Second time man needs to be rescued by helicopter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAR-EMT40

Reaction score
Illinois hiker

Must be one of the funniest quotes I've heard in a while. He has effectively been banned from the forest. :D

"They said no hiking for me, they were like the next time you go hiking were not going to go out and rescue you. The state trooper said if they see me in the forest...they're going to arrest me,''

I know, I have an odd sense of humor. :eek:

Keith

They weren't even in the mountains! That bus is out on the flats. There's a road near it that they could have picked up and followed back. They really should stay home. But then I always thought this about "Into the Wild" as well.

I thought you couldn't even get across the river to/from the bus in the summertime, which was what stranded McCandless. How did they even get that far to begin with?

I think SAR should have taken him out on a short bus. :D :rolleyes:
Or done what I would have done: flown him up to 10,000', opened the door and chucked him out. Nothing says that rescuers can't be murderers when the situation calls for it.

-Dr. Wu

Or done what I would have done: flown him up to 10,000', opened the door and chucked him out. Nothing says that rescuers can't be murderers when the situation calls for it.

-Dr. Wu

at least castrate him so he will not be able to breed!

at least castrate him so he will not be able to breed!
I'm sure getting tossed out of a helicopter hovering at 10,000' will preclude the need to cut his nooters off. No need to mutilate the guy. These SAR dudes might be murderers in the appropriate circumstances but they certainly aren't sickos.

-Dr. Wu

These kids are young and obviously adventurous. It seems to me that the authorities, rather than just reprimanding them and sending them on their way, might not only benefit the kids, but themselves and others concerned by providing the kids with some outdoor courses. It's easy for us all to point fingers and call the kids "dumb", but maybe the kids don't realize they are being foolish in their choices. Granted, I don't agree that they are taking the right actions to learn by just jumping in the fire, but we all had to start somewhere! I can't help but feel for them a bit as they made themselves look like idiots and now have to put up with all the comments and "your ignorant" glares. Set them in the right direction and help them to not be ignorant anymore. If given the proper learning tools and they still fail...well....then so be it, but at least then they were given that opportunity.

Yes, I brave to take a stance on the opposing side every now and then. :rolleyes:

These kids are young and obviously adventurous. It seems to me that the authorities, rather than just reprimanding them and sending them on their way, might not only benefit the kids, but themselves and others concerned by providing the kids with some outdoor courses. It's easy for us all to point fingers and call the kids "dumb", but maybe the kids don't realize they are being foolish in their choices. Granted, I don't agree that they are taking the right actions to learn by just jumping in the fire, but we all had to start somewhere! I can't help but feel for them a bit as they made themselves look like idiots and now have to put up with all the comments and "your ignorant" glares. Set them in the right direction and help them to not be ignorant anymore. If given the proper learning tools and they still fail...well....then so be it, but at least then they were given that opportunity.

Yes, I brave to take a stance on the opposing side every now and then. :rolleyes:

i think you are forgetting,
it happend to this dude twice!

mistakes03.jpg

And it will continue to happen until someone provides him with the proper tools and knowledge.

Hmmm. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

I know I have seen that as the definition of something, now what was it????

Oh that’s right. It’s what I taught my boys since they were old enough to understand English. It’s the definition of stupid.

I appreciate your point of view Laurie, and your courage in voicing it ;) but if you gave this guy a book would he eat the covers? Anyone can make a mistake. But most of us recognize a mistake as a reason to either cease and desist or to learn proper technique either from books or hands on with others who can do it properly. With all the resources available to someone today how could this have happened a second time without gross negligence? Granted he is young but he is no kid. He clearly has demonstrated a consistent lack of understanding or commitment to doing things correctly in the wild. I would also not assume that the SAR teams the first time did not try to educate him. I think by the second time they evaluated the situation and decided that he was someone who managed to skate across the gene pool the one day it was frozen instead of taking a dip like the rest of us. Whatever skill set he possesses, clearly it doesn’t seem to be in the field of outdoor activities and it would likely be best for all involved if he stayed out of the outdoors.

Keith

The outdoor culture in Alaska is huge. I am positive there are resources easily available so he could prepare and be educated better. He had equipment & food. He got lost 2 xs. Doesn't show any learning does it. He is stupid. I'm sure SAR & the Trooper assessed the situatuion properly.

Stupidity is so entertaining!

The best part is the irony of getting lost while out on a trip to see the "Into the Wild" bus.

Preventing him from breeding is a must....

of Course we don't know much of his experience, I suspect that he's proficient in his local area but Alaska is not the local IL or WI State Forest (IL paper) Alaska not really a place most kids think about getting a summer job.

At 47 I know better but say at 19 (if I had the means then) I probably could have seen myself doing something like, say, get a job in Jackson Hole for the summer & try to climb the Grand Teton on my off.

Hopefully next summer finds him taking a NOLS (or similar) course.