Santanonis - Group Trip - 2/24/6 Weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
I'd like to try for the Santanonis in February. I searched around and found a good deal for lodging. The plan is to get there Friday, 2/24, bag peaks Saturday, and maybe Sunday if need be.

I tentatively reserved a house for 2 nights in Newcomb, NY, at a place called Aunt Polly's B&B (no web page), Ph. 518-582-2260, for the nights of 2/24 and 2/25. The house has sleeping setup for 8 as follows:

A Queen size bed in a private room - consider this one taken! :D
A 'Normal' bed in a private room - Sleeps 2
A room with 2 twin beds
Another room with 2 twin beds

You can crash on the sofa, bring a blowup bed, sleeping bag, etc. The max # of people is 11. They have a full kitchen and 1.5 baths.

Total cost of the house is $150 per night, so this is a cheap date! Exact cost is TBD.

They also have other private rooms in the main house. Reserve these on your own, but let me know if you'll be there. They are about $60/night.

I figure if we get a fairly large group of people, we can do a good job on the Santanonis.

Let me know if you are interested ASAP!

Last edited:
Tom,

Nat and I are definitely interested but cannot confirm until we return from Argentina. If the place fills up before, we'll just make different sleeping arrangement and meet up at the trailhead. :)

Santonini's

Tom-

I'm interested in joining your expedition, if there is still room. I need all three Santonini peaks...Can you let me know if you have room for one or two more climbers, and when you need to know by? Thanks.

Splitrock821 said:
Tom-

I'm interested in joining your expedition, if there is still room. I need all three Santonini peaks...Can you let me know if you have room for one or two more climbers, and when you need to know by? Thanks.

So far, no one is a definite on the House reservation, except Laurie and I. There are 3 'maybe' people, and one person who might join us at the trailhead.

So at this point, 2 more is fine!

I have no hard deadline, but first come, first served! :D

Tom Rankin said:
So far, no one is a definite on the House reservation, except Laurie and I. There are 3 'maybe' people, and one person who might join us at the trailhead.

So at this point, 2 more is fine!

I have no hard deadline, but first come, first served! :D

Newsflash! We now have 4 definite hikers in the house.

Hi Tom, I'm interested but can't confirm yet, would love to do the Santanoni's in winter.

Confirmed

Tom, I'm definitely in for the hike & house, so add one more to the total. I've asked a few others, but no commitments. Let me know further details. Thanks.

cantdog said:
Though I can't picture myself being mental enough to want to ever go back to the Santanonis, I was wondering if I could join the house arrangement anyway. I'm willing to commit if I can find a partner for Cliff & Redfield that Saturday.
Sure, that's fine with me.

You might want to post elsewhere to attract more attention to your cause...

I'm interested...I'd like to hike the Santanonis this winter.

However, how fast are those who have expressed interest so far? I am a slow but sure tortoise, and am not sure how well I will fit in.

Santas

Hmmmmmmm... I was planning to hike that weekend, and I need Santanoni, I'm definitely interested. I don't really need accommodations, as I usually sleep in my car at the trail head. And by the way, I'm also a tortoise! -Bob

Last edited:
I'm in 100%. Had some plans change, and the weekend opened up nicely! Spoke to Ward last night, and anticipate that he may be in as well, he'll post. But I am a definite. Let me know if you need any kind of cash up front, I'd be glad to send it. Have'nt got my "Winter Santas" yet, so I'm looking forward to it!

CM and AlG:

You 2 tortoises can bring up the rear! :D

Just kidding really. The Santanoni's are good for groups with mixed levels.

You go out to Times Square and then there are 3 herd paths, 1 to each peak. Those who are faster may get out and back to more peaks. Those who are slower may have to be content to get less than all 3. Maybe not. If we're breaking trail, the whole group might end up staying together longer. I've heard of Santanoni trips where all 3 were bagged in the winter, and others where 0 were obtained!

I have walkie talkies which I can bring to help us coordinate.

Slamdog, you're on the list!

We'll figure out the rates later, based on who ends up sleeping where...

Last edited:
Alg, Crazymama

I'll join you at the back. Slow and steady wins the race.

Alg, I'll also be sleeping in my car.

Santanoni's

I need all 3 for the winter & was planning that weekend w/ my son. I will keep an eye on these post & if no one minds I would like to join in. I took a shot last winter w/ Guinness & we made it to Times Square & no further in very deep unbroken snow. Alistair & Crazymama we just did Seymour together on the 7th of January. Happy hiking!!!!!

shin murnane said:
I need all 3 for the winter & was planning that weekend w/ my son. I will keep an eye on these post & if no one minds I would like to join in. I took a shot last winter w/ Guinness & we made it to Times Square & no further in very deep unbroken snow. Alistair & Crazymama we just did Seymour together on the 7th of January. Happy hiking!!!!!

Just so I am clear, you intend to join us at the trail head, but not at the B&B, correct?

BTW, there is still room!

Can Anyone say what time you would be setting off from the trailhead? I might want to tag along but would not be staying overnight. And were exactly is the trailhead? I have done Adams before, is it right before Adams on the right side. I saw some snowmobilers there last year as I passed but the road did not seem to be plowed that good.

Adk_dib said:
Can Anyone say what time you would be setting off from the trailhead? I might want to tag along but would not be staying overnight. And were exactly is the trailhead? I have done Adams before, is it right before Adams on the right side. I saw some snowmobilers there last year as I passed but the road did not seem to be plowed that good.

I was planning to hit the trail at 6:00 AM, given sunrise is about 6:45 AM on that date. That would mean actually starting to hike at 6:00 AM, taking whatever time was needed to get up, dress, eat, pack, drive to the trailhead, prepare, and start hiking. If I have time, I'll drive the road the night before to make sure I know how long that part will take.

I don't have maps with me, so I'll either let someone else answer the 'where' question, or I'll look it up when I get home.

Trailhead to Santanoni's

It is almost 10 miles from Rt 28N. It is on the left not the right & it is marked fairly well. It is just before the Upper Works trailhead. I might be in there this weekend, if so I will measure the milage exactly & let you all know.