Salt Tablets?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Calcium....

As I understand it, Calcium is essential for cellular electrical functions, albeit indirectly. Elements that provide electrical functions need a substrate of calcium on which to do their thing.

As I have posted here before, I have found nothing better to prevent and relieve cramping and fatiuge than, as gross as they may be, SARDINES!

They have more potassium and calcium in a very digestible form than anything else I have found. Along with gatorade ( I know, gross combination) They really keep me going and help me when I am in trouble.

Spinach is key too, but I don't know why, I just listen to Popeye on this one.

Mike

rondak46 said:
As I understand it, Calcium is essential for cellular electrical functions, albeit indirectly. Elements that provide electrical functions need a substrate of calcium on which to do their thing.
Na, K, and Ca are all involved in nerve firing. Along with a bunch of other ions.

Short-term loss of Na and K is an issue, but less so for Ca because it is buffered by the skeleton. (from a discussion with an MD) Obviously, one needs to keep one's Ca input up in the longer term.

Gookinaid claims to attempt to match the electolytes in sweat and only contains 8.5mg Ca per liter compared to 426mg of K and 295mg of Na.

Doug

DougPaul said:
Short-term loss of Na and K is an issue, but less so for Ca because it is buffered by the skeleton. (from a discussion with an MD) Obviously, one needs to keep one's Ca input up in the longer term.

Hmmmm. I wonder how much of a YMMV there is. In my case, since I've taking to popping a Tums/Rolaid after about 8 hours (in addition to other electrolite replacements) , I have eliminated cramping that used to occur at night, or on the drive home.

I also like the food approach. My gorp has salted peanuts and banana chips. My dinner while backpacking will have a potato. ( second to bananas for potassium)

Old folk remedies for people convelescing from chronic diarhea, vomitng, diophoresis or hemorage, all conditions that create hypovolumea and loss of electrolytes, is a root soup. Simply chicken stock with onions, potato, sweet potato, carrots, parsnips. Kale or spinach is a good ingeredient also.

I have found food alone is good enough for me. However, gatorade or poweraide for my younger companion does wonders for the attitude. (Damn youth hockey)

DougPaul said:
Pete_Hickey said:
Hmmmm. I wonder how much of a YMMV there is. In my case, since I've taking to popping a Tums/Rolaid after about 8 hours (in addition to other electrolite replacements) , I have eliminated cramping that used to occur at night, or on the drive home.
I remembered your earlier post on the topic as I wrote that... I've never heard of anyone else having the same problem.

Don't know--I'm not an authority here, just an interested layman who has put some effort into studying the general issue of electrolyte replacement.

Gookinaid includes a small amount of calcium and Gatorade, none.

Many references (eg http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/dehydration.html) stress the variability of sodium loss. A quick search only finds a couple of relevant hits for calcium--all include product promotions (eg http://www.wvmtr.org/electrolyte_replacement.htm).

YMMV applies to a lot of other aspects of hydration and electrolytes--in lieu of any real knowledge, it seems reasonable to assume the same could be true for calcium. Or perhaps you just have some relatively uncommon biochemical anomoly. Whichever, taking a small calcium suppliment seems unlikey to do you any harm.

<absurd joke>
Perhaps excessive chainsaw use depletes calcium? :D
</absurd joke>

I guess that if it bothers you, I suggest that you get a professional opinion. (In other words, the standard advice :).)

Doug

Last edited:
DougPaul said:
I remembered your earlier post on the topic as I wrote that... I've never heard of anyone else having the same problem.

I didn'T come up with it on my own. An aquaintence told me that his doctor told him to take it. I had been putting together my own electrolite drink, (sodium/Potassium), and tried the TUM thing. It worked.

Oh.. and this was before I was licensed by the state to use a chainsaw. :)

Magnesium?

I've also been taking along some extra magnesium on long hikes and afterwards. I do belive it's been helpful in reducing post-hike muscle soreness for me. This spring is the first time I've experimented with it. I'll take 500mg during the hike and more before I go to bed. Magnesium is a muscle relaxant - but it is also a natural laxative - so you may want to experiment with your tolerance to this aspect of magnesium.

My understanding is that you can take from 400 to 1200mg daily, depending on bowel tolerance.

Thoughts?

beverly said:
I've also been taking along some extra magnesium on long hikes and afterwards. I do belive it's been helpful in reducing post-hike muscle soreness for me. This spring is the first time I've experimented with it. I'll take 500mg during the hike and more before I go to bed. Magnesium is a muscle relaxant - but it is also a natural laxative - so you may want to experiment with your tolerance to this aspect of magnesium.

My understanding is that you can take from 400 to 1200mg daily, depending on bowel tolerance.
Another electrolyte...

Daily Value 400mg (according to a vitamin pill bottle).

Doug

Pete_Hickey said:
I didn'T come up with it on my own. An aquaintence told me that his doctor told him to take it. I had been putting together my own electrolite drink, (sodium/Potassium), and tried the TUM thing. It worked.
Sounds good to me.
Oh.. and this was before I was licensed by the state to use a chainsaw. :)
Rats!!! Another perfectly good theory down the drain.

Doug

calcium and magnesium

Was just reading some Gookinaid promo stuff and it claims "Further research has established that both magnesium and calcium are important in maintaing electrolyte balance and muscle activity". http://www.gookinaid.com/thinking-mans-sports-drink-story.htm Includes some comments on Gookin's experience with magnesium in the rehydration drink.

No reference to the "further research".

From a table in http://www.gookinaid.com/hydration/about-electrolyte-replacement-drinks-3.htm

Electrolyte Concentrations in sweat (conditioned athletes):
sodium........... 180-370 mg/liter
potassium...... 310-470
calcium........... 30-60
magnesium ... 30-80

(I have read elsewhere that chloride is also lost. The above are all positive ions, so a corresponding amount of negative ions (eg chloride) must also be lost--otherwise you will accumulate a charge. See lightning thread. :).)

The above is all from promotional stuff so take it with an appropriate "grain of salt".

(Usual disclaimer: I have no connection with any electrolyte drink company.)

Doug

Salt pills very dangerous

I think one of the reasons Gatorade became so popular was that you could gradually introduce, in balance, the liquid and the electrolytes. Salt pills were irreversible, once taken.
A teammate gave me a salt pill when we were running the half-mile in junior-high school. It was a really hot, humid day and we had been working hard in practice. About 15 minutes after I took it, I was spinning. The track coach was furious and the school nurse had to check me out.
From there, I don't remember what happened, whether they had me drink a lot of water or what.
I would never take a salt pill again, of any kind, when it is so easy to drink Gatorade and eat bananas and root plants, which are all high in calcium.

DougPaul said:
No reference to the "further research".

(I have read elsewhere that chloride is also lost. The above are all positive ions, so a corresponding amount of negative ions (eg chloride) must also be lost--otherwise you will accumulate a charge. See lightning thread. :).)

That pretty funny. so what happens if all of the cation hikers are on Carrigan and all of the anions are on Bond Cliff?

Puck said:
so what happens if all of the cation hikers are on Carrigan and all of the anions are on Bond Cliff?

They all fly off of the peaks and slam into each other, cancelling each other out in a blinding flash. Just like what always happens when matter and anti matter come in contact. :rolleyes:

Sheez, I thought everyone knew that.

Keith