SCARIEST mountain stories/legends/lore...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Head

Reaction score
Have been trying to find the SCARIEST mountain stories that anyone has ever heard. I'm talking about bone-chilling, put-the-kids-to-bed, heart pounding stuff. The kind of story that would put Alfred Hitchcock or Stephen King under their covers! These stories don't have to be personal stories either....but I would love to hear em', whether they are ADK, Whites or anywhere else. Thanks in advance!!
HEAD

BirdHead Studios

If you are looking for any stories of murderers etc. check the thread titled "Anyone know any psycho in the woods type stories?". If you are looking for stories about life threatening experiences such as dangerous weather conditions, or close calls, I am sure someone has stories like that.

I'd say "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow". Haven't read it in a number of years, but still remember the scary parts.

Legend of Catherine's Mountain

This story takes place in the black woods up in Downeast Maine north of the city of Ellsworth and south of the township of Cherryfield. It is said that the hilly forests are haunted.

"True story"

Franklin, Me, circa 1950's

Young woman disappears one autumn evening driving home along the Black Woods road north of Franklin. Her car is found at the base of a hill along the shores of Tunk Lake.

The next morning the police find her body in the woods a victim of a hit and run accident. Neither the driver or vehicle are ever found. The crime remains a mystery.

Police surmise that her car stalled and she was forced to walk. She seemed to be heading back to Franklin when a logging truck struck young Catherine

"Here's where the legend begins."

A few years pass.......

The black woods are indeed truly black, there are no streetlights and few people live on the old logging road. The road had become paved and more people used it as a short-cut instead of the more heavily travelled Route 1. People who drive the hilly road often will see strange lights above the cold waters of Tunk lake. On a particular night an old guy was driving his truck through that area and happened to spot a young woman walking along the side of the road. He stopped to pick her up, opened his side door and she was gone. He didn't think much about it. That same year another man stopped to pick up a girl and she also mysteriously vanished... people started talking. In small towns legend and lore build quickly and most folks thought it was probably poor Catherine.

One night it was getting late and a young man was hurrying home. He sped along the dangerous curves and hills that lead to the lake. He saw the girl up ahead but his wife would be waiting on him at home, wondering why he was so late. So he zipped by her.

He felt that something was wrong and as when he turned his head he saw a young woman sitting in the seat beside him.....

So the locals will tell you, if you're ever driving through the "Black Woods Road" in the dead of night and you see a woman walking on the side of the road........you'd better pick her up, because if you don't she will appear in the seat beside you.......

There is a mountain on that stretch of road that the forest clings heavily to called Catherine's Mountain. It's in the Maine Atlas

Last edited:
phantom hitchiker

This is a regional variant of a widely spread "urban" legend. Here's a version told in the song "Bringing Mary Home". I think it's covered in one of Jan Brunvand's urban legend books under "vanishing hitchhiker".

I was driving down a lonely road one dark and stormy night
When a little girl by the roadside showed up in my headlights
I stopped and she got in back and in a shaky tone
She said: My name is Mary, please won't you take me home?
She must have been so frightened all alone there in the night
There was something strange about her, for her face was deathly white
She sat so pale and quiet in the back seat all alone
I never will forget that night I took Mary home
I pulled into the driveway where she told me to go
Got out to help her from the car and opened up the door
But I just could not believe my eyes 'cause the back seat was bare
I looked all around the car but Mary wasn't there
A light shone from the porch, someone opened up the door
I asked about the little girl that I was looking for
Then a lady gently smiled and brushed a tear away
She said: It sure was nice of you to go out of your way
But thirteen years ago today a wreck just down the road
Our darling Mary lost her life and we miss her so
Thank you for your trouble and the kindness you have shone
You're the thirteenth one who's been here bringing Mary home

yes, that's midnight Mary you're talking about. There are midnight Mary legends in many areas of the US. I remember being told about one in Pa. where I went to high school. The Catherine Mountain is an interesting variation on the legend, possibly one of the original tales that started the midnight Mary legends as almost archetypal folklore.

well, mine is pretty embarassing, but entertaining nonetheless. I was doing mt. washington at night, and i saw the lantern at lake of the clouds. Well, being sleep deprived i thought someone was coming after me (it was like 3:00 in the morning). Needless to say i was so scared becuase it was making a WICKED creaking noise, and for some reason it looked like it was getting close to me, plus it was swinging back and forth.

Well whatever, what do you expect from today's generation of kids? We are more used to handguns than to scary sounds at night:D