SIx Husbands...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Double Bow: I haven't done Israel Ridge completely (yet), but Six Husbands over Jefferson, down Sphinx is probably my favorite loop all time.

To fuel this fire, Castle Ridge is also one of my favorite trails. A sweet (though longish) loop (sort of) is to head over Adams and Madison after Castle Ridge and Jefferson and then down Howker Ridge.

SherpaKroto said:
Double Bow: I haven't done Israel Ridge completely (yet), but Six Husbands over Jefferson, down Sphinx is probably my favorite loop all time.

To fuel this fire, Castle Ridge is also one of my favorite trails. A sweet (though longish) loop (sort of) is to head over Adams and Madison after Castle Ridge and Jefferson and then down Howker Ridge.

!@#$% Howker Ridge! !@#$%!

I think that for the sake of weather on Sat, I am going to hike some other mountains. Probably a Passaconaway - Tripyramids loop.

Double Bow said:
I'm thinking about doing either Six Husbands up and Sphinx down or Israel Ridge/The Link/Castle Ravine up and Castle down. What are people's thoughts on these two loops?
The Six Husbands one is a tougher day, Castle is more routine

I would go up Castle and down Castle Ravine because:
* The loose rock in Castle Ravine is easier downhill
* If you fall in at a stream crossing it is less problem going out
* When you get to the Link/Israel Ridge side trip you can skip it if you are tired

Long Day

Well, the just getting to the beginning of six husbands on the great gulf will take you a couple hours. Its a very narrow rough trail. Also decending the headwall coming down Washington is tough. From the top of Washington to the parking lot at the end of the Great Gulf Trail is just under 8 miles. Honestly, I think its a little much for 1 day.

For me, I would avoid descending the Castle Ravine Trail. Going up a loose slide you can at least test each step before commiting all your weight. Going down a loose slide of softball to basketball size rocks was not something I remember with fondness. Definitely do-able, just had to dodge the rocks that my partners behind me dislodged. Beautiful wild area!