Scary, but inevitable...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldsmores

Reaction score
Someone posted this on another forum, and it made me think: "I will be hiking with my father, of whom has climbed big slide. Keep in mind he is 61 years old and in fairly good shape. However i think the Big Slide trail via brothers and JBL loop are a pretty good example of his limits, so keep this in mind while reccomending a hike."
As a 51 year old who considers himself "in fairly good shape", and who hikes with his 22 and 19 year old from time to time, I wonder when they will start figuring my limitations into their hiking plans. I don't think it has happened yet (I have climbed a couple 14K'ers with my son in the last year), but it's only a matter of time. For some reason (male ego?), I think it will really bother me when I finally discover that they are "taking it easy on the old man" and building their hikes with me around my real or perceived lack of physical ability. Much as I'd like to believe that I can do anything they can do, I know that they have not peaked physically, while I'm on the downhill slope.
No real answer required, just getting it off my chest... :(

getting old

I know exactly what you mean Oldsmores. I am 60 and my son is 28, besides hiking in the Whites with my son, he and I have done Olympus and Shuksan in WA. in the last couple of years. Quite honestly, without his encouragement I never would have made the summit of Olympus. It's a 22 + mi trek in and at the end is about 600 ft of rock climbing to reach the summit, I was ready to quit and take pictures of him summiting, but he would have none of it, took my camera and water and led me up to the top. The lines had finally crossed, he was in his prime and I was on my way in the other direction. He now slows his a pace a bit for me.

dms said:
I know exactly what you mean Oldsmores. I am 60 and my son is 28, besides hiking in the Whites with my son, he and I have done Olympus and Shuksan in WA. in the last couple of years. Quite honestly, without his encouragement I never would have made the summit of Olympus. It's a 22 + mi trek in and at the end is about 600 ft of rock climbing to reach the summit, I was ready to quit and take pictures of him summiting, but he would have none of it, took my camera and water and led me up to the top. The lines had finally crossed, he was in his prime and I was on my way in the other direction. He now slows his a pace a bit for me.

I just met a man last night (John Dobson) who is 90 years old. He still runs twice a week. He looks to be in great shape.

Stay active! The alternative is not pretty! :eek:

I just came back from a solo dayhike where I took the Howker Ridge trail to Madison, then the Star Lake trail to Adams, then over to Jefferson, and back via the randolph path. I'm not so concerned about younger people (I'm 53) accomodating my declining abilities than I am about not being able to do those kinds of hikes at some point in the future. So I intentionally push myself more than I would have 10 or 20 years ago.

I do focus more now on proper nutrition, sleep, and exercise in order to at least forestall the inevitable. To this point, I have few physical issues, except for the fact that coming down a mountain is now almost always an agonizing experience to a greater or leser degree. This last trip I used knee braces which did alleviate some of the suffering.

I know that pretty often in the course of a normal day I catch myself and realize that although I've been thinking and behaving as if I were 30, I'm a lot older than that - and I think that's a good sign. What I'm hoping is that I can do the same with my body. But that's going to be a tougher challenge. I think one has to accept diminished physical abilities with grace, no? And just keep going as long as I can. If I'm 90 and can only hike through some gentle woods for an hour or so, I hope I'll be happy and content with that.

My 18 year old daughter and 15 year old son can hike their 55 year old father into the ground. But considering that I drive a desk much of the time and am not a runner, I guess that's not surprising.

A couple weeks ago on Adams summit we met a woman who had to be at least 70, and probably older. She had hiked up for the day and seemed very comfortable. She tottered a little when she got up, but then she headed down the trail. I think individual variations count for a lot as we get older, and regardless of conditioning some people are just better "equipped" than others of the same age. That said, there is no substitute for good conditioning, and it becomes increasingly important with increasing age.

What?

You mean I'm old? Thanks for making me think about this. I'll be 53 tomorrow, and have been hiking for only 5 years, so the mountains are still fairly fresh and new for me. My daughter doesn't hike, and my wife just started doing some hikes with me last year. Of all my "old" friends, only one is a hiker.

My new hiking-obsessed friends are those who I've met through VFTT, and with one exception, all are much younger than I. So I have only you folks to remind me that I'm getting up there!
-OldHiker

i WILL BE 50 AT THE NEXT TURN IN MARCH, i THINK MORE OF HITTING CERTAIN TRAILS, BENCHMARKS BEFORE THINGS CHANGE. ON THE OTHER HAND, i DID THE NEW TRAVELER LOOP THIS SUMMER FROM UPPER SO. BRANCH LEANTO (EXTRATWO MILES) SO i AM DOING OK-OH OH FORGOT TO TURN OFF my CAPS LOCK-MUST BE GETTING SENILE :eek: - HERE'S TO ALL THE PLUS FIFTIES, MILES TO GO BEFORE i SLEEP!! :D ;) :D

I have already started building concessions to age into my own hiking plans and I'm only 49! :eek:
I can still hike a long way at a reasonable clip but now I have to allow more recovery time between big hikes. There's no way around it. Recovery takes longer.
Nevertheless, I still plan on doing stuff when I'm well into my 90's and early 100's.
In fact, on my 80th I'm skiing the Trap Dyke and you're all invited. That's March 18, 2036. Mark it down.

Sleeping Giant said:
So I intentionally push myself more than I would have 10 or 20 years ago.

I do focus more now on proper nutrition, sleep, and exercise in order to at least forestall the inevitable. To this point, I have few physical issues, except for the fact that coming down a mountain is now almost always an agonizing experience to a greater or leser degree. This last trip I used knee braces which did alleviate some of the suffering.

I strongly agree with Sleeping Giant. I have learned that I need to work out at least 5 times per week to keep in shape for big hikes. It is not always easy to find the time for this, but somehow I do.

After those big hikes, I sometimes experience a whole bunch of nagging aches and pains than I never did before, including backaches, sore knees, ankle pain and tendonitis in the shoulder. I consider those to be minor annoyances compared to the great joy I get from hiking.

I guess it all boils down to your priorities.
Regards,
Marty

I am almost 45, and while I can still outrun and outhike my kids( they are 12 and 6), my daughter can pretty much hike at my pace. She actually is turn ing into a very nice hiking partner. As we both age, I fully expect they will surpass me in speed if they feel like going fast.

On a ski slope, she is WAY ahead; she is a racer and does not like to ski with the olde folks. My son at 6 is not far behind that. Both feel free to make fun of how slow I ski, and I am a decent skiier, though I have never raced. I guess there is a down side to starting them at 3.

I know what you mean, some days are better than others. I'm 49 and only been hiking for about 5 years now but also am very active in the outdoors. My husband and I do all kinds of stuff: biking, kayaking, swimming, snokeling, snowshoeing, x-country skiing, downhill skiing(I like that more than x-country), you name it, we'll at least give a shot. I think that keeps you young(feeling anyway). Well that would depend on the before or after doing such events. :D

I think hiking wears on me more, especially on the downhill, carrying a full pack. At the end of the day I'm usually spent, but a good spent, because we usually end up at some beautiful site that makes it all worth it. :)

I'm in my high 40s. I can still keep up with my sons, 17 and 14, which is pretty good considering the 17 year old runs at the front of his high school varsity cross country team. One reason is that I still do a variety of exercises for ~1.5 hrs x 7 days. Another reason is that, although they are both very experienced hikers/backpackers and their bodies are still on the ascendant and mine is at least not getting any stronger, I can still hike "smarter." I know better how to use my body, which makes up to some degree for pure brute force.

The effects of time, however, are inevitable. The only question is the rate.

(with apologies to Frank :D )

When I was in my 20s I would party all night then head up to the mountains and hike.

When I was in my 30s I could party well into the evening, get some sleep, then head up to the mountains and hike.

When I was in my 40s I would stay home the evening before, get a good night's sleep, then head up to the mountains and hike.

Now that I'm in my 50s, I go to the gym for a couple months beforehand to train, get a week of good nights' sleeps, then head up to the mountains and hike!

I don't really care what happens at the beginning of the sentence as long as I can continue to do what comes after the word "then." :cool:

Mad Townie said:
(with apologies to Frank :D )

When I was in my 20s I would party all night then head up to the mountains and hike.

When I was in my 30s I could party well into the evening, get some sleep, then head up to the mountains and hike.

When I was in my 40s I would stay home the evening before, get a good night's sleep, then head up to the mountains and hike.

Now that I'm in my 50s, I go to the gym for a couple months beforehand to train, get a week of good nights' sleeps, then head up to the mountains and hike!

I don't really care what happens at the beginning of the sentence as long as I can continue to do what comes after the word "then." :cool:

That's a good one!!! ;)

Nothing to worry about

I'm in my early 30's and occasionally hike with my 67 year old mother. The hikes are not to the tops of mountains anymore but that doesn't matter to me. It's more satisfying to take a nice slow stroll with my mom and spend time doing something we both love than to dwell on whether or not I could be peak bagging that day. Oldsmores, as you get older, which we all do, your kids will still love to hike with you whether it's up Mount Marcy or through the field across the street. You're lucky you enjoy the same things. Live long.

First let me celebrate:
Neil is older :p :p , Neil is older :p :p by all of two months and two days :D

I just keep plodding along at 49. I hike with my just turned 17 son. I'm afraid to even think of how fast he could and would go if I wasn't his hiking partner. If he ever discovers other people to hike with, and that's it's actually possible to break book speed, then I'm a goner. I'll be left in the dust and then I'll have to carry all my water again. :eek:

But I intend to be plodding up mountains and into lakes for many many years.

March 18, 2036 got it in my planner Neil!

AlG said:
Of all my "old" friends, only one is a hiker.

My new hiking-obsessed friends are those who I've met through VFTT, and with one exception, all are much younger than I. So I have only you folks to remind me that I'm getting up there!
-OldHiker

AlG - none of these had reference to me... right???

I think the strong thread here is hiking with your kids/parents, rather than what shape one is in at any age. Finding hiking partners that hike at the same rate and intertest level is a snap (VFTT), our kids having the interest, time and concern is the real issue. Lucky we who can share our love of the outdoors/mtns/adventure with them. Keeping up is egotistic... catskillclimber knows the essence of life -- lucky you!!

I hike with some much younger guys who can climb like I used to. I KNOW they take it easy on me. All I can advise is to try and stay in shape and do the best you can.
As I remind them often, "your turn will come someday". ;)