Should I go for a hike this weekend?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
timmus said:
Everybody likes fluff, especially when bored at work.

...or sick at home ;)

How DARE you accuse me of fluff posting! ;)

This is a serious ethical dilemma - do I selfishly squeeze in bagging some peaks on the weekend of my friend's wedding, or do I skip the hike to make sure I get there on time? I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but the groom is a member of these forums (KLTilton) and I'm in the wedding party...

A couple other members of this forum are getting married on Saturday, too - Adamiata and HockeyCrew... please send along some well-wishes to them if you can. (I'm sure they're not wasting time thinking about where to hike this weekend.)

Keep those suggestions coming - I need inspiration. Can anyone think of a good foliage hike for Saturday afternoon? Looks like the weather is gonna be perfect! And no hiking for me on Sunday - I've got bridesmaids to entertain at the reception! ;)

Well, it looks to be about 100 miles between your house and the wedding so why don't you just leave Friday night and trial run it wuss. Should I hike? Slap yourself! If you don't and I find out by Saturday I'm going to do Little Santanoni without you Sunday or do East TableTop again just for the sh!ts and write a page long trip report about it. But I'll be whacking in NY where the real whackos hang out, wait...that doesn't sound ri...oh, yes it does.

But, you should go to the wedding and meet a chick, maybe one that looks like the chicks in Timmus's JulIlstrations of chicks on Whiteface. Then break up with her of course for reasons related to her hiking to slow. :cool:

For the crowd me and Albee had a side bet on who could do more combined output. The categories where number of peaks, time spent exercising, and total miles during a six week period. On labor day weekend I did a 6hr Saturday. 13.5 hr day Sunday of whacking and followed it with a 9.5hr whack on Monday. Albee took off Friday too and did 16 peaks in the bushwhack form to beat me. So you tell me if you think he is going to hike this weekend. :mad:

albee said:
...I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but the groom is a member of these forums (KLTilton) and I'm in the wedding party...

As a member of the wedding party, your obligation is to be there on time, even a little early to put out any last minute "fires". If you didn't know the bride/groom well, then it's a judgement call. Since you know them and are in the wedding party, it's a no-brainer. You can live without hiking for a saturday. That's not the time to be selfish. Step up, be an adult, and do the right thing.

you asked...

dvbl said:
As a member of the wedding party, your obligation is to be there on time, even a little early to put out any last minute "fires". If you didn't know the bride/groom well, then it's a judgement call. Since you know them and are in the wedding party, it's a no-brainer. You can live without hiking for a saturday. That's not the time to be selfish. Step up, be an adult, and do the right thing.

you asked...

...agreed - being in the wedding party changes everything...

I was thinking about hiking on the Saturday afternoon before the Sunday morning wedding... the only reasons why I would be late the next day are because I got hopelessly lost while bushwhacking (hasn't happened to me so far...) or if I tire myself out too much and sleep through my alarm. To be honest, I'm kinda leaning towards not bushwhacking - I don't want to risk getting a big cut on my face the day before wedding photos are going to be taken.

I'll have plenty of time to make it to the wedding Sunday morning. Besides, the groom never has the fire - isn't it the bride that is more likely to have the meltdown? I can still hike, right?? We've had the bachelor party, I've got my tux (it's in the car somewhere - might be under my sleeping bag...) and everything. We should be all set. So... where should I hike?

I forget the exact road names, but you can take Hurricane Mountain Road (north of town, goes by the Kearsarge North trailhead) to Maine, and connect to 113 that way, bypassing 302 south of North Conway altogether.

I've only hiked in Evans Notch once so far (East Royce), but I think that might be a good place to go - its much quieter than 302/Kanc/Pinkham/etc. on a weekend.

Hurricane Mountain Road -> S. Main Street -> S. Chatham Road (Robbins Hill Road if traffic) -> 113

No rehearsal dinner on Saturday to attend?

Kearsarge North isn't a 'whack but has gorgeous views up top, especially for a late afternoon sunset, and it's on the 52 with a View list I believe.

albee said:
This is a serious ethical dilemma - do I selfishly squeeze in bagging some peaks on the weekend of my friend's wedding, or do I skip the hike to make sure I get there on time? I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but the groom is a member of these forums (KLTilton) and I'm in the wedding party...

I don't think you have any dilemma at all. From what I have seen,read and heard about Kevin he would probably go hiking with you. :rolleyes:

MichaelJ said:
No rehearsal dinner on Saturday to attend?

Kearsarge North isn't a 'whack but has gorgeous views up top, especially for a late afternoon sunset, and it's on the 52 with a View list I believe.
Rehersal is 10 AM on Saturday... as soon as that is done I'm free to hike. (Unless the other groomsmen have other ideas.)

Great suggestion on Kearsarge North, though! But, I've been there already. It is looking like the Royces or the Moats. Or maybe Bald Cap near Gorham. Last weekend I took a short trip up Jockey Cap in Fryeburg - now that was what I call bang for your buck!

Not yet. But I have been to the Doubleheads. In winter, no less!

North Moat

North Moat is real nice. Park at Diana's Baths on Westside Road and go up the Moat Mountain Trail, then continue past the summit and loop back on the Red Ridge Trail. A guy that moves as fast as you will have no problem doing this in about 3 hours. I'd stay away from the Rte 16/302 area in East Conway. If you do go towards Evan's Notch use Hurricane Mtn. Rd. as suggested before.

KDT

I'd say if you're going to hike, go for the Moats. You could do the whole ridge with a car spot (or someone who is willing and able to pick you up) or you could do a loop over North Moat and down Red Ridge. Many weddings happen during the year, foliage only comes once a year! Jess and I trust your judgement on what you can or can't handle. Have fun. That's what the weekend is all about.

Kevin

With 3 pages worth of intellectual effort, you have to tell us what you ended up doing :rolleyes: