to the trail. Luckily 7summits has the eyes of an eagle and spotted the blaze. What a relief, we then had an uneventfull 4 mile walk back to the car, with the stars and the light from Zealand Hut leading the way.

Two weeks later 7 summits wanted to return to find out just how close we were and where we did all our crossings. We came back, started at Zealand Trail at 7:00 made it to Thoureau Falls by 10:30. The Falls were beautiful, lots of ice and great view of Mt. Bond. It is amazing how much view we missed because of the dark. We tried to cross the falls, however the water was too high with too much ice, even little further up was the same. We ended up going back on the Ethan Pond trail 0.3 miles further up crossing a footbridge and bushwhacking to the other side of the falls, were we retraced our steps, found out were we went wrong. We were not that far off, but it was much clearer in the daylight. We figured out where we crossed over and took two videos of the problem areas. Which 7 summits will post soon. All and all it was a great hike. I am glad I hiked with such a great partner who would still hike with me again after such an ordeal.
WSC

Last edited:
WSC said:
I am glad I hiked with such a great partner who would still hike with me again after such an ordeal. WSC
Bonding experience, huh?? Nobody ever needs to takes all the fault. The fun part of hiking - trying to figure workable routes and correct timing...

Good for both of you for being prepared, keeping your heads on and eyes open. Agreed, 7summits is an excellent partner!!

Nice report. Hike on!

trails that aren't well marked are bad news and accidents waiting to happen. Glad you kept your heads and got out safe. Hopefully some work will be done on that trail soon.

I know exactly what you're talking about. A couple years ago I bushwhacked down from Bond near Jumping Brook and trying to find all the correct turns at dusk at all the relos on TFT was a giant pain. I thought I had it made when I crossed at Thoreau Falls but somehow the path to the (now illegal) campsites was more obvious than the real trail and I didn't find it. Did a longer-than-expected bushwhack to Ethan Pond Trail as the RR grade was unmistakeable even in the dark. Easy walk from there, of course I was a little tired by then.

Unfortunately with the new FS policies that Wilderness should be treated more like true wilderness, trail markings will probably get less not more.

Hi Damian, thanks for writing up the trip report.

I was quite obsess about how we're lost and was eager to go back and find out the right path. This trip was very interesting, we found out that at one point during our bushwhack along the river, we're only few steps away from the trail. The most daunting realization was the "steep slope" that we encountered and couldn't climb up was a big head wall, about 80 degree steep toward the top. So glad we didn't climb up half way and stuck there.

It was our fault that we're lost, not yours. We're a team, we made stupid mistakes together but in the end some good calls that get us out safely.

I took many pictures documented our mistakes, but I won't be able to download them right now (big mess repainting my apartment, cable is somewhere deep under my junk), I'll post them as soon as they're ready. I do have the pictures from our first trip on my website:
http://s94354335.onlinehome.us/hike/pemi06/index.htm

Enjoy!

I did the TFT for the first time a few years ago. I was on skis and there were very few marks in the snow or blazes N of the southern river crossing. (A snowshoer had come down from the Bonds area, made the S crossing, and had headed out toward Lincoln Woods.) I had read the guidebook entry carefully and had daylight on my side, but still had some difficulty with the trail finding. If I was lucky, there must have been all of 10 (dark blue) relatively new blazes between the S crossing and the junction with EPT. Fortunately, they marked the several points where the trail turned up from the river for the up-and-overs. Still, I couldn't find the turn up the hill near the falls and had to bushwack until I found it. I managed to reach EPT by dark and the ski by headlamp back to Lincoln Woods via Shoal Pond Tr was pretty easy.

Those dark blue blazes were hard enough to find in the daylight, they were probably much harder to find by headlamp.

I mantain that paint blazes should use glass-bead (reflective road sign) paint so we can find them in the dark. Unfortunately, the painters don't seem to agree... :(

This is also a spot where a bright headlamp that can throw a distant beam can be useful--something that many of the popular lightweights cannot do. (I usually carry at least one with a good beam (eg Xenix IQ) and a couple of lightweight backups.)

Doug

Last edited:
Hey cool trip! Quite a pull.
I really liked your pictures. It helps if you have screwboots or stabilicers to cross the North fork to the old trail. You have to make some jumps. I got a little wet the first time since I am not as cat-like as NH_Mtn_Hiker. More like a dog. :D

VFTT and Trail Adopting

From sounds or reports on excursions, it appears TFT needs some serious trail adopters. I was interested in adopting a trail not long ago and when I visited AMC list of trails up for adoption I noticed many interior trails with long hikes in needing adopters. There's a good reason these trails are not maintained. Bulk of trail maintance is by volunteers. Doing trail work in these areas entails overnight trips. Carrying in tools and camping gear is not too attractive. Trail adopting some remote section trail like TFT might be a good venture for VFTT hard core hikers. Forest Service gives trail tools to adopters and for situation like TFT forest service might be amenable to establishing tool and mountain dew cache in the area. Perhaps even a stealth camp site. Might be another form of gathering. Of course in wilderness area would have to limit work crews to less than 10 people. Think about it! :D

Hi, for those who are curious, here are 2 clips that we recorded to show the 2 confusing turns on TFT.
Clip 1 (where we're almost miss), clip 2 (where we're totally off)

Here are more pictures that showed some of our mistakes.

bubba said:
Bonding experience, huh?? Nobody ever needs to takes all the fault.
It's all Damian's fault :p. Kidding.

DougPaul said:
they marked the several points where the trail turned up from the river for the up-and-overs. Still, I couldn't find the turn up the hill near the falls and had to bushwack until I found it.
I wonder if that was the turn where Damian and I almost missed. Damian has a very good headlamp and mine is this. I think not only that it need to shine far, but also broad enough, that will make scouting for confusing turn easier.

HAMTERO said:
You have to make some jumps. I got a little wet the first time since I am not as cat-like as NH_Mtn_Hiker. More like a dog. :D
I am short, to me it's a giant leap :eek:

Yes, that's a great idea Jazzbo, not that I'm hard core (far from it), but I'd more than happy to help.

Thanks all!