Rocky Peak Ridge 10-01 #46!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
I've been waiting for some time now to post this thread. :D

My son Dominic and I will leave from New Russia, my wife Sylvie will go via the Ridge trail. The exact departure time is TBA but will be close to 8am.

After summiting we'll probably head (up then) down the Ridge Trail as opposed to bushwhacking to Dipper Pond.

If the forecast is for rain (ie. 60% chance or more) I'll cancel and announce a new date. No rain drops in MY champagne!

As I got going on the ADK HH and into doing slides I thought I wouldn't really care about #46. Now that we're poised at #45 I realize that this arbitrary number is steeped in signifigance from historical, social and cultural standpoints. Looking back over the past 3 years I realize how much my life has taken on a new meaning that revolves around the Adirondacks and the good friends I have made there. Previously, I was at a stage in my life where making new, true friends was a rare if not a non-existant event.

Particularly important to me now but unbeknownst to me all along was that I had planted a seed in and was nurturing the mind of my main partner, my own son. His educational foundation for his future adult life now lays embedded in the Adironadack High Peaks Region. What better ritual to celebrate this than a 46er one?

Therefore, a public 46th is more fitting for me than a private one. IMHO, without it's social underpinning completing the 46th dosn't really mean all that much.

So, if you're reading this, you're invited. Come and celebrate with us!!!

Last edited:
Neil,

I would have loved to climb Rocky with you but the is a very bad weekend for me. Good luck with the weather and save the heavy drinking for after the climb.

Mark

I'll be there!

I'ts on the Callendar for my 6th trip up Rocky Peak Ridge. At this rate I'll never get my last 16 4k peaks. :( but that's OK, that hike's one of the all time best in the Daks.
It should be cooled off enough by then that we wont need a cooler for the champagne.

Neil. I would REALLY like to join you, and I dont yet have plans for that weekend. The one catch is that Colden will be joining me, so I would appreciate if someone (anyone) would volunteer their services to porter a few lbs of water up RPR for me and my boy.

RPR is my favourite (did I spell that right) peak so far, and I will gladly do it again because I forgot my camera last time, and there were spectacular views. I actually looked DOWN on a rainbow that day.

New Russia is the longish-approach right? There a bunch of bumps on the way but that suits me, and I like the fact that you are weather dependent.

Any plans for celebrations afterwards? Is this a daytrip for you (and your son?) I would probably stay up at Paradox again, if it is still open.

Best of luck if I don't join you.

-percious

Perc, no problem with the water shlepping. :) There will be a bunch of us leaving from NR and others will be leaving from the Ridge Trail. I'll have to figure out the departure times so everyone gets to the top at about the same time. I'll be looking into a venue for post hike festivities and was wondering about the Jackrabbit hostel. There will be about 9 of us from Montreal and the hostel might be a good bet for cheap overnight accomodations.
I'm open to suggestions though.

Congratulations!

Wow! RPR is on my backpacking list, I'm hoping to do the whole circuit from 9N over Giant and out on 9 via Blueberry Cobbles this fall when the sun is less oppressive and the streams start to flow again.
Have a GREAT 46er !

Ive got no problems with staying in the hostel provided they are ok with Colden having some floorspace (for his playpen) and not charging me 1arm + 1leg for him since they dont have to provide anything for him.

My only snag is that Emily's birthday is that Friday, and I kinda feel weird leaving her by herself that Friday, so I may have to drive up early on Saturday morning, hike and crash. Are there any plans to hike on sunday as well? Did you post this up on ADKforum?

-percious

Hi Neil, 46 on october 1rst. If i can i will be there.
I will follow the forum to know the time etc. It is on my plan to make Rocky Peak this year.

Last edited:
Hi Neil, It looks like Jay and I are interested as well if you will have us. Fred

Neil said:
FF, bringing your guitar?

That's a possibilty! I guess we would have to figure who was camping where or staying at a hostel, etc. I'm always up for playing! ;) Jay and I would like to do RPR and Giant, the whole ridge......

funkyfreddy said:
That's a possibilty! I guess we would have to figure who was camping where or staying at a hostel, etc. I'm always up for playing! ;)
There is a sizeable games room at the charming and meticulously clean Ark Trail motel (46 USD incl tax) a few miles up the road from the Ridge Trail TH. Also, at the same motel there is a very nice and cozy private dining room that would seat 20 or 30 hungry hikers. The nice women who runs the joint would charge 15 bucks a head for a home cooked meal. It would be BYOB and (musical instruments).
I think I'll start a poll in order to see if anybody's interested in some sort of a party afterwards. Hey, where FF is, the party is! Gotta get Matt and his weird guitar interested too.
funkyfreddy said:
Jay and I would like to do RPR and Giant, the whole ridge......
5600 feet of vertical!!!

Neil said:
Gotta get Matt and his weird guitar interested too.

I just might make this scene-if I do the weird guitar will be in tow, rest assured. If I go to the ADKs right now though, I'd definitely want to also grab a couple of the 46ers I need as well-maybe Basin/Saddleback, or Street/Nye, or Phelps/Tabletop. Perhaps even Allen. Jay and FF, if I go, I'd definitely want to carpool and would probably want to stay @ Paradox Lake. Carpool and carcamping logistics would make this a lot more doable as far as $$$ goes. Any chance either or both of you guys could take Friday and/or Monday off to stretch out the weekend? Chris, did you have anything specific in mind for Sunday?

Matt

Matt, I'm interested in Basin/Saddleback and Street/Nye as well, doesn't take too much of an arm twist to get me to play guitar or go hiking when the moon is right :D

Neil, do you know anything about the car camping options in the dacks? I know there' a fairly low cost hostel by the Noonmark diner, not really up on my ADK geography as much as I should be. The party and dinner sound like fun.....

I'm gonna ask the owner of the Ark Trail about a few tents being set up behind the motel. Between the motel and the Ausable river.
O/W there's the Whispering Pines ( google it for the phone #) campground for 17 bucks per site or South Meadows Road for free.

Neil said:
There is a sizeable games room at the charming and meticulously clean Ark Trail motel (46 USD incl tax) a few miles up the road from the Ridge Trail TH. Also, at the same motel there is a very nice and cozy private dining room that would seat 20 or 30 hungry hikers. The nice women who runs the joint would charge 15 bucks a head for a home cooked meal. It would be BYOB and (musical instruments).
I think I'll start a poll in order to see if anybody's interested in some sort of a party afterwards. Hey, where FF is, the party is! Gotta get Matt and his weird guitar interested too.

5600 feet of vertical!!!

That's a great venue if it's available for parties, Neil. I've not stayed there since thanksgiving weekend 1984 so I'm due for a visit. I'll even bring my old guitar along and see if I can get a few pointers from Freddy as to how to play it. That guy rocks!
It'll be 4 straight weekends of hiking/orienteering for me so I might have to bring my wife and kids. They'll most likely go grockleing in Lake Placid! :cool: