Sandwich Dome for #100

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfoot

Reaction score
On Saturday (09/26/09) I headed out to complete my NEHH. I had saved Sandwich Dome for the finish. I was hpoing for good weather and I got an exceptional day.

I began this journey with my wife, Gypsy (trail name), in 1997. Together we completed the NE67. Then for various reasons we were not able to hike for a few years. Her knees began to bother and in 2002 she stopped hiking. I wanted to continue and was encouraged to keep moving. So began the final push to do the NEHH.

When I completed #99 and scheduled #100, Gypsy said she wanted to be there for the finish. After all she was there in the begining and felt it was important to be there in the end. By the time we got back to the car the knees were acting up but she was there every step of the way. I cannot think of anyone else I would rather have hiked with on Saturday.

Just for good measure my Banker decided to join us. This is kind of unusual since bankers play golf instead of hike.

We hit the Sandwich Mtn trail in Waterville Valley around 9am. The trail starts out rocky and steep. In just over an hour starts to ease somewhat and gets quite pretty.

We arrived at the top at noon. Time to celebrate. I wanted one of my favorite meals for this little party. We had almonds, grapes, sliced apples, cheese, artisan bread, a chunk of turkey to slice off, a 70% cacao dark chocolate bar, and of course a nice big bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon. With this meal, the beautiful weather, spectacular views, being with a good friend, and having Gypsy by my side, how could there possibly be a better way to finish the NEHH?

Soon it was time to go. We took the spur to Jennings Peak to see the views to the SW and on to the car. I was a memorable day.

Finally it was off to the Common Man in Plymouth for dinner. My brother and his wife, who climed 22 of the 4000ers with us, joined us to complete the celebration.

I have hiked either on purpose or by accident with 7 ROTers. I sent PMs to all for being part of this journey.

The NE67 was a challenge but the NEHH takes it to a new level. I completed many of these hikes solo. As I stood by my car getting ready to head out on a bushwhack, I often had cause for pause wondering what the hell I was doing. In the end the dificulty proved to be very rewarding.

Now that I have completed this list, you just might find the elusive Bigfoot joining you along the trail.

Chocolate, Cab. and beautiful weather

Kudos on finishing your 100! You did it in my kind of style! Great job!:D

Congratulations. Way to go.:)

The NE67 was a challenge but the NEHH takes it to a new level. I completed many of these hikes solo. As I stood by my car getting ready to head out on a bushwhack, I often had cause for pause wondering what the hell I was doing. In the end the dificulty proved to be very rewarding.
I know the feeling. There were times when heading out alone in my old Chevy Lumina to drive seventeen miles in on those northern Maine logging roads I wondered if I would return. (I did come close to a massive breakdown once. I made it back but the garage wouldn't even let me drive the car to the junk yard I had to have it towed there.) I think I was more worried about getting in and out of some of those places with my car than I was getting in and out of the woods on foot. But all that only adds to the satisfaction of getting it done.

So once again, WELL DONE

Hell yeah!

Congratulations to you. Glad we were able to do one of those together. Wish I could have joined you on your #100.

Hope our paths cross again!!

Best regards,
Marty

Thanks all

In responding to all the comments thus far:

Cymbidium---If you cannot do it in style, why do it? I have been trying to set something up with Jabbewalk. I know you have hiked with her. We should make a plan.

una dogger---you are close, when will you finish?

Loanshark---I like to call my banker on a beautiful day and tease him by asking why he is not out playing golf like everyone else in the bank. The rates usually spike within a day or so.

Paradox--Views and Brews, some winter 4000s , and just hiking fur the ____of it. I am a bit list weary right now.

Marty--I am sure we will hike again some time. I can't pass hiking with people who like to have fun.

Ed'n Lauky---we met at the trailhead for Carter Dome last winter. It has been a very rewarding experience. I was tabulating the 33 hikes to complete the NEHH (after the 67). I did 25 of the 33 solo. It would have been 26 but I met Marty on the trail and we did N Kennabago.

Great meal plan

Bigfoot,

Wonderful accomplishment and perservering when you had to go it along. I am just glad that we got to go together to the Scar Ridge, and we will put another trip together soon. I love your choice of celebration food! Very nice, too, that Gypsy could go along. I love Sandwich Dome.

You deserve a short break from the lists - but I know you will still be out tramping in the woods!