Santanoni 1/9/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viewseeker

Reaction score
Winter Mountains 2-- Me and Robert 0....This being our next attempt since not summitting redfeild/cliff, now we are in the santas with 1adam12,adkdremn, numnum and Mtn. Goat, nums son....Well after me getting .5 hours of sleep before leaving we arrived sooner than expected. So we both got a few minutes rest beofre all showed up.. Weather was a cool, crisp 5 degrees. Only 1 person since 12/21 had been here at all, not a good feeling. This means trailbreaking, Roberts and mine first attempt, not sure about the others. Road was well packed. Numnum had to bow out due to his knees so we lost them before going onto the trail from the road. About 6-12 inches lower portions increasing with altitiude. Tried the New/Old trail but to hard to follow. I must give our group a huge pat on there backs, trailbreaking and we where able to stay on the summer HP. Snow really gets deep once you start up the Panther Brook. Its now about 2-3 feet and deep in places that seem bottomless ...Very slow going for us 4. The skies where unbelieveabley the Bluest I have ever seen. Not a wisp of wind either, perfect day for a summit. At 2:20pm we where 300' from Times square or is it Herald square where you pop out..Either way long way to go and Its getting past that time..So we call it a sucess not by terms of a summit but we have now broken trail for others which is a great feeling now that We know how much work goes into such. Decended in 3.5 hours last half hour in the dark and its back to 5 degrees. Now off to the Long Lake Motel(adirondack Motel) with Robert and adam. Got some great food and tastey UBUs'...I was hoping to make it thru the Dallas/Eagles game as Mr. Adkdremn is Such a birds fan. Well i made it about 5 minutes and couldnt keep and eye open and crashed in seconds.. Seems that The cowboys wrecked them again to go 3-0 this season against them...What do you got to say now andy? Well like i said Not a summit for the last 2 attempts but the mtns did give up there beauty this fine day. I took away much learned expierence, we all did i think. This concluded a wonderful birthday hike and days before I realized, one year to this date I laid to rest my wonderful companion lab justin before our trip into Colvin/Blake, God bless him. Thanks for everyones hard work, mostly Robert and andy, who now is labled an animal with his strong legs for trail beaking.. Hope I didnt forget anything, if i did im sure they will chime in.. thanks for the company guys.

Pics:http://community.webshots.com/album/576274624kxrGEJ?vhost=community

Last edited:
It should be noted that we broke trail to about 300 distance feet (not vertical feet) from Time Square. My guess would be that were probably 50 vertical feet or less from Time Square. We were just about there, but we were pretty tired and running out of day, we knew we just didn't have the time to stand on even Panther so we decided to turn around and head down.

It should be noted that we broke trail to about 300 distance feet (not vertical feet) from Time Square. My guess would be that were probably 50 vertical feet or less from Time Square. We were just about there, but we were pretty tired and running out of day, we knew we just didn't have the time to stand on even Panther so we decided to turn around and head down.
Been there, done that (sort of!). Still I'm sure it was a good day in other ways.

We are planning a Couch and Panther visit for the 22 or 23 of January so we are very thankful for your hard work.. Would be even better if you would make sure it stays broken to TS till then!

Well I'm glad you a good time! The company was certainly good!

Company is always good...lots of fun and just plan relaxing so to speak..

We are planning a Couch and Panther visit for the 22 or 23 of January so we are very thankful for your hard work.. Would be even better if you would make sure it stays broken to TS till then!

For sure , :rolleyes:....i think after that 20+ group that I hear from Canada ends there summit this weekend it will be perfect...

adirobdack46r said:
I was quite happy with how well we were able to follow the herd path. Only deviated from it a couple times but quickly picked it back up.

Hey Rob...do you know about what elevation we were at when we turned around? Just curious.
I'm tempted to go back this weekend or next.....not that I actually will, but I'd like to.

To think we were that close to Panther is hearbreaking. Oh well always next time :D

Thanks everyone for the great laughs and good times!

For those of you that have been in the range in the summer know how muddy it can be. Well it can be muddy in the winter too. Just ask ADKDREMN he fell in a mud pit :p

Plus, you kind of have to go to Panther to get to Couch anyway, Santanoni now has a "direct route" as you surely know but for the most part, it's kind of like Emmons, you have to go over Donaldson to get to Emmons (unless you take a non-standard route)...

jay

Yeah, yeah Jay....thanks for rubbing it in.:)
Now we all have to go back. Well, me especially, since I still need the three for a regular round.

OK, inquiring minds want to know (Andy) so I pulled the data out of my GPS. As I said previously, when we turned around my GPS said we were around 345 feet from Time Square. I said that was distance feet not vertical feet. No data is perfect but what I come up with is that Time Square is around about 4290ft. The altimeter data in my track log states that we were at 4225ft when we made the decision to turn around. Looking at the track log on the topo map it shows we were closer to 4200ft. Either way it seems that according to this data we were less than 100 vertical feet from Time Square.

Also Andy had asked how far we had traveled that day. The track log (which are not perfect sometimes but good for reference) shows that from the cars to where we turned around was 6.1 miles. We had that little attempt at the new old in there but we didn't waste much time on that so it looks like we traveled about 6 miles in and 6 out.

OK, inquiring minds want to know (Andy) so I pulled the data out of my GPS. As I said previously, when we turned around my GPS said we were around 345 feet from Time Square. I said that was distance feet not vertical feet. No data is perfect but what I come up with is that Time Square is around about 4290ft. The altimeter data in my track log states that we were at 4225ft when we made the decision to turn around. Looking at the track log on the topo map it shows we were closer to 4200ft. Either way it seems that according to this data we were less than 100 vertical feet from Time Square.

Also Andy had asked how far we had traveled that day. The track log (which are not perfect sometimes but good for reference) shows that from the cars to where we turned around was 6.1 miles. We had that little attempt at the new old in there but we didn't waste much time on that so it looks like we traveled about 6 miles in and 6 out.

Gee, and to think we traveled 16 miles in and out to cliff/redfeild, without a summit... makes me not feel so bad this weekend..:eek::rolleyes:

Thanks Rob! Hope it wasn't to much of a pain....I was just curious. Trying to make myself feel better about being defeated.:eek:

As you recall, when we got back to the cars my GPS was off. It had turned off presumeably due to battery failure sometime on our trip out. The track log shows the last entry as just before we made it to the start of the new old path, so that is when the batteries went belly up and I missed the low battery beep telling me to pop new ones in.

I think after that 20+ group that I hear from Canada ends there summit this weekend it will be perfect...

Yes Rob, there will be 2 groups (+/-10 in each group) from Quebec. Because they are to many.

The plan is, the first group will start very early. They will broke the trail to Santanoni and the second group Panther. After that they will go for Couch.

I am not part of any of those 2 groups.

Last edited:
Company is always good...lots of fun and just plan relaxing so to speak..

For sure , :rolleyes:....i think after that 20+ group that I hear from Canada ends there summit this weekend it will be perfect...

All trails are now broken for the Santanoni range. More details to come tomorrow...

Last edited:
hiking morris said:
All trails are now broken for the Santanoni range. More details to come tomorrow...

Awesome...way to go guys! Looking forward to the details!!