Seward Range (Daks) March 17-19 Anyone?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddur

Reaction score
Got the days off to head up North on Thurs March 17 to do some hiking. If I can find anyone interested, I'd like to hit the Seward Range. If not, not sure what I'm going to do, frankly. Common sense tells me don't do it alone...even though I've done 12 of 15 solo already (1 in winter conditions).

I plan to head out of town and sleep in my van Wed 16th, get to and hike in and camp Thurs 17th, get up early and hit the range Fri 18th, not sure what I'll do Sat the 19th (?buttbuster try for Seymour?), then head home on Sun the 20th.

Can I persuade anyone to consider this trip?

I'm very interested but reluctant to put off an attempt so long. However, it looks as if there will be snow up there tonight, Monday and heavy on Tuesday morning so I may be forced to delay. There is already lots of snow up there and it has seen little traffic of late. I need Seward, Donaldson and Emmons and wouldn't mind some help. I know a hiker from the Syracuse area, Ray, who would be interested to hike there this weekend (3/12-13). Unfortunately, this weekend is tied up for me with personal stuff; I'm not sure how to contact Ray either (I was supposed to get his email address to send him his picture on the Allen summit, done yesterday).

So, bottom line, I'm a definite maybe :) . If I can get them done earlier, I will and you'll have tracks to follow; if not, maybe we can give it a go. My attempt was going to be via the so called Caulkin Brook crossover trail. I'm totally unfamiliar with this approach but it sounds like it might be the only way to get these three without an overnight. I wouldn't mind others weighing in on this.

Well good luck with your plans. I'll be following this thread with interest.

Maybe we'll overlap . . .

I'm a winter 45er! I've got one more to do--can you guess?

Seymour!

I've been planning to try to get Seymour in a day trip on one of these dates:
Mon-14th; Tu-15th; Thu-17th; or Sat-19th.

If you're going in on the 17th (or out on the 19th), our paths may cross! I'll be posting a trip on this forum soon myself, to see if I can pick up any more companions (I have at least one friend going with me, now).

We're probably going to try to cross-country ski the road, and as far along the trail as we can.

Hope we can meet on the trail--or maybe we can head in at the same time, depending on when my trip really goes (I'll be watching the weather for the best day).

If you do end up going alone--be cautious. It's so much easier to make decisions on the trail when you know you've got somebody sharing the experience. When you're alone, you've got no one to back you up! (Having said that, I have to admit I've done some solo hikes, too, but it does require a different mindset).

Happy Hiking!!! Hope to see you in the woods!

Whose woods these are, I think I know.
His house is in the village, though.
He will not see me stopping here to watch his woods fill up with snow.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep
But I have promises to keep
And miles to go before I sleep . . . .

--Robert Frost

My revised itinerary is as follows...
Heading out Wed night (16th) and crashing in van,
Driving in and hiking to camp (?Ward Brook Lean-to?)on Thurs (17th),
Hitting Seymour (4120') then moving camp to Calkin's Brook on Fri (18th),
Doing Seward (4361'), Donaldson (4140')and Emmons (4040') on Sat (19th),and (maybe) move closer to the vehicle,
Then heading out and drive home on Sun (20th).

So if you plan to hit Seymour in Friday, Hikerick, Thursday night I'll probably be staying at one of the leantos near the herd path.

I hope to whip up a new packsled to pull my gear in, as my old sled has a BIG hole in the bottom from trying to ride it with my gear down a slope last winter.

Sewards

Two groups are planning to approach the Sewards this weekend via Calkins Brook. An Albany ADK chapter group is going as a day trip on Saturday 3/12. That trip is open to the public and you can get more info via the ADK.org website. A RWMS group is going on an overnight Saturday and Sunday 3/12 and 3/13. That one is closed to additional hikers, but will be making a track that anyone can use.

Rick- I don't ski, so I won't be doing Seymour with you. It certainly makes sense to ski, since it's at least a 20 mile dayhike!

Last edited:
50peaks has reduced my anxiety about getting a chance at the Sewards before the end of winter, since it sounds like this area will get a lot of attention over the weekend (which is out for me). I'll jump on the first decent weather day after Monday. I have the Albany Chapter of the ADK's newletter, "The Cloudsplitter", sitting on my coffee table and never looked to see what was scheduled. Thanks for waking me up.

Maybe someone can educate me as to the meaning of RWMS. Thanks.

Buddur said:
My revised itinerary is as follows...
Heading out Wed night (16th) and crashing in van,
Driving in and hiking to camp (?Ward Brook Lean-to?)on Thurs (17th),
Hitting Seymour (4120') then moving camp to Calkin's Brook on Fri (18th),
Doing Seward (4361'), Donaldson (4140')and Emmons (4040') on Sat (19th),and (maybe) move closer to the vehicle,
Then heading out and drive home on Sun (20th).

So if you plan to hit Seymour in Friday, Hikerick, Thursday night I'll probably be staying at one of the leantos near the herd path.

I hope to whip up a new packsled to pull my gear in, as my old sled has a BIG hole in the bottom from trying to ride it with my gear down a slope last winter.

Noone?

ANYONE???